Getting a refund in other than the original payment

Old Sep 5, 18, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Getting a refund in other than the original payment

This is a bit of a convuluted situation. I purchased a ticket on Travelocity.com and after many issues trying to get a change they agreed to simply purchase me a new ticket using their credit card. They purchased a fully refundable business class ticket ($7k) for a one way from lhr to tpa.

I will not be taking this flight. I have contacted Swiss first and they said I need to deal with Travelocity. I spent hours with Travelocity but they said they can only refund it to the original payment method; which is their credit card. I was hoping for a check refund or simply a travel credit. My last ditch effort is to go to Heathrow on the day of the ticket (before the departure time) and speak to a rep there. Am I wasting my time going? Any other options Iím missing?
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Wouldn't they be refunding you what YOU paid? Not what it ended up costing them? Confused....
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 18, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much did you pay for the original ticket?

Travelocity has your funds so the carrier won't refund the ticket no matter the day.
Old Sep 6, 18, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I paid around $5k for my ticket originally. I needed to make a change to the return date. I paid Travelocity $450 to change it and they said they did. However two days later they told me they couldnít. They they agreed to simply buy me a new ticket.

Yes i paid Travelocity, but I would assume they paid Swiss, so Swiss has the money?
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Swiss will not touch a ticket if you have not flown any of it and advise you to contact the office that issued it for a refund.
Old Sep 6, 18, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
I paid around $5k for my ticket originally. I needed to make a change to the return date. I paid Travelocity $450 to change it and they said they did. However two days later they told me they couldnít. They they agreed to simply buy me a new ticket.

Yes i paid Travelocity, but I would assume they paid Swiss, so Swiss has the money?
That is not how it works. Your example is one of the reasons. The carrier only knows what it got paid, it has no idea what you paid and you, of course, are not entitled to a refund of more than you paid, e.g. $5K. The $450 is a fee you owed and the balance goes back to the TA's operating funds.

What is it you want from the carrier which you can't get from the TA?
Old Sep 9, 18, 6:12 pm

I am not sure I follow what the problem here is. In any case, I will comment on the title line: no one will refund this kind of money to anything other than the original means of payment because of the risk of money laundering and fraud.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:38 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmff View Post
I am not sure I follow what the problem here is. In any case, I will comment on the title line: no one will refund this kind of money to anything other than the original means of payment because of the risk of money laundering and fraud.
Plus this is not in line with PCI (Payment Card Industry) regulations. Refund needs to go to the original form of payment. Otherwise Travelocity might be fined by the credit card company.
Old Sep 10, 18, 9:24 am

Feeling in the pit of my stomach that OP wants a "refund" of $7K on a $5K ticket.

I would like someone to send me $2K out of the blue on a regular basis as well.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Feeling in the pit of my stomach that OP wants a "refund" of $7K on a $5K ticket.

Please add me to that list.
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

i'm honestly not sure if you guys are serious or just playing stupid. i'll try to simplify this for you guys (since some of you obviously need it)

1- i purchased a roundtrip business class ticket on travelocity

2- needed to make a change to said ticket

3- called travelocity. they charged me $450 to change ticket and said all was well

4- two days later they call me and told me unfortunately that change never ticketed. they dont know why. they spent the last two days working on it but cant get it ticketed

5- they said they would simply purchase me a one way business class ticket as a courtesy since they already charged me the change fee

6- they purchased a $7k one way refundable business class ticket for me using their credit card

7- a few days before that ticket i had to be elsewhere; no longer needing that ticket. i made my own arrangements

8- i was simply asking if i could get any value out of that ticket. i was perfectly fine for a swiss credit for future travel

does that clear it up? where did i say i want a refund of $7k on a $5k ticket?

at the end of the day i didnt have time to deal with it at the airport and simply cancelled that ticket.
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post

Please add me to that list.

i hope both of your stomachs are doing ok. sending my thoughts and prayers to you.
Old Sep 12, 18, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
I would argue that the terms of travelocity apply that you had for the original ticket. Is it originally fully refundable? I and we canít know that, your best bet is to contact travelocity and ask them.

The original post makes it sound that you want a refund for the ticket they bought you out of curtesy, ignoring the conditions of the original ticket.
windchaser777 and Fabo.sk like this.

Search this Thread