ZRH layover recommendation?

Old Aug 25, 18, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Question ZRH layover recommendation?

Scheduled to arrive at 9:55pm from MAD and depart 7:20am following morning to AMS, all on Swiss Airlines, Business Class. Would like to rest/sleep for 6 hours. Will have lounge access. What are some recommendations? Do flights use the same terminal? Is it necessary to clear security?
Old Aug 25, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Aren't lounges closed overnight?

Your best bet is to get a hotel.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler View Post
Scheduled to arrive at 9:55pm from MAD and depart 7:20am following morning to AMS, all on Swiss Airlines, Business Class. Would like to rest/sleep for 6 hours. Will have lounge access. What are some recommendations? Do flights use the same terminal? Is it necessary to clear security?
It is the same terminal and you do not have to clear security, unless you go to a hotel as our colleague has recommended.
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:15 am

Programs: LX SEN
All LX lounges close at 10:30 PM and I doubt that you can stay overnight somewhere in the public area. There is the Transit Hotel in at the D gates (you have yo go through the passport control to access:
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...706.1535285232
A single room is 75CHF, double 99 CHF.
Otherwise, there are a number of hotel close to the Terminal, but they are likely more expensive.
Old Aug 26, 18, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viennafly View Post
All LX lounges close at 10:30 PM and I doubt that you can stay overnight somewhere in the public area. There is the Transit Hotel in at the D gates (you have yo go through the passport control to access:
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...706.1535285232
A single room is 75CHF, double 99 CHF.
Otherwise, there are a number of hotel close to the Terminal, but they are likely more expensive.
Thanks all for replies. Looks like the single room is 94 CHF for night check-in. Also they say passport control closes at 11pm, meaning one can't get into Transit Hotel if my arriving flight is delayed a bit?
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:38 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
[QUOTE=worldwidetraveler;301314Also they say passport control closes at 11pm, meaning one can't get into Transit Hotel if my arriving flight is delayed a bit?[/QUOTE]

Correct, passport control does close, so no way to access unless your arrival is at D gates.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks all for replies. Looks like the single room is 94 CHF for night check-in. Also they say passport control closes at 11pm, meaning one can't get into Transit Hotel if my arriving flight is delayed a bit?
Not cheap, but I usually stay at The Radisson in airport, apx a 10 min walk once outside the arrival term. Follow signs for the train, cross the roadway and enter building directly across the road, inside turn Left and follow the signs to the hotel.

If you are a US citizen with a US address you can apply for the Radisson CC give syou 80k an dthe hotel is 70k, also gives you Gold which is good for a Biz Room Up which gives you the mini bar ex beer and spirits for $0, just make sure they dont charge you when leaving

There are other hotels nearby via a shuttle, most free to the hotel, charge for the return to ZRH, must sign up and by the time you get there most likely the early morn shuttles will be full already
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:39 am

I'd strongly recommend to head for a proper airport hotel - the Ibis Budget can be had for around 80-90 CHF most nights. It's much superior (if you can use this kind of language on an Ibis Budget..) to the Transit "Hotel". For about the same price. It's a 15min walk from the airport. Alternatively, if your budget is slightly higher, there are better hotels available too, most with shuttle buses..
Old Aug 27, 18, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
I'd strongly recommend to head for a proper airport hotel - the Ibis Budget can be had for around 80-90 CHF most nights. It's much superior (if you can use this kind of language on an Ibis Budget..) to the Transit "Hotel". For about the same price. It's a 15min walk from the airport. Alternatively, if your budget is slightly higher, there are better hotels available too, most with shuttle buses..
Thanks for the suggestion. Since I arrive at 10pm and must be back at the airport around 5:30am the next morning, is it safe to do the 15 minute walk in the dark? I don,t expect to have luggage.
I see that there is tram service. Does it operate during those times & accept euros?

Old Aug 27, 18, 12:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks for the suggestion. Since I arrive at 10pm and must be back at the airport around 5:30am the next morning, is it safe to do the 15 minute walk in the dark? I don,t expect to have luggage.
I see that there is tram service. Does it operate during those times & accept euros?
Iíve stayed at the Transit ďHotelĒ once and definitely recommend a proper hotel outside the airport. Iíve also walked to the Hilton once during the day which is about the same distance from the airport as the Ibis Budget. Itís probably safe at night but finding your way could be tricky.

The last light rail from the airport seems to be at 23:39 so you should be fine. Thereís no need to be back at the airport 2 hours before departure if you are travelling in business. I doubt if they accept euros.
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:36 pm

They accept credit cards, though

Please note it will be quite expensive for two one-way tickets (not sure if it's 2.70 or 4.40 CHF per ticket - the machine will tell you when you but it), but obviously if you're too tired to do the walk, being a sane alternative. With a 7.20am departure, I'd try to arrive at the airport no later than 6.30am if you intend to have a quick breakfast in the lounge.

Switzerland is very safe, by the way - and this is probably one of the safest areas, on top of that
Its easy to walk to the Ibis (basically just follow the tram line/below the tram line)
Nick Art likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 3:47 pm

I know that this is off topic regarding the hotel piece here but...this seems like a terrible way of traveling between Madrid and Amsterdam.
Old Aug 29, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
I know that this is off topic regarding the hotel piece here but...this seems like a terrible way of traveling between Madrid and Amsterdam.
Business Class award ticket routing.
Old Aug 29, 18, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Does your Business Class award ticket allow you to replace MAD-ZRH-AMS with a surface segment MAD-AMS? You'd save a lot of money, not to mention time, by just buying any LCC one-way ticket MAD-AMS rather than going through the ZRH layover ordeal.
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli View Post
Does your Business Class award ticket allow you to replace MAD-ZRH-AMS with a surface segment MAD-AMS? You'd save a lot of money, not to mention time, by just buying any LCC one-way ticket MAD-AMS rather than going through the ZRH layover ordeal.
changes can cause loss of award reservation plus there are fees. I see no money savings by making changes this late in the game!

Search this Thread