FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Baggage allowance on SWISS intra-Europe flight with United-issued award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1924249-baggage-allowance-swiss-intra-europe-flight-united-issued-award-ticket.html)

tomst Aug 8, 2018 9:10 pm

Baggage allowance on SWISS intra-Europe flight with United-issued award ticket

Suppose I go ahead and book an intra-EU one-way award ticket issued by United but operated by SWISS (e.g. ZRH-WAW for 8k miles + surcharges). United nicely shows me the baggage charges on the booking page, showing $0 for 1st bag and $100 for 2nd bag, regardless of status (it shows the same charges for General members as well as Premier Platinum, which I am). Unfortunately the forum doesn't allow me to post a screenshot, but it's on their "Review trip itinerary" page.

- Is the baggage allowance United is explicitly showing me here accurate? I'm UA Premier Platinum, but it lists the same charges for general members.
- I'm not seeing the $100 fee for a second bag on SWISS' excess baggage page (sorry forum won't let me post URLs), where does this come from?
- According to United's booking page, the first bag is free but the second is paid. If this is an Economy Light fare, I would expect to pay for both bags. However, if this isn't an Economy Light fare, then I would expect to have two bags free as a Gold member. What kind of product am I booking here?
- Who is accountable if I show up at the airport and they will try and charge me for a bag?

aflo Aug 9, 2018 12:09 am

- Is the baggage allowance United is explicitly showing me here accurate? I'm UA Premier Platinum, but it lists the same charges for general members.
First bag allowance is correct for award ticket.

- I'm not seeing the $100 fee for a second bag on SWISS' excess baggage page (sorry forum won't let me post URLs), where does this come from?
If you are Star Gold and if you have booked an award ticket there is no fee for a second bag. I think currently the correct fee is somewhere around 25 CHF per direction, if no status and not light ticket. United's $100 fee quote is wrong.

- According to United's booking page, the first bag is free but the second is paid. If this is an Economy Light fare, I would expect to pay for both bags. However, if this isn't an Economy Light fare, then I would expect to have two bags free as a Gold member. What kind of product am I booking here?
Award is not light, i.e. includes (at least) one piece of hold luggage.

- Who is accountable if I show up at the airport and they will try and charge me for a bag?
They won't

tomst Aug 24, 2018 2:43 pm

I just booked my flight, and when I inspect my PNR on swiss.com it lets me purchase a "First item of baggage" for CHF 30, and it says "No checked baggage included in Light fare". I'm booked in Economy X. So is SWISS' website wrong here?

.Benjamin. Sep 11, 2018 7:21 am

Hi guys,

I'm flying TLV-DFW With Swiss and I'm Gold with United. What is my baggage allowance? 2X23/KG?

Edit: It's not an award ticket, it was a fully paid ticket booked with United.

aflo Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by tomst (Post 30126060)
I just booked my flight, and when I inspect my PNR on swiss.com it lets me purchase a "First item of baggage" for CHF 30, and it says "No checked baggage included in Light fare". I'm booked in Economy X. So is SWISS' website wrong here?

Yes, the website is still wrong, if there hasn't been a change in policy. Just call Swiss if you want to be 100% sure.

aflo Sep 11, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by .Benjamin. (Post 30191689)
Hi guys,

I'm flying TLV-DFW With Swiss and I'm Gold with United. What is my baggage allowance? 2X23/KG?

Edit: It's not an award ticket, it was a fully paid ticket booked with United.

If it's not a light ticket, then yes, 2x23kg. I don't know if United is currently issuing light tickets for Swiss.