Swiss lost my checked items, but is denying any compensation without receipts

Old Aug 2, 18, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Swiss lost my checked items, but is denying any compensation without receipts

Hi everyone

I was flying paid Swiss business class. They broke my checked bag, and now items within the bag are missing. They have admitted they can't find my items, and have asked me for receipts to prove my ownership. While they were costly Italian designer clothing, I don't keep receipts for my own clothes. I suspect most people don't keep receipts for anything in their luggages!

This is their response:
In respects to your claim, as we have received no supporting documentation on the lost items as given in the inventory, we cannot propose settlement for the reported losses.

We must therefore decline your claim.

If at any point you are able to supply documentation as requested, we will reconsider your claim. As sated we will consider credit card statements indicating purchases or duplicate receipts.

Thank you for your understanding.

Can anyone assist? I'm in shock that you can pay thousands of dollars to fly with Swiss, who feels they have no responsibility to compensate for their mishandling errors/baggage thefts. This is terrible service and they haven't even tried to make any accommodations for my loss that they caused.
Old Aug 2, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
This is not specific to LX. Airline liability for checked baggage (loss, damage, theft) is described in the tariffs and typically limited by international conventions (Montréal or Warsaw accords).

For anything beyond those low limits, you have travel insurance.
Old Aug 2, 18, 2:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
If they would not ask for receits and proof of ownership one could claim that anything would have been in the suitcase. And I‘d see a lot of people abusing that. (All of a sudden every lost piece of baggage had a stradivari inside).
Hence they ask you for proof. What you could do I try and look up your credit card bills, if you paid by card, for the items that were lost.
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:38 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
LX response is understandable, with insurance one still has to be able to justify or prove a loss, credit card or debit card receipts should be sufficient.
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. I checked out the Montreal Convention, looks like max $2000 compensation but I didn't see anything regarding receipts.

I understand the fear of outlandish, unscrupulous claims, however, I'm claiming for reasonable items - just my clothes. Not gold bars or violins. My initial goal was just to get my items back, I don't even want the money. I'm only claiming compensation now because they were unable to return them back to me. Unfortunately money can't replace my exact belongings, but Swiss, not the PAX, should take responsibility for their negligence.

I'm fed up and have passed this on to my company's travel and legal teams as I was travelling for work, they can probably get further than myself as an individual. I've spent too much time on this already!
Old Aug 3, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
I'm sorry your items were lost. This is why I keep a detailed list of everything packed in my luggage, checked or not. I keep all receipts for clothing, cosmetics, tech and travel items. I just put them on a shelf in my closet, easy to grab in case of fire evacuation. It's also a good idea to photograph items being packed, especially in checked luggage. I must admit I always forget to take the photos... And high value items are always in my personal item so no one can force a gate check.
Old Aug 3, 18, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
I'm sorry your items were lost. This is why I keep a detailed list of everything packed in my luggage, checked or not. I keep all receipts for clothing, cosmetics, tech and travel items. I just put them on a shelf in my closet, easy to grab in case of fire evacuation. It's also a good idea to photograph items being packed, especially in checked luggage. I must admit I always forget to take the photos... And high value items are always in my personal item so no one can force a gate check.
Thank you Dianne.. do you think photographs alone would suffice for a claim? Though I can keep my receipts going forward, my existing items will be at risk. And while I am mindful to retain all my super valuable items in my carry-on, there's just not enough space for everything unfortunately.
Old Aug 3, 18, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Midnightmartini, in your original post you quoted LX communication that said,

"as we have received no supporting documentation on the lost items as given in the inventory, we cannot propose settlement for the reported losses.

We must therefore decline your claim."

I don't know what LX considers to be supporting documentation, but it might be a list of the missing items and receipts for same. If there is any way you can go back and reconstruct what you packed and come up with receipts, that probably would suffice. Do you have photos of any of the missing items while you were on the trip?

LX also said, "If at any point you are able to supply documentation as requested, we will reconsider your claim. As sated [sic] we will consider credit card statements indicating purchases or duplicate receipts."

It seems your only recourse is trying to find duplicate receipts (phone the stores where you purchased?) or showing credit card statements. I wish you luck, BTW any insurance company would require the same to satisfy a claim.

Search this Thread