FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Swiss has "officially" become LCC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1922563-swiss-has-officially-become-lcc.html)

Carpacchio Jul 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Swiss has "officially" become LCC

At least in economy they have no ambition anymore to be 5* - and they think about introducing the great BoB concept also from ZRH.

Articles in...
...German: https://www.blick.ch/news/wirtschaft...id8670171.html
...French: 20 minutes - Swiss est devenue une compagnie low-cost - News

Nick Art Jul 31, 2018 1:29 am

The Horror... The Horror...

But tbh, articles in either 20 Minuten or Blick I don‘t take very seriously. It‘s always the same sensational press writen specifically for the standard angry citizen, so he can have is daily dose of being outraged by pretty much anything.

The article only states facts we have already discussed in the dedicated BoB thread and quotes a random guy who only thinks they will i troduce it in ZRH.

airoli Jul 31, 2018 3:02 am

Zero news in this article. It only describes the reality of all European short-haul airlines, irrespective of their heritage as "flag carriers" or "LCC start-ups".

I am confident that BoB will come to flights ex ZRH before the end of the year, and to the rest of the LH Group before the end of 2019.

ced_lx Aug 1, 2018 8:04 am

Seriously. If anything the "news" in the last couple of years is that there is more and more of a differentiation between economy and business/first. But this applies to most airlines. With SWISS this is more pronounced since there is no Premium economy.

Concerto Aug 1, 2018 10:04 am

It’s still a shame because SWISS was very pleasant to fly in Economy, with often pretty decent catering. I wish they’d stop trying to compete and just up the ticket price a bit and offer decent service. I mean, looking at today’s 1st August offer, Lisbon is CHF89 round trip. They don’t need to make it so cheap, really.

fassy Aug 2, 2018 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 30035713)
They don’t need to make it so cheap, really.

They do. Even though there are some people which rather pay 25 EUR more for a flight, there are hundreds of other which will go for EasyJet, Ryanair etc just because they are 1 EUR cheaper. I know a family (actually with a quite decent income) where the mom is spending weeks looking for the cheapest possible return flight for the family vacation. And we are not talking J deals across the Atlantic, more like some shabby touristy beach in Spain, Turkey or Tunesia.

oliver2002 Aug 2, 2018 6:10 am

I remember Hubert Frach, the then head of LH marketing, saying: 'People are happy to pay 20-30 GBP/Person to go into Madame Tussauds, but if LH is not cheaper than 100€, they will book Ryanair & Easyjet and pay more to come in from LTN/STN' ;)

worldclubber Aug 2, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 30038719)
I remember Hubert Frach, the then head of LH marketing, saying: 'People are happy to pay 20-30 GBP/Person to go into Madame Tussauds, but if LH is not cheaper than 100€, they will book Ryanair & Easyjet and pay more to come in from LTN/STN' ;)

And, unfortunately, for most/many people, he was right. :(

Nic33 Aug 2, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 30038719)

Hahahaha, great demonstration about human non-sense.

But it is not so simple. I few weeks ago I had to buy a one-way ticket GVA-IBZ. EZ was they only company offering a direct flight. So I flew with EZ. Price was about CHF 250 (one way). Firstly, it was not cheap. Secondly, I chose an LCC because LX does not operate a direct flight. And finally, had LX offered a direct flight, I would have considered the flight schedule as well.

Had LX/EZ offered the same direct flight on a similar schedule, I would have accepted to pay about 20% more for LX, mainly to be able to access the lounge in GVA, as I was flying in the evening (when risks of delays are greater). To have to pay a few EUR for a drink or not is low on my list of criteria.

airoli Aug 2, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nic33 (Post 30040132)
Had LX/EZ offered the same direct flight on a similar schedule, I would have accepted to pay about 20% more for LX, mainly to be able to access the lounge in GVA, as I was flying in the evening (when risks of delays are greater). To have to pay a few EUR for a drink or not is low on my list of criteria.

First of all, had LX offered a competing flight with EZ on that route, fares (= yield) on both airlines would have immediately dropped a lot, killing margins. That is exactly what AB did to LH Group until its collapse.

At that point, few if any potential passengers would truly book (and not just say so) an LX fare 20% higher than the EZ fare. And if they did, they would do so only to use the extra services you mention (lounge, miles, status, drinks etc.) - which in aggregate cost much more than the 20% yield premium LX gets, thus making the entire operation unprofitable.

Again, I truly wish that there was a sizable, sustainable premium demand within Europe to keep traditional "legacy" operations flying. But there just isn't.

Concerto Aug 2, 2018 1:11 pm

Really seems you are right, sadly. We are at the tail end of it now. All the same, my SUN-AIR flight from FDH to DUS this evening was greatly appreciated by all. Great service with a truly traditional flight attendant, aperitif with pretzels, main meal service, ice cream with liqueurs.