Carry on [C] LX flights to/from the US

Old Jul 28, 18, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Carry on [C] LX flights to/from the US

We will by flying LX in C (OSL-ZRH-SFO-ZRH-OSL) for the first time and I have a question regarding our carry-on allowance.
As I understand their baggage rules we are entitled to 2x8 kg each plus a handbag/laptop bag.

However, lower down on this page (https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/prepare/...e/hand-baggage) I read the following:
"Countries such as Italy and the USA have stricter rules regarding hand luggage. Passengers in First and Business Class with a second item of hand luggage must check it in if travelling to those countries."

Is this normally enforced? Since we won't be checking in at ZRH I'm wondering if they will require it at the gate. (And will we have to pay for the checked carry on if we have filled out checked baggage allowance from OSL?)

And for the return leg - checking in at SFO - will they require the second item to be checked?

Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 18, 5:27 am

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Originally Posted by CalmKaren View Post
We will by flying LX in C (OSL-ZRH-SFO-ZRH-OSL) for the first time and I have a question regarding our carry-on allowance.
As I understand their baggage rules we are entitled to 2x8 kg each plus a handbag/laptop bag.

However, lower down on this page (https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/prepare/...e/hand-baggage) I read the following:
"Countries such as Italy and the USA have stricter rules regarding hand luggage. Passengers in First and Business Class with a second item of hand luggage must check it in if travelling to those countries."

Is this normally enforced? Since we won't be checking in at ZRH I'm wondering if they will require it at the gate. (And will we have to pay for the checked carry on if we have filled out checked baggage allowance from OSL?)

And for the return leg - checking in at SFO - will they require the second item to be checked?

Thanks.
I never had any such issue on LX C flights to the US (or anywhere else, for that matter). I wouldn’t worry about it, worst case is if they force you to check one piece of your carry on allowance but no way you will have to pay for that privilege.
Old Jul 29, 18, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Just the answer I was looking for - thanks for the quick response.
Old Aug 4, 18, 7:50 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LH Senator ** (ex SR TC G), Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by CalmKaren View Post
Just the answer I was looking for - thanks for the quick response.
I am regularly flying out of Italy (MXP) with LX and hand luggage (in C and as a SEN) was never an issue. The second piece rule is present tough.

If you have status with the LH group, put the tag on your hand luggage, so you will escape the hand luggage "police" in Zurich at the gates.

Search this Thread