Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-Lounge Visit from Transit Hotel when Departing on Schengen Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

E-Lounge Visit from Transit Hotel when Departing on Schengen Flight

I have a bit complicated situation over transit in Zurich Airport who really wants to try out the First Lounge in E.

This is my itinerary:

-------------------------------------------------------
Day 1: Arrive in Zurich by SK flight from Stockholm at 18:00 (in economy).

I will enter Switzerland, and re-check in again after picking up my luggage for the next morning flight. I have a confirmed reservation with Transit Hotel that night. The hotel is located not in Schengen Area, nor E Gates area, but in D Gates area.

Day 2: Depart from Zurich by 08:20 departure LH flight (in business); followed by long-haul LH (in first) from FRA onward, both in the same ticket, same day.
-------------------------------------------------------

1) As per Swiss website, checking in at ZRH starts 24hrs before the flight departure, so that means can I still check-in for the next-day flight, and proceed to the transit area to have an overnight in the transit hotel?

2) Since the hotel is located in non-Schengen area, I suppose the access to E Gates area must be easy?

3) Will I be allowed to use the E's F Lounge, even if my departing flight will be from Schengen area? I'm not too keen on spending time at A Lounge.

4) Will I be able to come back to Schengen departure area after using the E Lounge? I've read this would be possible on this forum provided I clear immigration formality, but just wanted to reconfirm.

5) I know this does not fit in the airline's rule, but has anyone tried using any lounge (either F or Senator) for the next-day departing flight? According to LH their rule explicitly states the lounge access must be the same-day departure, but I was hoping just in case if some lounge dragons were to go easy on this rule

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:31 am

1) You can check-in for tomorrows flight, BUT the scanner on getting airside again will go all red. You can try with the staff, by showing your transit hotel booking, they might let you in. But they don't have to.
2) ZRH airport as a whole is very easy to get around, especially now since they've installed automatic passport scanners I have pretty much "guaranteed walking times" between the various gates. However, you'll need to have a passport (or visa) that allows for unlimited entry/exit of the Schengen zone, since passing from A to D/E and vice versa is leaving the Schengen Area and coming back, just like you actually flew to, say, the UK, and came back.
3) Accessing the F lounge in Terminal E with a Schengen boarding pass is perfectly fine. However, you'll not have a same-day departing boarding pass. Not so sure how much they'll bend the rules in your case. Since your ticket essentially starts in ZRH a day later, I could also see them refusing you entry based on that. By the rules, you'll have no access.
4) Yes, just like described in (2), if your passport/visa does allow it.
5) As in (3), this might work, but they might be much less interested in bending the rules in your case since you're starting your ticket in ZRH, and aren't on a true overnight transit there. (like when you book something like LHR-ZRH-PVG and have an overnight in ZRH because of the LHR-ZRH flight being in the late afternoon) - I would say that with a ticket starting in ZRH, the chance they'll bend the rules are below 50%.

Personally, the transit hotel would be my absolutely last choice. There are lots of choices at/near the airport who aren't usually very expensive (for Swiss levels) and are offering much better options.

I totally understand your FT spirit, in lounge maximization, but what you're trying to achieve here might be over the top.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Your chances of using the F lounge the night before are zero.

I asked once when I had an overnight layover on the same ticket with a departure in LX F early the next morning if I could have dinner at the FCL and they said „no way“!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Your chances of using the F lounge the night before are zero.

I asked once when I had an overnight layover on the same ticket with a departure in LX F early the next morning if I could have dinner at the FCL and they said „no way“!
Yes & how ridiculous is that if your on a through F ticket........

Those LD’s in ZRH can be brutal, particularly in FCLA......some make me feel like they are doing me a special favour letting me in on an intra EU flight in J as HON
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Personally, the transit hotel would be my absolutely last choice. There are lots of choices at/near the airport who aren't usually very expensive (for Swiss levels) and are offering much better options.
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking for a decent accommodation around the airport or near city centre but they are mostly way more higher up in budget than the transit hotel (which is only at CHF 94 for 15:00-09:00 use, quite generous too by Swiss standard).

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Well I don't count on it too. I should just be coming to the lounge in the early morning of departure date

Originally Posted by chris63
Those LD’s in ZRH can be brutal, particularly in FCLA......some make me feel like they are doing me a special favour letting me in on an intra EU flight in J as HON
Haha, I must make myself humble then
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:37 am

94 CHF is usually more than what the Ibis charges (which is a easy 15min stroll from the airport, or 3min by their shuttle bus)

More decent hotels can also be had for about the same (or not significantly more)

Could you let us know the night you're staying here? I'd like to double check on it (maybe a big event like the Formula E race during it?)

I'd definitely choose a real hotel to get "proper" sleep and to avoid having extra fights with security etc. (they don't have to let you going airside again.. what if they don't budge?) - especially ahead of a "First class day" where I want to be rested
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

94 CHF is usually more than what the Ibis charges (which is a easy 15min stroll from the airport, or 3min by their shuttle bus)

More decent hotels can also be had for about the same (or not significantly more)

Could you let us know the night you're staying here? I'd like to double check on it (maybe a big event like the Formula E race during it?)

I'd definitely choose a real hotel to get "proper" sleep and to avoid having extra fights with security etc. (they don't have to let you going airside again.. what if they don't budge?) - especially ahead of a "First class day" where I want to be rested
Indeed, I'd gladly take your advice. I just found out that the transit hotel does not come with en-suite bathroom, so for about the same price (CHF 20 more than the transit hotel but worth it considering the attached bathroom) I was able to book Ibis Budget Zurich Airport. Yes and it seems that the hotel price in city is high during my visit since it overlaps with the Formula E race dates. Thanks for your valuable advice!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by sushimaru
Indeed, I'd gladly take your advice. I just found out that the transit hotel does not come with en-suite bathroom, so for about the same price (CHF 20 more than the transit hotel but worth it considering the attached bathroom) I was able to book Ibis Budget Zurich Airport. Yes and it seems that the hotel price in city is high during my visit since it overlaps with the Formula E race dates. Thanks for your valuable advice!
Happy to help. Let me know if they refuse you entry into the lounge and/or you're fancying a beer anyway. I'll be available to share a drink landside
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Happy to help. Let me know if they refuse you entry into the lounge and/or you're fancying a beer anyway. I'll be available to share a drink landside
A nice pint of cold beer is just what I need after coming from a few days trip in Scandinavia . Will PM you shortly on my exact schedule.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

How nice ! True FT spirit 👍
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:29 am

I see you have already solved this but, for future reference, security WILL let you through to the Transit hotel with a boarding pass for the next morning.
The transit hotel is very basic. I stayed there once when there was a difference of a few hundred chfs between it and the nearby hotels. In ordinary circumstances, I would choose another hotel.
Swiss staff don't do rule bending IME. Same day first class ticket = lounge access. Any other complicated itinerary = forget it!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:05 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Is this a private or an open meet-up in ZRH? (I just don't want to force invite myself and make it awkward :P )
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:13 pm

At least from my side, it's definitely open (but with clear focus on getting sushimaru some cold beer )

If he's alright with it, you're more than welcome to join.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Is this a private or an open meet-up in ZRH? (I just don't want to force invite myself and make it awkward :P )
At least from my side, it's definitely open (but with clear focus on getting sushimaru some cold beer )

If he's alright with it, you're more than welcome to join.
Welcome to join . It'll be in the evening of 11th June, so if you are interested let us know.

Originally Posted by monkeyseedofly
I see you have already solved this but, for future reference, security WILL let you through to the Transit hotel with a boarding pass for the next morning.
The transit hotel is very basic. I stayed there once when there was a difference of a few hundred chfs between it and the nearby hotels. In ordinary circumstances, I would choose another hotel.
Swiss staff don't do rule bending IME. Same day first class ticket = lounge access. Any other complicated itinerary = forget it!
Good to know, thanks for the information. Glad to have chosen a hotel stay outside. Looks like it's all clear about no flexibility when it comes to LX lounge access!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.