Wiki Posts
Search

Edelweiss vs. LH long haul business class

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Edelweiss vs. LH long haul business class

Hi,

I am looking to book a trip from CPH to GIG and have the option of using either LH (747-8) or Edelweiss (A340) for the long haul part.
Any suggestion as to which is better for a big man who values seat comfort and size?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by juniordk2000
Hi,

I am looking to book a trip from CPH to GIG and have the option of using either LH (747-8) or Edelweiss (A340) for the long haul part.
Any suggestion as to which is better for a big .man who values seat comfort and size?
WK has essentially the same seats (albeit with a slightly better IFE screen) that LX uses on its A330. So if you are traveling alone this has the advantage of single seats (while both carriers have lie flats, IMHO the LX/WK ones afford more privacy); go for the 12/15/17K window seats with WK, as for sleeping you get more room on the side than the A throne seats. I prefer LX over LH service-wise anyway, and although WK may be LX’s leisure subsidiary (e.g., catering is completely different to LX and tends to focus more on wholesome Swiss dining) often the WK crews are more motivated than their LX counterparts because they get longer layovers at leisure destinations. Add to that ZRH being much more convenient than FRA for transiting, so if fares are equal and WK schedules work (the connecting CPHZRHCPH would be LX anyway) I would favor LX/WK via ZRH.

And if you can’t decide, given that these carriers are all part of the same group you can probably even try one outbound and the other inbound for the same fare.

Old May 29, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Just a slight warning in terms of earning miles. WK earns no status miles and only earns bonus miles in M&M if booked under the LX code. In the SK Eurobonus program, flights operated by WK don't earn anything at all. So if you are going for status (re)qualification in M&M or earning in Eurobonus, you should fly LH.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:22 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Just a slight warning in terms of earning miles. WK earns no status miles and only earns bonus miles in M&M if booked under the LX code. In the SK Eurobonus program, flights operated by WK don't earn anything at all. So if you are going for status (re)qualification in M&M or earning in Eurobonus, you should fly LH.
Wrong. This has recently changed: You do earn status miles on m&m with flights operated by WK under LX Flight Number. However on Eurobonus Edelweiss operated flights don't give you any miles sadly. (I hope that this will change soon enough)
My recent Edw flight from ZRH to RAK:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d41ecfd526.png
Old May 30, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by swiss_global
There were some changes in regard to collecting miles on WK in M&M. Y

Edelweiss FAQ

Can I collect Miles & More miles on Edelweiss flights?

Yes. Miles & More is the frequent flyer programme of SWISS. You can collect your premium miles and status miles, HON Circle miles and Executive Bonus on selected LX codeshare flights in the following range: LX8000-LX8499 (all Edelweiss flights).
Old May 30, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.
Work dictated which day I had to return and hence settled the question in LH's favor.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Thanks NickArt and Olivier for updating me, as well as my posting! It looks like this has indeed changed on 1 March 2018, at least on M&M
Old May 31, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
This development being able to earn Status and HON miles on LX marketed WK flights is pretty major and very positive imo.. I never understood why you didn’t.
It’ll actually affect my booking choices as I was actively avoiding a few of these flights in favour of worse connections or LH.
worldclubber and moreaki like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by vantage03
This development being able to earn Status and HON miles on LX marketed WK flights is pretty major and very positive imo.. I never understood why you didn’t.
It’ll actually affect my booking choices as I was actively avoiding a few of these flights in favour of worse connections or LH.
Exactly!

Family vacation in late summer will be in WK C (LX flight number). Would have thought twice without the change.

Just hope WK service gets more knowledgeable about these things, too.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just hope we'll soon be able to earn miles on WK also for all the other *A programs! (Especially Eurobonus, actually only Eurobonus, screw the others )
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I just hope we'll soon be able to earn miles on WK also for all the other *A programs! (Especially Eurobonus, actually only Eurobonus, screw the others )
I doubt we will see that go beyond M&M any time soon.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldclubber

I doubt we will see that go beyond M&M any time soon.
With Uniteds MileagePlus you eanr miles on EDW...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
With Uniteds MileagePlus you eanr miles on EDW...
Yeah, but there is a special relationship between LH and UA and NH.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
With the changes at EDW, can SEN/HON get the same benefits regarding miles redemptions as on LX/LH flights? Things such as

- companion awards for 50% of miles
- award availability guarantee for HONs 2 weeks before departure as long as there are paid seats
- SEN award for 150% of miles

I did not find relevant information on M&M (Edelweiss is not listed as an airline at all on all the M&M pages, neither for earnings nor for mileage spending).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Bump.

Any updates/insights on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.