Newbie Question First-time upgrade; what are the letters (e.g. Y to J)?

Old May 21, 18, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

First-time upgrade; what are the letters (e.g. Y to J)?

I catch a flight booked through United beginning of July from LAX to ZRH and I'd like to get a cash upgrade to the business class. When I started to read myself in, one thing that confused me was the letters... I only flew once Swiss and than only Economy so I didn't really pay attention to it. Can somebody (try) to explain it to me? Do I need to ask for a certain "letter upgrade" at the check-in or can I just ask for a Business Class upgrade? I was booked on Economy (T).

I've also read a bit in the big thread here (Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at the airport on Swiss) about the numbers... So I guess somewhere between 1100-1500$ should I expect to pay for the upgrade?
Old May 21, 18, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by heubergen View Post
I catch a flight booked through United beginning of July from LAX to ZRH and I'd like to get a cash upgrade to the business class. When I started to read myself in, one thing that confused me was the letters... I only flew once Swiss and than only Economy so I didn't really pay attention to it. Can somebody (try) to explain it to me? Do I need to ask for a certain "letter upgrade" at the check-in or can I just ask for a Business Class upgrade? I was booked on Economy (T).

I've also read a bit in the big thread here (Longhaul Cash Upgrade offer at the airport on Swiss) about the numbers... So I guess somewhere between 1100-1500$ should I expect to pay for the upgrade?
If asking at check in just request an upgrade to business class.

Price will depend on availability on the day.
heubergen likes this.
Old May 23, 18, 5:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
For upgrades you do not need to know the letters as it‘s usually already determined what letter upgrades get put inot (on LX usually C in business, but keep in mind that at airport upgrades you won‘t receive miles of the new booking class). Anyway to fresh me up and just so you know these are all the booking classes on swiss: (no guarantee for correctness, if something is wrong let me know)

F: Full Fare First Class
A: Discounted Fare First Class, RTW books into this class
O: First Class Award

J: Full Fare unrestricted Business Class
C: Full Fare nearly unrestricted Business Class (also used for opups and bought upgrades at the airport to my knowledge)
D: Business Fare
Z: Discounted Business Fare, RTW books into this class (LH books RTW into D!)
P: Heavily Discounted Business Fare
I: Business Class Award
R: Non-Rev Business, not sure if still in use

Y: Full Fare unrestricted Economy Class
B: Almost Full Fare minimal restricted Economy Class

M: Almost Full Economy Fare with few restrictions
U: Higher Level Economy Fare with few restrictions
H: Economy Fare with moderate restrictions
G: Economy Fare, some restrictions, used for group travel?

Q: Discount Economy Fare with moderate restrictions, used for RTW trips
V: Discount Fare Economy, often with a lot of restrictions
W: Discount Fare Economy often with many restrictions
S: Ready-To-Fly Economy Fare

T: Heavy Discount Fare Economy Class with a lot of restrictions
L: Heavy Discount Economy Fare with lots of restrictions
K: Heavy Discount Economy Fare with lots of restrictions
E: Lowest Economy Fare with lots of restrictions

X: Economy Class Award
N: Non-Rev Economy, not sure if still in use
heubergen likes this.

Last edited by Nick Art; May 23, 18 at 6:00 am
Old May 23, 18, 6:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since LX is alingning itself to big brother LH and sibling OS

Code:
AN01APRLAXZRH/ALX,LH                                                            
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** ZRH ZURICH.CH                313 MO 01APR 0000  
 1   LX 041  F8 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 /LAX B ZRH    1920    1515+1E0/77W      10:55 
             Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9                                
 2   LH 457  F7 AL J9 C9 D9 Z9 G9 /LAX B FRA 1  1510    1120+1E0/346            
             EL NL Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K7
Not in use but reserved for PE:
R is now premium economy award
N is premium eco discount
E is premiun eco
G is premium Eco

I/X is used for non rev and awards.
Old May 23, 18, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post

Code:
AN01APRLAXZRH/ALX,LH
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** ZRH ZURICH.CH 313 MO 01APR 0000
1 LX 041 F8 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 /LAX B ZRH 1920 1515+1E0/77W 10:55
2 LH 457 F7 AL J9 C9 D9 Z9 G9 /LAX B FRA 1 1510 1120+1E0/346
E is premiun eco
G is premium Eco

Interesting, because last time I checked E and G are still listed on the m&m Meilenrechber as Economy on LX flights.

What are the booking classes used for non-rev flights now? A long time ago it was P, R, N, First, Business and Economy respectively. Since there is no non-rev flights on First anymore P has been reused as a Bus Fare Class, but what about Business and economy non rev tickets?

PS: How did you access that Amadeus page? is there some kind of API one can access?
Old May 23, 18, 6:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I/X are non rev business/eco.

I have access to Amadeus (Selling Platform Connect) via a friendly TA.

BCD Travel gives you acces to their GDS availability here: https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx
Old May 23, 18, 7:14 am

BCD Travel gives you acces to their GDS availability here: https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx
So the put award and non-rev (in the sense of standby tickets) together into one class each?

Lucky you. Gotta find myself a friendly travel agent as well :P

And thanks for that link, quite helpful as i seem to be able to check availability for each booking class.
Old May 23, 18, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

I only understand half of what you're talking about but that doesn't really matter Thanks for the URL. So at this page I can type in my flight and should see of there's any Business Class Seats available or not? I could run that the days before I go than?
Old May 24, 18, 1:00 am

I only understand half of what you're talking about but that doesn't really matter Thanks for the URL. So at this page I can type in my flight and should see of there's any Business Class Seats available or not? I could run that the days before I go than?
Yes. If I were you I'd bid for an upgrade using the bidding app. Bids are sometimes cheaper (starting from 650.-) than the price at the airport. (https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/book/swi...pgrade-bargain)

As mentioned the letters don't matter in your case for buying an upgrade at the airport. They do however matter if you want to upgrade with bidding or with miles. (In which case the lowest 6 letters can't be upgraded).
I do however not know if you buy or bid for an upgrade into which letter class (important so you know how many miles you'll earn) you will be upgraded. Is it always the same? (Can't be I as the flight does and should earn miles) Or is it due to availability? (In which case most upgrades would be put into C or J as those are often the last ones left, but I don't really see that happening), If somebody could clear this up I'd be thankful.
Old May 24, 18, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
They do however matter if you want to upgrade with bidding or with miles. (In which case the lowest 6 letters can't be upgraded).
Hmm, well I guess I'm out of luck with my T ticket... (Reservation was made from a 3-Party Company so I didn't had any control over it.
I'm surprised that I'm able to login with my information at the SWISS website where I can see my My booking details and change it etc... but I'm unable to see any buttons for bidding... Is there a limit (e.g. 2 weeks or 2 days before departure) or is it possible that it just doesn't show up in the first place because I'm in this low ticket class?
Old May 25, 18, 1:18 am

Code:
AN01APRLAXZRH/ALX,LH
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AN ** ZRH ZURICH.CH 313 MO 01APR 0000
1 LX 041 F8 A4 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 /LAX B ZRH 1920 1515+1E0/77W 10:55
2 LH 457 F7 AL J9 C9 D9 Z9 G9 /LAX B FRA 1 1510 1120+1E0/346
E is premiun eco
G is premium Eco

In Contrary to what you told me, I just found out that Swiss does actually have R and N as Classes for Non revenue Flights (only for employees). Chart has been updated.
Non-Rev First Class flights get booked into O! So co trary to common belief there still is a system in place for non-rev Flights thatís mostly for employees (but the system for pax would exist too, just unused)! Those letters however are only for Swiss internal use and not made available on selling platforms. (I got access to an internal system through a friend)
Old May 25, 18, 1:20 am

Hmm, well I guess I'm out of luck with my T ticket... (Reservation was made from a 3-Party Company so I didn't had any control over it.
I'm surprised that I'm able to login with my information at the SWISS website where I can see my My booking details and change it etc... but I'm unable to see any buttons for bidding... Is there a limit (e.g. 2 weeks or 2 days before departure) or is it possible that it just doesn't show up in the first place because I'm in this low ticket class?
Yes, if it isnít on the website under your booking and you have not received an email then zou are out of luck