Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear SWISS Lurker Constructive criticism of new First Lounge in A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: LX HON
Originally Posted by chris63

+ 1 given time I will always head to E lounge.
Of the 50+ short-haul arrivals and departures in ZRH this year alone, I probably managed to get to E half of the time, even with only 50min transfer or waiting time (thankfully there is an easy way to go back and forth between A and E by only proceeding through passport control; circumventing Asian pax arrival times, you can be in E lounges within 7-10mins). E is simply incomparable to anything A or D has to offer.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by moreaki
Of the 50+ short-haul arrivals and departures in ZRH this year alone, I probably managed to get to E half of the time, even with only 50min transfer or waiting time (thankfully there is an easy way to go back and forth between A and E by only proceeding through passport control; circumventing Asian pax arrival times, you can be in E lounges within 7-10mins). E is simply incomparable to anything A or D has to offer.
Yes & for HON they drive us there from A to E 👍
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:35 am

Not if your departure is from the A gates as to my understanding (which is what moreaki was talking about)

Taking the Heidi train was much faster than "drive" to E gates anyway, at least it was in the old system where you could directly head down from security compared to going to A lounge, having to possibly wait for others to join you in the car, etc.. New system with private security at FCL A might change things, but then the new automated immigration counters make transfer between A and E super smooth. And they still won't drive you from A to E when your departure is actually from A gates (or did you manage to persuade them into offering that kind of detour-ride?)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Not if your departure is from the A gates as to my understanding (which is what moreaki was talking about)

Taking the Heidi train was much faster than "drive" to E gates anyway, at least it was in the old system where you could directly head down from security compared to going to A lounge, having to possibly wait for others to join you in the car, etc.. New system with private security at FCL A might change things, but then the new automated immigration counters make transfer between A and E super smooth. And they still won't drive you from A to E when your departure is actually from A gates (or did you manage to persuade them into offering that kind of detour-ride?)

if your in F or HON they will drive you to E, they are aware it’s a much better facility

Sure you might have to wait at the bar area for a driver, have a glass of something whilst you wait, best kind of waiting I know & for me much better than that train.... last few times I asked them to wait for me for the transfer from A to E whilst i used facilities
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: LX HON

Yep, same for VIP/C.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
This morning, in the FCL A, two Indian ladies, on their way to Mumbai in First. They asked one of the waitresses whether this was a temporary lounge, because it looked so small, makeshift and had no buffet. They also inquired about what had happened to the old space, and were disappointed to hear that the old space was going to be turned into a Business Class lounge. They were not complaining, it was an extremely polite conversation and the FCL waitress was giving them very good and detailed information. No stress whatsoever. But not happy customers either.

PS: I know someone will ask "why don't they go to E". 1) They were normal travelers, not FT lounge junkies, and obviously familiar with the previous FCL A which they seem to have liked, so they saw no necessity to go over just yet 2) The waitress told them about the E lounge, and indeed the ladies said that they'd go over soon. And if one has to trek to E just to get the good lounge experience, that alone already speaks volumes about the disappointment that is FCL A.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
And if one has to trek to E just to get the good lounge experience, that alone already speaks volumes about the disappointment that is FCL A.
Well, the lounge staff seem to know. When checking in at the FCL A welcome desks during my last visit, the agent suggested to go to E “as there is a nice facility there” right away and offered to find a driver to take us there immediately.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Well, the lounge staff seem to know. When checking in at the FCL A welcome desks during my last visit, the agent suggested to go to E “as there is a nice facility there” right away and offered to find a driver to take us there immediately.
Had exactly the same happen last week.

Once you get to E lounge the Staff seem so much happier 😊
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:38 am

I was in the A Terminal Swiss First Class lounge a few weeks ago on Friday afternoon. Based on above reports, I was expecting it to be very busy and noisy on Friday afternoon. However it was not. To the opposite, I found maybe around 10-12 pax in the lounge and a half dozen that arrived after me went immediately to the E Lounge. I think by then the lounge staff was trained to move E departing passengers to the E and leave A for A/B departures, I had the whole space immediately to the right of the entrance, behind newspapers wall, with two sofas empty for myself. I stayed for about half an hour.

It is a great lounge and great treat to be able to go straight to the lounge from the public area.

I agree that original posts that private security is great. I also noticed that new showers are more specious and much better air conditioned. It was always too hot in the old lounge shower rooms.

Unfortunately, I also found the whole space a bit dark, without any uplifting 'first classy' view of apron and/or runway. Instead my view was of some shops and passengers queuing for general security below. The bar is too large in my opinion as well, making overall feeling of this small as space, and to be honest, even a bit claustrophobic and intimidating. But I guess that is a millennial design to impress and make a 'wow' statement, which it definitely does!

As I was walking through the long corridor to the transfer desk and elevators I was also wondering why so much space along the windows has been used for that purpose and the expense of that Swiss incurred on the design. Then I realized there was another desk with another Swiss employee. At the back of my mind, I was thinking why Swiss moved the space from the prior First Class lounge in the first place. Why breaking something that worked so well. It needed to be refurbished with new furniture and layout, but the old space was perfect for First Class lounge.

One other comment: I found that there are too many check-in and human interaction points. As I was departing to Newark from E gate, I first stopped at the welcome outside podium, then at the inside podium right after security, then at the limo transfer desk, the passport check, and then again at the E lounge welcome podiums again as if I was new comer to the lounge and not checked in at all. So that is five times in total of showing boarding passes and passport. Of'course passport and initial check-in is totally unavoidable - no complain here! But I am wondering aloud if one is being transferred from A lounge to E lounge why need to stop and get checked in at the E entrance again. Why the driver can not direct his/her passenger straight to the lounge and fill in the gaps behind the scenes. Why there are two welcome stages/podiums in a lounge before and after security. The whole process and passenger interactions are now broken into three or four hands or interactions and not seamless. It for sure increases traffic, wastes time and cost for Swiss and also increases risk that something can go wrong between those fragmented interactions.

I forgot to add at the end. I am very happy with the new lounge. I am sure over short period of time it will evolve in a great ground service. Zurich airport is so nice and Swiss such a great airline!
San Gottardo likes this.

Last edited by LukasNied; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Was at the lounge twice last Friday and again today, in the afternoon. Crowding not a big problem in one of the three cases, but today the music was back Has the test phase resulted in people complaining that there was no music (which makes me fear that they‘ll want it in the E lounge as well, despite that space being a great success without the background noise). That background music is not only disturbing it‘s also the type of music that just doesn‘t fit into a FCL. What‘s next, plastic chairs and Coca Cola umbrellas?

No more noise from the espresso machine ^ Not sure whether that was because nobody drank coffee during my visits, or whether they have found a solution.

Then, the bar: I was sitting at the bar today and realised what it was that made the bar unduly claustrophobic and why it took so much space and light away: it‘s the tower in the middle with the bottles. Take that out and suddenly the entire rooms feels lighter and roomier. Still an „inside space“, but at least this is an easy fix.

Completely agree with the previous poster about too many hand-offs.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I was one of three guests in the FCL A lounge this morning. As I had some work to finish, I used one of the working cubicles so that I could get some quiet time to concentrate. What an utter failure...
  • One of the other guests was having loud conversations with the bar staff. I don't have a problem with people having conversations in the lounge, that's perfectly normal, but why do I have to hear every word of their conversation in the working cubicle?
  • There was lots of noise from the kitchen and the bar. Cutlery, china, glasses, the espresso machine... I do understand that a lounge with catering makes certain noises, but why do I have to have those noises in an area that is supposed to be quiet?
  • Chatter of the two ladies at the welcome desks. Again, it's normal for staff to have conversations, but why do I have to hear that in the working cubicle which is supposed to be isolated?
  • And of course, the music again... Why? Why can they do without music in the Lounge in E but not in A? Everybody says that E is the better lounge, so why not make A more like E? Is there really somebody who wants that music? Shouldn't they go to a fun fair instead of a lounge that is supposed to be a place for calm and relaxation away from the hum-drum of the airport?
@Franziska, I understand that you have received some answers on some of the questions that were brought up earlier. But some of them are not good enough I find. The working cubicles are just a mis-construction. Leaving aesthetics to the side (making them so high just makes the entire room feel smaller and more cramped) there is simply a functional failure: they cannot be used as working cubicles! All the noise comes in, and there is a lot of that in the lounge. It's impossible to have a confidential phone conversation in the cubicle because people outside hear every word. There should at least be some work done on the cubicles to close them off - no more open roof like now - so that they are quiet and isolated from the noise outside.

I believe there are a number of people like me who use the lounge during their business trips and are looking for some quiet place to work. There may be others who think the lounge should be an Ibiza Beach Club (music, a bar with lots of action...) but I believe LX should find a solution to accomodate both types of passengers.

Please. Thank you.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Jun 26, 2018 at 12:45 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I spent 30 min in the lounge last week (early afternoon) and agree with a lot of the feedback from San Gottardo. So much unnecessary noise.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: LXFF
Went twice last week, both times in the morning and the lounge was pretty quiet. Music wasn’t loud at all. Probably wouldn’t have noticed it if I wasn’t expecting it from reading these posts. The look is obviously very nice, food very good, great service, etc. I do think that this is now ment more as a transition lounge. Arriving from a long haul, I’m surprised I wasn’t offered a shower. This would always be the case in the old lounge. There are also no more day rooms.

There is a meeting room that can be used for work but you obviously have to share and it feels awkward when some is having a « meeting » next to you or on the phone. I have to agree that this is the sticking point with both the A and E lounge.

The view from the old lounge was very nice so it’s a pity that there is no more view.

Spent lots more time at the E lounge on 3 occasions last week and it’s just hands down better in every way. The terrasse is so nice.

The new security at lounge A is a huge improvement that’s for sure. Makes the entire experience more « first class ».

Design wise, the access from terminal a air side just needs some paneling or something. Looks like you are going into a Russian speakeasy!
bawm likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ced_lx
Design wise, the access from terminal a air side just needs some paneling or something. Looks like you are going into a Russian speakeasy!
+1
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ced_lx
Where is the entrance to the lounge from airside? I need to use it today when connecting for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.