Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Swiss ground services experience for TK*G

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Poor Swiss ground services experience for TK*G

I flew SWISS out of Budapest last week with my wife. We are both TK*G (ElitePlus and Elite respectively) and were in Economy from BUD-ZRH but onward in Business Class from ZRH two days later on the same ticket. This was my first time flying with SWISS in probably near 10 years and was very disappointed with the ground experience.

For starters, there were only 2 check-in counters open in Budapest that were shared between all Star Alliance intra-Schengen carriers (LH/LX/LO and others) - one for FIRST CLASS and HON only and the other counter for Business Class, *G, Economy, Bag drop, etc.. Needless to say the first counter was empty the whole time while everyone was queued up for the second counter - and the agent at the First Class counter did not serve anyone from the long line waiting for the Business/*G/Economy counter.

FastTrack security access is also provided only to HON/SEN passengers and not to *G. Fortunately the lines in regular security were not long.

Lounge access was where I was really annoyed. *G passengers flying on SWISS are entitled to use the Platinum Lounge in Terminal 2B (https://www.swiss.com/UK/EN/fly/airp...worldwide.html). However, you cannot access Terminal 2B if flying on SWISS as 2B is for non-Schengen flights. Therefore, even though SWISS is technically offering lounge access at Budapest to partner *G passengers, in practice the lounge is not actually accessible. I had to use my Priority Pass to access the SkyCourt Lounge in 2A while waiting for the flight.

Finally, priority boarding was only offered to Business Class and HON/SEN passengers and not to partner *G.

I got the general impression that SWISS simply considers partner airline *G passengers as a nuisance to be tolerated rather than as valued frequent flyer customers. Is this the usual kind of tricks that SWISS tries to play on partner *G passengers at various stations or is Budapest an exception? I thought that SWISS marketed itself as a premium carrier within Star Alliance, but the general feeling I got was of a nickel-and-dime low cost carrier where you had to pay extra for any additional services. Only the HON/SEN passengers seem to be considered valuable and worthwhile of services that all *G are supposed to receive.

Note : My onward flight from Zurich in Business Class was fine, other than the ridiculous need to shuffle back and forth by train to Concourse E to access the lounge while waiting for our intra-Schengen flight.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: LXFF
Swiss is notorious with regards to other airline status passengers. I know lots of people complain about this but I don't mind becuase the last time I flew economy on swiss was in 2001 . In honnesty, asside from the SEN/F lounge in Zurich, your time is better spent at the various bars and restaurants in the Airport.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:46 pm

- *G usually can use First Class checkin
- in BUD there are two Platinum Lounges, one inside and one outside Schengen. I have used the Schengen lounge on my way to ZRH
- I can't remember anything about fast track in BUD, either not needed or present for *G
- *G has always priority boarding with Swiss (maybe this wasn't mentioned by the gate agent or were you refused priority boarding?)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I flew SWISS out of Budapest last week with my wife. We are both TK*G (ElitePlus and Elite respectively) and were in Economy from BUD-ZRH but onward in Business Class from ZRH two days later on the same ticket. This was my first time flying with SWISS in probably near 10 years and was very disappointed with the ground experience.

For starters, there were only 2 check-in counters open in Budapest that were shared between all Star Alliance intra-Schengen carriers (LH/LX/LO and others) - one for FIRST CLASS and HON only and the other counter for Business Class, *G, Economy, Bag drop, etc.. Needless to say the first counter was empty the whole time while everyone was queued up for the second counter - and the agent at the First Class counter did not serve anyone from the long line waiting for the Business/*G/Economy counter.

FastTrack security access is also provided only to HON/SEN passengers and not to *G. Fortunately the lines in regular security were not long.

Lounge access was where I was really annoyed. *G passengers flying on SWISS are entitled to use the Platinum Lounge in Terminal 2B (https://www.swiss.com/UK/EN/fly/airp...worldwide.html). However, you cannot access Terminal 2B if flying on SWISS as 2B is for non-Schengen flights. Therefore, even though SWISS is technically offering lounge access at Budapest to partner *G passengers, in practice the lounge is not actually accessible. I had to use my Priority Pass to access the SkyCourt Lounge in 2A while waiting for the flight.

Finally, priority boarding was only offered to Business Class and HON/SEN passengers and not to partner *G.

I got the general impression that SWISS simply considers partner airline *G passengers as a nuisance to be tolerated rather than as valued frequent flyer customers. Is this the usual kind of tricks that SWISS tries to play on partner *G passengers at various stations or is Budapest an exception? I thought that SWISS marketed itself as a premium carrier within Star Alliance, but the general feeling I got was of a nickel-and-dime low cost carrier where you had to pay extra for any additional services. Only the HON/SEN passengers seem to be considered valuable and worthwhile of services that all *G are supposed to receive.

Note : My onward flight from Zurich in Business Class was fine, other than the ridiculous need to shuffle back and forth by train to Concourse E to access the lounge while waiting for our intra-Schengen flight.
Hello,

sorry to to hear from you experience.

I am surprised that now ZRH flights depart from Terminal 2B. I fly often to/from Budapest with LX, already twice this year, and for many years flights have departed from 2A, gate A8 or similar that is quite close to the Platinum Lounge.
Also check in and boarding as Sen has always been fast and efficient, and I understood, at least from the announcements while boarding, that the same conditions applied to *G.
Hope this are not new rules for Star Alliance.

Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
ZRH doesn't depart from 2B, but the website says the lounge is in 2B. Which isn't right, apparently.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
ZRH doesn't depart from 2B, but the website says the lounge is in 2B. Which isn't right, apparently.
The Swiss "lounge information" area on their website is, in short, full of errors, so I'd not give much on any information actually found there.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The Swiss "lounge information" area on their website is, in short, full of errors, so I'd not give much on any information actually found there.
How then is a passenger supposed to know which lounge is available to go to? It is not like they are issuing lounge invitation cards at check-in.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aflo
- *G usually can use First Class checkin
Officially the regulation is that *G can use counters which have the "STAR ALLIANCE GOLD" logo on them. The check-in desk at Budapest only had the Red "FIRST CLASS" sign with the "HON CIRCLE" mention below it. The second counter rotated between the "BUSINESS CLASS" sign that had the "STAR ALLIANCE GOLD" logo and the other screens.

In contrast, the FIRST CLASS check-in desks at Zurich Airport did have the "STAR ALLIANCE GOLD" logo at the bottom.

- in BUD there are two Platinum Lounges, one inside and one outside Schengen. I have used the Schengen lounge on my way to ZRH
Interesting. That is not what the website section about lounges states - it only mentions the lounge in 2B which the airport staff that I asked said was not accessible to intra-Schengen passengers.

- I can't remember anything about fast track in BUD, either not needed or present for *G
It is provided for HON/SEN passengers only (and not for partner *G) according to the person manning the gate at the Fast Track lane. Since I was TK*G they advised me to go to the TK ticket desk and request them instead for a voucher, but since that is in the other terminal and the regular line was not long we chose not to do so. Alternatively we could pay 5 EUR per person.

- *G has always priority boarding with Swiss (maybe this wasn't mentioned by the gate agent or were you refused priority boarding?)
This flight was an equipment change to an E190 operated by Helvetic Airways. Perhaps that is why they did not offer Priority Boarding for *G? The announcement was for Business Class, HON Circle and Senator passengers only.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by B747-437B

This flight was an equipment change to an E190 operated by Helvetic Airways. Perhaps that is why they did not offer Priority Boarding for *G? The announcement was for Business Class, HON Circle and Senator passengers only.
Many of the LX flights to/from BUD are operated by Helvetic Airways but the *G benefits are the same as if flying with a LX aircraft.

Regarding the lounge, often at check in at BUD, and in many airports, they ask me if I know where the lounge is. If it is a new airport for me, if they do not ask it, I do it.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Is this the usual kind of tricks that SWISS tries to play on partner *G passengers at various stations or is Budapest an exception?
The latter.

OP, I am sorry for your experience, but this thread is a bit of a tempest in a teapot.

You got poor ground service by lazy and minimalistic contracted ground staff in BUD. If you must, complain to LX about that.

But there is abosolutely no "systematic" discrimination by LX against *G, TK or otherwise. I have been flying them as a TK*G for the past 5 years, and have consistently received all advertised benefits, from priority check-in to security, lounge, boarding... I even used the extra bag allowance just last week.

Occasionally, I even get acknowledged by the MdC on long-haul flights (in J, that is).
B747-437B and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
You got poor ground service by lazy and minimalistic contracted ground staff in BUD. If you must, complain to LX about that.
Indeed, I think this sums it up best. However, the incorrect/outdated info on the LX website is also annoying as it misdirected me to the wrong lounge. That said, I will be better informed if I should ever fly LX out of Budapest again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.