No more free food & drinks Ex-GVA starting spring 2018 & Ex-ZRH starting spring 2021

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

No more free food & drinks Ex-GVA starting spring 2018 & Ex-ZRH starting spring 2021

Well, guess LX thinks the disaster that BA run into after changing their European offers almost overnight should be repeated..

20min

Guess some people who booked flights up to a year ahead won't be very happy when they're suddenly charged for their Quöllfrisch and a bite to eat contrary to what they've been shown at booking.

I somehow doubt LX's "great" IT system will make this work flawless, especially since they seem to want to introduce several different levels of "free" stuff depending on what you exactly booked..

Disaster waiting to happen, in my eyes..

Probably LX forgot already that they failed hard when they tried the same in 2003..

Oh, and according to the article, they might roll out it LH-group wide if "successfull".. (whatever that means..)

So expect no more free stuff on LH mainline to come soon, too!
Roger, Concerto, hugolover and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Well, guess LX thinks the disaster that BA run into after changing their European offers almost overnight should be repeated...
But LX did this much more strategically than BA did - they crippled the lounges first, did away with anything edible most of the time, and offer no cans. Ex LHR, I will fill up with goodies in the South Lounges and don't have to care about the BoB ....
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Free food and drinks is a key differentiator from LCCs, and definitely something that makes me choose an airline over another even when the price is a bit higher. Should this be adopted LH-group wide, I'm very likely to book more flights with LCCs because there aren't many good reasons left to pay more.

It's not about the sheer value of the drink or little sandwich provided. It just makes the whole short-haul experience much more pleasant.

I already hate SN buy-on-board where the offering is small, expensive and mostly disappointing. And there's something infuriating about having to pay 3 € for water.

I much prefer the Austrian approach, where you can pay extra to get a very good Do&Co meal but still get free food and drinks.

I hope this "experiment" won't go further than GVA but I'm not optimistic...
Roger, MSPeconomist, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
This will be rolled out across LH Group short-haul before you know it.

It is a myth that passengers are willing to pay more to fly a legacy carrier with some minimalist "free" catering. And since passengers vote with their wallets and keep buying the cheapest price, irrespective of carrier and on-board product, the legacy airlines such as LH Group react by forcing their cost base down.

Here in North America, all legacy airlines have long done away with free food, notwithstanding the much longer average stage lengths, and customers have just taken it. The same will happen in Europe.

Sad. But collectively, we buyers get what we deserve.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
How are they going to differentiate between their different type of Y passengers? Or are they going to do like SN and dump all the Eco-light (or whatever it's called) at the back of the plane?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
How are they going to differentiate between their different type of Y passengers?
Presumably the same way AC does. If you buy a higher branded fare, you get a little icon on your boarding pass (and the crew's manifest) that entitles you to a free item from the buy on board cart.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Honesty, very often I pay around CHF 1000 for European shorthaul flights ( e.g. BRU) in economy and I would be strongly disappointed if they stop to even deliver free water!! Certain destinations are definitely not cheap and for a thousand bucks for a 1h flight you should definitely be served something decent.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Certain destinations are definitely not cheap and for a thousand bucks for a 1h flight you should definitely be served something decent.
I don't disagree, but let's think commercially here: If your CHF1000 flight to BRU no longer comes with any free catering, what are you going to do?

Correct, you will keep buying the ticket because there is no viable alternative - which is why the price is so high in the first place (compare BRU to AMS...).

LX wins.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by airoli

It is a myth that passengers are willing to pay more to fly a legacy carrier with some minimalist "free" catering. And since passengers vote with their wallets and keep buying the cheapest price, irrespective of carrier and on-board product, the legacy airlines such as LH Group react by forcing their cost base down.
I agree, this is why the EU should mandate 18" width and 32" pitch over their skies. It's the number #1 safety and health concern on mid and longhauls, and market pressure cannot guarantee it.
Here in North America, all legacy airlines have long done away with free food, notwithstanding the much longer average stage lengths, and customers have just taken it. The same will happen in Europe.
It's not a big thing after all. But I wonder why I still get hot food on my short rides with SQ, why I get the Magnum, the Haagen-Daazs on JL, and even the Movenpick on BR.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: LX SEN
While we cannot deny that ancillary revenue has become a significant and necessary portion of airlines' revenue, I do not believe that it makes any sense for airliners to sell their drinks.

Firstly, I doubt that the revenue makes it worth it, or at least an interesting business for an airliner, as I never experienced a high demand for F&B on LCCs. But I confess that I do not have any solid data in this respect.

Secondly, the crew is already present and paid for because of regulations imposing a number of FA per aircraft. To my view, the FA's time is better used to serve (free) drinks to passengers as a marketing tool than to serve only a few passengers against revenue.

This being said, the "ŕ la carte" trial of LX worked and is now being expanded to the LH group, and I may be wrong in my assumption that revenue will not be material.
Roger likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

Correct, you will keep buying the ticket because there is no viable alternative - which is why the price is so high in the first place (compare BRU to AMS...).

LX wins.
I think you.migjt be wrong on this route, for the 1000 CHF one way. LX looses. www.jetclass.com wins :-)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Honesty, very often I pay around CHF 1000 for European shorthaul flights ( e.g. BRU) in economy and I would be strongly disappointed if they stop to even deliver free water!! Certain destinations are definitely not cheap and for a thousand bucks for a 1h flight you should definitely be served something decent.
Fully agree. But what do you expect from LX management ...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

Sad. But collectively, we buyers get what we deserve.
However, I thought the free food was making a sort of comeback on North American carriers.

Otherwise, this is disastrous. It goes down the road of Brussels Airlines and bmi, the former of which is a really crap carrier, to be totally avoided. SWISS, along with myAustrian, are the only carriers that offer(ed) a quality experience in the economy cabin. And what will happen if you are booking a LIGHT fare and opt for an upgrade to business during the booking process? No catering? Hopefully they will get a bunch of serious crap about this move, like they did back in the mid 2000s.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Well, guess LX thinks the disaster that BA run into after changing their European offers almost overnight should be repeated..
I am sure they will have watched BA (and its continued profitability) and that experience will have informed Swiss's approach. Despite what people say on here, the majority of passengers are not swayed by infllght catering. People shop on price.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or

Exactly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.