Automated Check In Question

Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Automated Check In Question

I have an itinerary business class SYD-LAX (United) LAX - ZRH--BUD (Swiss) BUD - ZRH-HKG (Swiss) HKG-SYD (Cathay Pacific)

In my profile (Swiss) it shows Automated check in for all segments except SYD-LAX

What I do not understand is that I normally check in over the counter,I do not want boarding passes emailed to me and I cannot edit the automated check in option to turn it off.

Will I be able to check in at LAX for the - LAX - ZRH--BUD segment and receive my boarding passes as I usually do?

Same as on the return leg from BUD-ZRH-HKG-SYD can I not check in at BUD & receive the boarding passes over the counter.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can alsways checkin at the counter. The automated checkin is primarily meant for regional flights in Europe, not for longhaul.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Oliver2002
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: LH, BA
What's the reason for this automated check-in we now see at LX and LH. Why is it so important for them to have everybody checked-in. Assuming some people decide last-minute not to fly on nonrefundable tickets, they wouldn't check-in.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by flyasia
What's the reason for this automated check-in we now see at LX and LH. Why is it so important for them to have everybody checked-in. Assuming some people decide last-minute not to fly on nonrefundable tickets, they wouldn't check-in.
I don't understand the logic behind automated check-in either. Got PLENTY of op-ups since they introduced it. Maybe just good luck, maybe indeed the staff will end up having given out op-up's and still having empty seats in the end..

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can alsways checkin at the counter. The automated checkin is primarily meant for regional flights in Europe, not for longhaul.
I've had the automated checkin working on mid/long-haul flights too..
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:15 am

For me it seems the that one of the major points of the automated check-in is to make people pay for seat reservations (if not included in the booking). My experience is that even if I manually do the check-in within the first minute a Swiss flight opens for check in - the major part of the seat is assigned already, meaning you have much fewer (if any) options to change your seat to one you prefer, meaning I am more tempted to book a seat reservation for a Swiss flight with automatic check-in than for a Lufthansa/Austrian flight without, because I know I can get a good seat there without a reservation.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Arctifox
For me it seems the that one of the major points of the automated check-in is to make people pay for seat reservations (if not included in the booking). My experience is that even if I manually do the check-in within the first minute a Swiss flight opens for check in - the major part of the seat is assigned already, meaning you have much fewer (if any) options to change your seat to one you prefer, meaning I am more tempted to book a seat reservation for a Swiss flight with automatic check-in than for a Lufthansa/Austrian flight without, because I know I can get a good seat there without a reservation.
Good point. Now if the LX system wouldn't actually throw out your ASR in about 95% of all cases (Narrowbody flights), it would even make sense for LX to push for that

Well, I don't complain about it, since for the time being, as SEN, the system is mostly beneficial to me. More op-up's are never something I'd mind (and apparently, not much people do their "bidding" which is their weapon of choice against overbookings..)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
I wonder how they do it for overbooked flights.

Do all reservations qualify for automated check-in, or are some reservations excluded from it? - Those would then likely be at a higher risk of denied boarding (assuming the "volunteers game" is not perfect).
All right. so that might create an incentive to use a booking channel which qualifies for automated checkin.

If all reservations qualify for automated check-in, and if this works 100%, then how and especially when do they figure out the no shows?
It could only be in the last minute before they close the gate door that they could find out who's not taking the flight and then release that seat to someone else.
Doesn't appear to add much value to me, rather the contrary.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Considering they won't get your email address (or actually anything but your name..) when you book via a (O)TA, I think those channels can't really be properly checked in automatically.

Anyway, LH pushed the "electronic" Rimowa's quite hard, just to retire that kind of service pretty fast. Guess the airlines really like to play with new technologies and attempts..

Nothing beats a proper paper boarding pass, especially if you need some retro credits
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Anyway, LH pushed the "electronic" Rimowa's quite hard, just to retire that kind of service pretty fast.
I don‘t think they retired the Rimowa Electronic Tag. I am using it every week.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Arctifox
Your seat is assigned using theoretical seating anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47N5...ature=youtu.be
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Your seat is assigned using theoretical seating anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47N5...ature=youtu.be
That's a very interesting video, thanks for that.
It actually also explains my point when it talks about Ms Smith at minute 1:42. Even though she automatically gets assigned a seat 27C, she can still change it to 29A, which is a a seat pre-assigned via theoretical seating to another passenger. With the Swiss automatic check-in all the seats get actually assigned, meaning 29A would not be available anymore, meaning that Ms Smith can only change her seat to one that has not been automatically assigned due to the check-in.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is OP flying SYD-BUD with connections at LAX & ZRH or is he flying SYD-LAX and then stopping over at LAX and/or ZRH? If the former, UA should hand him BP's for both LAX-ZRH and ZRH-BUD at SYD and should check any bag he may have through to BUD (although he will nonetheless have to reclaim the bag at LAX and then drop it post-Customs).

If OP does receive e-BP's and doesn't want them, he may disregard them. Any agent of his relevant onward carrier can print paper copies for him.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Is OP flying SYD-BUD with connections at LAX & ZRH or is he flying SYD-LAX and then stopping over at LAX and/or ZRH? If the former, UA should hand him BP's for both LAX-ZRH and ZRH-BUD at SYD and should check any bag he may have through to BUD (although he will nonetheless have to reclaim the bag at LAX and then drop it post-Customs).

If OP does receive e-BP's and doesn't want them, he may disregard them. Any agent of his relevant onward carrier can print paper copies for him.
Sorry if I confused you Often 1 SYD-LAX is one leg the rest of the itinerary is LAX-BUD ( two weeks later) then BUD-SYD (two weeks later)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.