Search

LAX - ZRH - NBO checked luggage overnight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:59 pm
DEN
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
LAX - ZRH - NBO checked luggage overnight

I have this route planned in January on Swiss. There is about an 18.5 hour connection time (arrive 1533 on a Tue and depart 0955 the following morning). This was the shortest connection time for this route on Swiss.

Will my bags be checked through or will I have to collect them in ZRH and recheck in the morning?

Thanks

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Nov 6, 2017 at 3:16 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Your bags will be checked trough. In ZRH, you can check-in the baggage of LX flights starting 24h before departure.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:30 pm
DEN
Original Poster

That's great news, thanks!

DEN
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: FB Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DEN
I have this route planned in January on Swiss. These is about a 18.5 hour connection time ( arrive 1533 on a tue and depart 0955 the following morning). This was the shortest connection time for this route on Swiss.

Will my bags be checked through or will I have to collect them in ZRH and recheck inthe morning?

Thanks

DEN
I'd say they will probably ask you if you want it to be check all the way to NBO or only to ZRH. But if they don't ask you and don't mention where your luggage will be checked to, make sure you confirm it with the check-in agent.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Slightly off-topic -

But is it the same the other way around ? i.e. a long layover on the way to the US ?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Direction makes no difference.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
Not quite as bad on the return, but not great either.
I’ll be heading out on these flights in December, and returning in January, and only have a 6hr layover on the way back. Unfortunately, that time doesn’t include the 1.5hrs stop in Dar es Salaam enroute to ZRH. That’s right, they sell it as a direct (but not non-stop).

Originally Posted by dand99
Slightly off-topic -

But is it the same the other way around ? i.e. a long layover on the way to the US ?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:57 pm

Question on this trip as I am doing this in Feb. Flying business, does Swiss provide hotel like Turkish for long layovers?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:27 am
DEN
Original Poster

Update

Originally Posted by DEN
I have this route planned in January on Swiss. There is about an 18.5 hour connection time (arrive 1533 on a Tue and depart 0955 the following morning). This was the shortest connection time for this route on Swiss.

Will my bags be checked through or will I have to collect them in ZRH and recheck in the morning?

Thanks

DEN
A last minute change had me checking in on a separate UA ticket from DEN to LAX then on to ZRH and NBO. Because the first leg was now on UA, they would not check my luggage all the way though because of the long layover in ZRH. They wanted me to collect and recheck my luggage at LAX (bad idea), but I insisted they check it through to ZRH, which they finally agreed to.

The luggage assistance desk at ZRH baggage claim was more than helpful to re-tag my luggage for NBO. The Swiss PNR already had it checked to NBO, it was only the United PNR that had it check to ZRH.

Anyway, all worked out well and my baggage arrived at NBO with me.

Thanks again

DEN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.