Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access during stopover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Lounge access during stopover

I have a long (overnight) stopover TLV-ZRH-LAX, arriving in the evening setting off the following day.

Is there any hope I'll be able to access the ZRH lounge after landing (ie will not have a same day BP) ?

(Y class, UA Plat)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
According to the rules (same-day boarding pass), the answer is clearly no.

This doesn't stop you from trying, but
a) don't get your hopes up
b) don't throw a tantrum if you are refused
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: LX SEN
While you may have access to LH Welcome Lounges according to LH's web published access policy (MileagePlus Global Services card and inbound UA flight), Swiss only allows access in substance to LH + LX C class and M&M status holders in its arrival lounge (https://www.swiss.com/CH/EN/fly/airp...l#t-page=pane4)

I have however read somewhere on this forum that there was a certain flexibility, but cannot remember whether it was for Stargold status holders or UA C passengers on LX metal.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Nic33
While you may have access to LH Welcome Lounges according to LH's web published access policy (MileagePlus Global Services card and inbound UA flight), Swiss only allows access in substance to LH + LX C class and M&M status holders in its arrival lounge (https://www.swiss.com/CH/EN/fly/airp...l#t-page=pane4)

I have however read somewhere on this forum that there was a certain flexibility, but cannot remember whether it was for Stargold status holders or UA C passengers on LX metal.
The LX arrivals lounge closes at 1pm, the OP will arrive in the evening...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: LX SEN
yes correct indeed, so OP can forget about the arrival lounge... (and about the other lounges too, probably)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by dand99
I have a long (overnight) stopover TLV-ZRH-LAX, arriving in the evening setting off the following day.
(Y class, UA Plat)
Originally Posted by MichielR
The LX arrivals lounge closes at 1pm, the OP will arrive in the evening...
And no access for Y-cl *G: https://www.swiss.com/es/en/fly/airp...h#t-page=pane4
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:06 am
Original Poster

...and reporting back. Op-up on the short leg so came into Zurich on C class (but of course too late for the arrivals lounge).
Went up to the D lounge -she looked at both BCs - "No- sorry, I don't make the rules"

So then I threw a tantrum and lay on the floor kicking my legs until they let me in.

Originally Posted by airoli
According to the rules (same-day boarding pass), the answer is clearly no.

This doesn't stop you from trying, but
a) don't get your hopes up
b) don't throw a tantrum if you are refused
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Yes, I did make up the last part.

But it would have been nice had they shown some flexibility (emptyish lounge, C lass incoming TATL outgoing)
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear about this.

LX used to be more flexible, but the Germans seem to have increased their direct control over the former Swiss airline, so it's much more rules and less common sense nowadays.

Next time, let me know and I'll show you a good bar nearby
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Precisely, why go to a lounge, I would rather go out and explore the city and have dinner and a drink outside.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Precisely, why go to a lounge, I would rather go out and explore the city and have dinner and a drink outside.
Swiss prices?
Nah, honestly, if I'd arrive 9pm in ZRH, and have a 7am departure next day, all I want to do is hit the bed early. And possibly a beer or two before that. If I'd lounge access, it would be in a lounge. If not, at a hotel bar. And while there are some nice ones, Swiss prices are rather brutal, especially if you're not used to them. 6€ for a small beer is not something that someone from many other countries would be used to.

Alternatively, if you're transferring from a warm country to a warm country, you might simply be lacking the clothes to head out.

I absolutely recommend visiting Zürich itself. But on a short night transit, there are sometimes better options..
worldclubber likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by dand99
But it would have been nice had they shown some flexibility (emptyish lounge, C lass incoming TATL outgoing)
And where should the flexicility start and end? What if - even with such a flexibility - you still fall beside the rules and dont get what you want...? Then request even much more flexibility...? Better to have rules that also will be enforced, that makes it more reliable...

And just be fair, that you have been upgraded on the incoming flight with an Economy Class ticket... You better should be thankful for this upgrade!
behuman likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
LX used to be more flexible, but the Germans seem to have increased their direct control over the former Swiss airline, so it's much more rules and less common sense nowadays.
I'm not sure it is the parent company any more than forums like this one.

Some years ago, the LD showed some "flexibility" and nobody ever found out. Now, people brag about it on forums such as this and other travellers show these posts to LDs and demand access themselves in similar situations or complain to customer service that some people got access while they didn't. End of flexibility...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Swiss prices?
Nah, honestly, if I'd arrive 9pm in ZRH, and have a 7am departure next day, all I want to do is hit the bed early. And possibly a beer or two before that. If I'd lounge access, it would be in a lounge. If not, at a hotel bar. And while there are some nice ones, Swiss prices are rather brutal, especially if you're not used to them. 6€ for a small beer is not something that someone from many other countries would be used to.
I usually do not have overnight layovers in ZRH, but will have one in spring and will probably head to the lounge in E and the whisky bar before retiring to the hotel; at least partly to avaoid Zurich prices and partly because I like the lounge with the view, as well as the outdoor patio.

May I ask you a question, as you seem to be familiar with the area: I have been booked into the NH ZRH Airport Hotel. Is it conveniently located and reasonably nice?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
May I ask you a question, as you seem to be familiar with the area: I have been booked into the NH ZRH Airport Hotel. Is it conveniently located and reasonably nice?
Location is ok'ish for what you want, just a night stay (Glattbrugg center) - you can take a direct bus from the airport there, or take their shuttle bus from the hotel itself (of which I've no clue how it operates)
It's definitely "reasonably nice", especially for the (cheap) prices you can often book it (below 100 CHF per night) but don't expect a brand new room or anything luxurious. It's basic 4*.
worldclubber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.