Search

LX upgrade P to F - ways to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
LX upgrade P to F - ways to upgrade?

Fellow FT members,

I have a flight booked in late March 2018 on LX38 (ZRH-SFO) into booking class P. F is wide open (F8A7).

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to upgrade this flight is:
1. With M&M miles as a M&M Senator.
2. With an LH eVoucher.
3. Cash.

I presume UA miles don't work for upgrades into F just as with awards?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Fellow FT members,

I have a flight booked in late March 2018 on LX38 (ZRH-SFO) into booking class P. F is wide open (F8A7).

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to upgrade this flight is:
1. With M&M miles as a M&M Senator.
2. With an LH eVoucher.
3. Cash.

I presume UA miles don't work for upgrades into F just as with awards?
1. You don't have to be a Senator to upgrade from P to F.
2. You need two eVouchers.
3. Yes (I guess anything is possible with cash )

I think you can only upgrade C, D or J with UA miles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
1. No need to be SEN, but need to use M&M miles.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks both - that's very helpful.

Looks like I need to find a way to get my hands on some M&M miles or LH eVouchers. At least there is no Senator requirement, which would have made this impossible.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Thanks both - that's very helpful.

Looks like I need to find a way to get my hands on some M&M miles or LH eVouchers. At least there is no Senator requirement, which would have made this impossible.
If you are not SEN, and have never been, it is kind of hard to get M&M eVochers.

Upgrade shouldn't be a problem, though, if you can get your hands on enough miles.

Good luck getting an upgrade ZRH-SFO! Just upgraded a flight from P to A and had to be somewhat flexible with dates, as even F8A6/F8A5 did not go through (as SEN). Swiss hotline told me that booking class "O" was already closed and M&M then confirmed no availability.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
When I upgraded P > F with eVouchers I picked a flight which was F8A8.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I just saw the number of M&M miles to upgrade from P to F (70,000). That's crazy considering you need 85,000 for an outright award. No thanks!

I can get hold of some eVouchers as I know some SENs who sometimes have some leftover ones they cannot use (and before someone says that no one ever has leftover upgrade awards, it does happen: I have 2 UA GPUs and 4 AA SWUs which I cannot use this year).

There is one seat available in "O", so there is hope yet! It sounds like eVouchers are the best way forward.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

I think you can only upgrade C, D or J with UA miles.
no, not even that. LX is the most restrictive airline in *A when it comes to that. You can upgrade LH on D-class ... but certainly not LX!

best is to use cash upgrades from P fares IMO.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I have some e-vouchers due to expire in December, I am trying to book P and upgrade to F on LX as P fare is 1400 GBP while taxes and fees on award ticket is 600 GBP. D fare on LH is 3200 (which has good O availability)so I would rather fly LX than LH. My dates are fairly flexible.
I can see no LX award availability on M&M website, even on flights wide open F8A8, for weeks. I called the SEN line, the agent say I need to ticket the flight first, then they have to request seat from LX (which may or may not happen). The risk is that my P fare is non changeable and non refundable so I will be stuck with it if the evouchers don't clear, thus negating the whole reason for booking it in first place.
The agent says Swiss release O space only against request.
Is there any way to check O space on LX or is the agent correct?
TIA.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:21 am

Yes, I just saw the number of M&M miles to upgrade from P to F (70,000). That's crazy considering you need 85,000 for an outright award. No thanks!

I can get hold of some eVouchers as I know some SENs who sometimes have some leftover ones they cannot use (and before someone says that no one ever has leftover upgrade awards, it does happen: I have 2 UA GPUs and 4 AA SWUs which I cannot use this year).

There is one seat available in "O", so there is hope yet! It sounds like eVouchers are the best way forward.
As you said, I would alwayys use eVouchers for upgrades and miles for awards.

BTW, to my mind, LX is not the most restrictive for M&M-customers, as they allow upgrades into the F-cabin from P and Z, which LH does not. Hope LH will do that again soon, too; until then, LX takes the cake.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LonLH
I have some e-vouchers due to expire in December, I am trying to book P and upgrade to F on LX as P fare is 1400 GBP while taxes and fees on award ticket is 600 GBP. D fare on LH is 3200 (which has good O availability)so I would rather fly LX than LH. My dates are fairly flexible.
I can see no LX award availability on M&M website, even on flights wide open F8A8, for weeks. I called the SEN line, the agent say I need to ticket the flight first, then they have to request seat from LX (which may or may not happen). The risk is that my P fare is non changeable and non refundable so I will be stuck with it if the evouchers don't clear, thus negating the whole reason for booking it in first place.
TIA.
LX awards cannot be seen onlien and the booking process of upgrades is a bit of a pain in the neck. Although there is never a guarantee, a few strategies have proven successful:

1a) Call Swiss and ask for availability of "O" just before you book the flight.

or

1b) Call M&M and ask for probable availability of an upgrade just before you book.

Then:

2) Immediately call M&M and ask them to request the upgrade from LX (takes a few seconds). Most of the time it will go through right away.

If the feces hit the proverbial fan and the upgrade disappears between the first phone call and the second, make use of the 24 hour grace period and cancel the flight without penalty (even non-refundable fares).

Good luck!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
TIA.
Call the LX SEN line, they can tell you which days an upgrade would currently clear, book online & call back directly, if something goes wrong ask the agent to cancel under the 24 hour rule or change the date & clear the upgrade.
cbourl likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by chris63
Call the LX SEN line, they can tell you which days an upgrade would currently clear, book online & call back directly, if something goes wrong ask the agent to cancel under the 24 hour rule or change the date & clear the upgrade.
I guess that is the SEN contact number in Switzerland, yes?
cbourl likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:53 am

I guess that is the SEN contact number in Switzerland, yes?
You get an estimation from the LH SEN line, the LH SEN line or M&M, does not really matter.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by worldclubber
LX awards cannot be seen onlien and the booking process of upgrades is a bit of a pain in the neck. Although there is never a guarantee, a few strategies have proven successful:

1a) Call Swiss and ask for availability of "O" just before you book the flight.

or

1b) Call M&M and ask for probable availability of an upgrade just before you book.

Then:

2) Immediately call M&M and ask them to request the upgrade from LX (takes a few seconds). Most of the time it will go through right away.

If the feces hit the proverbial fan and the upgrade disappears between the first phone call and the second, make use of the 24 hour grace period and cancel the flight without penalty (even non-refundable fares).

Good luck!
Make sure you call the LX Senator line not LH Senator line LH Sen line sis not LX Ive always done my upgrades through LX Zuerich Sen Line!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.