LX upgrade P to F - ways to upgrade?

Old Dec 2, 17, 4:43 pm

Programs: United GS, SPG & Marriott Platinum
I thought "A" fare on LX is discounted First?
I've been buying BKK-ZRH-TXL return for $4,XXX in First many times (ZRH-TXL segment priced as J) through united.com

What I'm trying to figure out is whether BKK-ZRH segment booked in "C" fare would be able to upgrade using UA miles? What exactly needs to be open for upgrade to clear, "O" (as with many other *A), or "A" as others in the thread suggests?
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:22 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kittiyut View Post
What I'm trying to figure out is whether BKK-ZRH segment booked in "C" fare would be able to upgrade using UA miles? What exactly needs to be open for upgrade to clear, "O" (as with many other *A), or "A" as others in the thread suggests?
LX upgrades to First book in a "sub-class" of the A fare bucket. None of the online tools can display this "A" class.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:01 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
LX upgrades to First book in a "sub-class" of the A fare bucket. None of the online tools can display this "A" class.
Just to confirm:

If a SEN (or HON) wants to upgrade a P fare to F using e-vouchers, the only way to check upgrade availability is to call the LX SEN/HON line?

And I assume upgrade availability is the same regardless of whether the SEN/HON is travelling himself or whether he's trying to upgrade someone else?
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Just to confirm:

If a SEN (or HON) wants to upgrade a P fare to F using e-vouchers, the only way to check upgrade availability is to call the LX SEN/HON line?

And I assume upgrade availability is the same regardless of whether the SEN/HON is travelling himself or whether he's trying to upgrade someone else?
As long as there is come A class availability, you will be able to use e-vouchers to upgrade from P. This can be done on the M&M website (annoying) or way better, call the line.

Correct, upgrade availability is the same.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
I have a quick question regarding upgrading an LX P fare with miles: I have a travel in P coming up from JFK-ZRH on 22.02 (the earlier LX flight), the booking is for two people. As far as I can see it is pretty much impossible to get seats for two people in F with miles... Especially since the Availability just jumped from F8A6 to F1A1 and with F8A6 already there was no availability...

Do you think I've got any chance to upgrade at least one person with M&M miles? And what would be the best way to do it?

Needless to say my hopes are very dim...

Last edited by Nick Art; Feb 12, 19 at 3:30 am
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:27 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by bowzer91 View Post
As long as there is come A class availability, you will be able to use e-vouchers to upgrade from P. This can be done on the M&M website (annoying) or way better, call the line.
Thanks for the response.

Is upgrade availability really based on A class availability? Various posts above suggest that the upgrade fare bucket is an unpublished subclass of A (presumably with much less availability than revenue A), though those posts are several years old, so I figured I'd double-check...
behuman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:38 am

Programs: AC*S100K, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Is upgrade availability really based on A class availability? Various posts above suggest that the upgrade fare bucket is an unpublished subclass of A (presumably with much less availability than revenue A), though those posts are several years old, so I figured I'd double-check...
The latter is correct - A>0 for revenue bookings does not guarantee A for eVoucher upgrades.
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
I have a quick question regarding upgrading an LX P fare with miles: I have a travel in P coming up from JFK-ZRH on 22.02 (the earlier LX flight), the booking is for two people. As far as I can see it is pretty much impossible to get seats for two people in F with miles... Especially since the Availability just jumped from F8A6 to F1A1 and with F8A6 already there was no availability...

Do you think I've got any chance to upgrade at least one person with M&M miles? And what would be the best way to do it?

Needless to say my hopes are very dim...
You can be waitlisted for an upgrade... you call it in. Not sure it's worth much though. Tried it once and it didn't work. The miles where credite dback a few days later.
Old Feb 21, 19, 12:58 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ced_lx View Post
You can be waitlisted for an upgrade... you call it in. Not sure it's worth much though. Tried it once and it didn't work..
Waitlisting on LX does work.

I recently had 3 upgrades to F confirmed for LX40 ZRH-LAX months in advance for a flight in April.

I also had a waitlist come through at the gate for the opposite direction (LX41 LAX-ZRH) last week. I did not take it, as only 1 of 3 pax could have beeen upgraded. It turned out to be a good decision, as everybody had to get up and get dressed again shortly after falling asleep when the plane was diverted to YUL...
Seat 1K likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 4:22 am
Fairmont Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Yesterday I waitlisted a mile upgrade for two pax from Z to F on JFK-ZRH. (part of my task to burn 350k miles until Feb 2020). Availability still shows F2, but my hopes are rather dim that they will actually go through. But who knows, maybe they will be upgraded at the gate as you were!
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:46 am
Fairmont Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
Yesterday I waitlisted a mile upgrade for two pax from Z to F on JFK-ZRH. (part of my task to burn 350k miles until Feb 2020). Availability still shows F2, but my hopes are rather dim that they will actually go through. But who knows, maybe they will be upgraded at the gate as you were!
And it was accepted just now at T-10h. Nice! Too bad I won't be flying myself
bowzer91 and vantage03 like this.