Search

Transit hotel at ZRH and very early non Schengen LX flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Transit hotel at ZRH and very early non Schengen LX flights

Am looking at routing BHX-ZRH-LCA. This means a relatively short overnight connection at Zurich before picking up LX370 at 6.05am.

I thought the airside transit hotel would be the perfect solution here, but having e-mailed them they've said 'no'. Instead telling me I need to use a landside hotel.

My suspicion is that they are thinking the LCA flight is within Schengen so the passport check won't be open that early. I've queried this, but does anyone have any thoughts if they are correct?

Going land side and paying 3x the price to stay in the Radisson for 6hrs seems less than optimal!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

My suspicion is that they are thinking the LCA flight is within Schengen so the passport check won't be open that early.
Possible. However, even on their website they say:

Passengers with departure before 06.30 a.m. will be picked up at the reception and driven by bus to the gate.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:12 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Am looking at routing BHX-ZRH-LCA. This means a relatively short overnight connection at Zurich before picking up LX370 at 6.05am.

I thought the airside transit hotel would be the perfect solution here, but having e-mailed them they've said 'no'. Instead telling me I need to use a landside hotel.

My suspicion is that they are thinking the LCA flight is within Schengen so the passport check won't be open that early. I've queried this, but does anyone have any thoughts if they are correct?

Going land side and paying 3x the price to stay in the Radisson for 6hrs seems less than optimal!
Today's WK370/LX8370 to LCA departed from gate E35. The transit hotel is in non-Schegen so there's no need for passport control to get to E gates. It is also behind security.

You may have seen this but this is what the airport's website says about the transit hotel. It appears there is an arrangement for passengers on very early morning flights.

The boarding pass check and security check are open until 10.30 p.m., the passport check until 11 p.m. and as of 6 a.m. (Access possible only with a boarding card and only with hand luggage). No access to/from the Schengen area between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. from/to the Transit Hotel.

Passengers with departure before 06.30 a.m. will be picked up at the reception and driven by bus to the gate.
P.S. I've been beaten by ParisMoskau.
ParisMoskau likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
OK, thanks.

I went back to the hotel, who told me...

"Yes it used to be no problem with these flights, but now there is a new security control built in on the way to the E gates which only opens at 6am.

The flights to Cyprus mostly leave from there.

So you would miss your flight."

====

All a bit odd. Big challenge is the Radisson is >£200 a night whereas the transit hotel is £75...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.