Wiki Posts
Search

LX vs LH SFO-JNB Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
LX vs LH SFO-JNB Business

I can fly SFO-ZRH-JNB (777 and A340) on LX or SFO-FRA-JNB (A380 and 747) on LH. Both in business. My wife and I sitting together. Which is a better experience? Both involve a long layover (ZRH or FRA) of 7-10 hours so lounge is important too. My focus is on:

1. Seating: ability to sleep
2. Seating: comfort while awake
3. Service/food onboard
4. Lounge quality given long layovers

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by blueman2
I can fly SFO-ZRH-JNB (777 and A340) on LX or SFO-FRA-JNB (A380 and 747) on LH. Both in business. My wife and I sitting together. Which is a better experience? Both involve a long layover (ZRH or FRA) of 7-10 hours so lounge is important too. My focus is on:

1. Seating: ability to sleep
2. Seating: comfort while awake
3. Service/food onboard
4. Lounge quality given long layovers

Any thoughts appreciated!
If you were traveling alone, it clearly would be LX, because LH does not have single seats in Business whilst LX has them. All the rest is pretty much a tie, maybe with a slight edge for LX. The seats in the mini cabin (rows 4 and 5, just behind First Class and before door 2) are nice, it's cozier than in the large cathedral of the A380 main cabin.

Lounges: Others will be more competent, I haven't used the SEN lounge in either airport in a long time. Just bear in mind that with a layover of 7-10 hours you don't need to stay in the airport. On both airlines, you can use the arrivals lounge, get a shower, and then head out and visit the city. Zurich downtown and the lake are 20 minutes away from the airport, Frankfurt about 30 minutes. On that criteria, which is not on your list, Zurich is much nicer (lake, mountains).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
As has been mentioned: If you are travelling by yourself, LX's seats with window and aisle access take the cake in a positive sense.

Lounges: The SEN lounge in ZRH with an outdoor patio and one of the largest whisky bars at any airport has definitely a lot going for it... ^
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I'd go with LX. The 2 in the center are great when traveling together. Also a nice 773 to ZRH. The 340 to JNB is a bit tired, but I have flown the route a couple of times and thought it was fine.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks, everyone. San Gottardo, great point on going into Zurich! Neither I or my wife have been there, so that lone tips it towards LX.

Cheers!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by blueman2
Thanks, everyone. San Gottardo, great point on going into Zurich! Neither I or my wife have been there, so that lone tips it towards LX.

Cheers!
Post here before you go, we can give you the "Zurich in a couple of hours" list of things to do.

Other than that LX is a good choice of an airline. You have "double seats" both in the middle of the cabin as well as every second row on the window as well. Depends whether you prefer to have aisle access for both pax or whether one of you wants to sit by the window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.