baggage allowance on award tickets?

Old Jun 7, 17, 7:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 139
zero baggage allowance on award tickets?

I booked a United award ticket booked with Swiss as the operating carrier, in J. I have star alliance gold through TK. The United ticket lists baggage allowance as 2 free bags but also listed Swiss rules apply.

I put in the ticket number on Swiss's site and retrieved the reservation. Fare class is listed as I. It says "no free check-in baggage" in bold for first two Swiss legs (see picture, no baggage info listed for last leg on United). Is that accurate? No bags available for checking in while flying J, intercontinental? Flight is DEL-ZRH-ORD-CMI.

Is this a template message or will I really not be able to check in bags? (I think new "light" fares don't even allow the extra *G bag allowance).

I also have a companion on the same PNR, also award ticket - booked both together with United miles. Companion is not *G.
Attached Images  
Tony300S likes this.

Last edited by Gobus; Jun 7, 17 at 9:20 am
Gobus is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 10:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,650
Search is your friend. Google fnds:

https://www.swiss.com/za/en/prepare/...l#t-page=pane2

In short: Swiss has 2 pc 32 kg each for business class. Add one piece for star gold.
No difference between paid and award tickets.
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 12:30 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
Search is your friend. Google fnds:

https://www.swiss.com/za/en/prepare/...l#t-page=pane2

In short: Swiss has 2 pc 32 kg each for business class. Add one piece for star gold.
No difference between paid and award tickets.
Thank you for your response. I've done the google and the swiss site. I do understand standard allowances. I was just wondering about Swiss very explicitly listing zero baggage allowance as shown in the screenshot I posted. It's there twice actually, once spelled out in English, and then later again in numerals listing checked bags allowed.

That is why I asked here. The only difference I could come up with was the fare class. And it didn't/doesn't make any sense to me why business class ticket should have zero bags listed.
Gobus is offline  
Old Jun 7, 17, 1:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stuck on this planet - mainly in STR and LAX
Posts: 4,650
I never noticed a difference between paid and awards. Sometimes I need to take a lot of stuff. 4 suotcases 32 kg each in F, award or paid was never an issue with LX. The Uber/Taxi at the other end might be a problem.....
Unterwegs is offline  
Old Jun 8, 17, 5:31 am
  #5  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 28,116
Originally Posted by Gobus View Post
I booked a United award ticket booked with Swiss as the operating carrier, in J. I have star alliance gold through TK. The United ticket lists baggage allowance as 2 free bags but also listed Swiss rules apply.

I put in the ticket number on Swiss's site and retrieved the reservation. Fare class is listed as I. It says "no free check-in baggage" in bold for first two Swiss legs (see picture, no baggage info listed for last leg on United). Is that accurate? No bags available for checking in while flying J, intercontinental? Flight is DEL-ZRH-ORD-CMI.

Is this a template message or will I really not be able to check in bags? (I think new "light" fares don't even allow the extra *G bag allowance).
I thought I had come across something similar but couldn't find any screenshot. Then Facebook reminded me I posted this 3 years ago today. It was my last US Airways Dividend Miles redemption on LX in Business. Since I knew it was an error I ignored the comment about no free baggage but joked that I shouldn't have expected much for 80K miles plus taxes for MAN-NRT return in Business.

By the way the "light" fare with no checked baggage only applies to flights within Europe but does not provide extra bag allowance for *G.
Attached Images  
NewbieRunner is online now  
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 69
I see the same for both paid and award flights booked on LX from UA.
ProfessorChaos is offline  
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:21 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 139
Thanks for looking that up. I take you got that similar allowance listed but found it didn't apply. That's the kind of experience I was hoping to find. I just found this really weird, but, I can believe just about any restriction, previously-free and now not, and add-on fees airlines impose.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I thought I had come across something similar but couldn't find any screenshot. Then Facebook reminded me I posted this 3 years ago today. It was my last US Airways Dividend Miles redemption on LX in Business. Since I knew it was an error I ignored the comment about no free baggage but joked that I shouldn't have expected much for 80K miles plus taxes for MAN-NRT return in Business.

By the way the "light" fare with no checked baggage only applies to flights within Europe but does not provide extra bag allowance for *G.
Gobus is offline  
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London | Sydney
Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 1,067
I went to book a business class award on LX today (ZRH-MIA) and it said "no cabin baggage allowed, no check in baggage allowed", or something very similar.

This is on the M&M site. I thought it was VERY odd. I didn't go through with the booking, but it doesn't seem right to me.
vantage03 is offline  
Old Jun 10, 17, 2:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: European: ZRH, Asian: SIN
Posts: 8,743
Their IT just isn't really up to the task and spits out weird results. It's not just with baggage. On long haul, at least for the moment, you'll always have free checkin as well as hand luggage, accordingly to the class you booked (op-up's do NOT change your original allowance) - ie 1*23kg in Economy, 2*32kg in Business, 3*32kg in First, plus status benefits.

Short haul is an entirely different matter. If you book "Light Business" (ie a Light Fare+direct Upsale to Business during booking), you indeed won't have any checkin luggage for free. And no M&M/*G benefits either
YuropFlyer is offline  
Old Jun 10, 17, 10:15 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Their IT just isn't really up to the task and spits out weird results. It's not just with baggage. On long haul, at least for the moment, you'll always have free checkin as well as hand luggage, accordingly to the class you booked (op-up's do NOT change your original allowance) - ie 1*23kg in Economy, 2*32kg in Business, 3*32kg in First, plus status benefits.

Short haul is an entirely different matter. If you book "Light Business" (
ie a Light Fare+direct Upsale to Business during booking), you indeed won't have any checkin luggage for free. And no M&M/*G benefits either
Thanks for the confirmation!

Causes me to wonder... if somehow it is matching award tickets to their "Light" fares, and that's why it says no luggage. I hope that is not the case. I prefer your explanation of bad IT systems... that explains all sorts of weirdness :-) A fairly basic bad if/switch statement would do the job!

Originally Posted by vantage03 View Post
I went to book a business class award on LX today (ZRH-MIA) and it said "no cabin baggage allowed, no check in baggage allowed", or something very similar.
No cabin baggage in business... gets weirder and weirder.
Gobus is offline  
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:26 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 26,358
this has been broken for a very long time. The same bag allowance applies for award tickets. We just flew on a UA award ticket on LX in I-class last week and the usual free bag allowance applied (was showing correctly during OLCI)
cfischer is offline  
Old Jun 18, 17, 6:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriott Gold
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
this has been broken for a very long time. The same bag allowance applies for award tickets. We just flew on a UA award ticket on LX in I-class last week and the usual free bag allowance applied (was showing correctly during OLCI)
I had the same problem when booking Swiss business with united miles. Glad to know its an IT issue
Tony300S likes this.
tomcat007 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:28 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: DL PM, UA Prem Plat (*G), MR Plat, HH Gold, *wood Gold
Posts: 1,048
What about Economy?

Same question, but this time Austrian's website shows 0 bags on a VIE-TLV economy award ticket using UA miles. Does anyone know if award tickets in coach map to the economy light fare with no baggage allowance? I'm a UA *G if that matters.
keloutwest is offline  
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:08 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: LXFF
Posts: 269
These are all IT issues. Same with upgrading J to F, Swiss will still show 2 pieces when you are allowed 3 pieces as with a paid F ticket.
ced_lx is offline  
Old Jun 8, 18, 2:10 pm
  #15  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG
Posts: 2,285
Originally Posted by keloutwest View Post
Same question, but this time Austrian's website shows 0 bags on a VIE-TLV economy award ticket using UA miles. Does anyone know if award tickets in coach map to the economy light fare with no baggage allowance? I'm a UA *G if that matters.
As far as I know all Economy award tickets on LX/LH/OS come with 1 baggage each (cabin and hold) All award tickets book in to X (or N, but thatís a special case we donít need to go into). No matter the program you use to redeem miles.
Nick Art is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: