baggage allowance on award tickets?

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver
That happens with paid bookings made through United on Swiss too; not to worry.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flyweight
am I right that if I book a united economy award using LH miles and more with no status I will have to pay a baggage fee?
Have the same question, anyone has an answer?
Booking says economy flex.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by patvd

Have the same question, anyone has an answer?
Booking says economy flex.
Economy flex will have a bag included its light fares that do not.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:15 pm

Booking of a LH miles&more reward ticket is X fare on United and does NOT include a bag.
United wants to sell me a premium economy bundle, does that include a bag or is it only a premium economy seat?.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by patvd
Booking of a LH miles&more reward ticket is X fare on United and does NOT include a bag.
United wants to sell me a premium economy bundle, does that include a bag or is it only a premium economy seat?.
what is the route? UA wants to sell premium bundles even if parts (or all!) of it is included. One of the many bad features at UA. If you have a TATL flight in X-class you will get a free bag.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:46 am

Just checked in online for my X class OS VIE-SJJ and no bags were included on the boarding pass it issued me, it also says I can't add one online either...

My UA confirmation email says 1 Bag is free, 2nd is 80EUR, but no idea how well that will go over at check in tonight.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
Just checked in online for my X class OS VIE-SJJ and no bags were included on the boarding pass it issued me, it also says I can't add one online either...

My UA confirmation email says 1 Bag is free, 2nd is 80EUR, but no idea how well that will go over at check in tonight.
Does your BP actually state no bags ?
If you have it in writing that a bag is included the checkin agent ought to respect that
Old May 21, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Does your BP actually state no bags ?
If you have it in writing that a bag is included the checkin agent ought to respect that
Yes, both PAX show 1 8kg hand carry and 0 checked bags. When pulling up the reservation on OS it shows X class, Lite, 0 checked bags as well. Only the UA side shows the bags.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
Yes, both PAX show 1 8kg hand carry and 0 checked bags. When pulling up the reservation on OS it shows X class, Lite, 0 checked bags as well. Only the UA side shows the bags.
Its an error then, award tickets dont book into light, thats just for paid tickets.
Let us know how you get on ?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Chase, United
I think I remember this always the case on my UA awards on Swiss. The Swiss eticket reads 0 bags. The UA Ticket, in my case, says 70lbs.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: Chase, United
And no one batted an eye checking my bag.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:26 am

Baggage Allowance on Austrian for Flying Returns Award Ticket

Hi All:

I am facing an issue with my award ticket. I have done search on this forum and google but could not find a solution to my problem. I have booked an award ticket (Economy - X) on Austrian Airlines from Vienna to Podgorica through Flying Returns (Air India). The ticket generated by Air India does not have any baggage information and the box is blank. I called the Air India customer care to check for the allowance, however, they directed me towards Austrian citing that the flight is operated by Austrian. Then, I called Austrian and they mentioned that they are unable to retrieve any baggage information on their system and directed me towards Air India. They mentioned that Air India rules will apply as Air India has booked the ticket. I have observed that this sector (VIE-TGD) offers Economy light ticket without any check-in baggage. I am not sure what to do now. It would be great if anyone can shed some light on what happens in these cases.

Apologies for any mistakes. This is my first post.

Thanks
C

Last edited by chasni; Aug 27, 2019 at 1:27 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, chasni!

With an Economy award ticket (X) on European routes you will get the same baggage allowance as an Economy Classic/Flex ticket, i.e. one checked bag up to 23kg. If you are Star Alliance Gold you can check an additional bag up to 23kg. You can also take a carry-on bag up to 8kg (maximum size 55 x 40 x 23 cm) plus a personal item. More information may be found here.

https://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying..._lang=en&cc=UK
https://www.austrian.com/Info/Flying..._lang=en&cc=UK
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:26 am

@NewbieRunner Thanks for the insight. This is helpful. In my previous conversation with Austrian, I had checked the meaning of Economy - X and asked them whether it refers to Economy Classic. They did not provide an answer and asked me to check with Air India. They had the same answer for every question I asked them. However, they mentioned that rules of Air India will apply and Air India does not have any Economy Light (without baggage) for any of its sectors, international as well domestic, as per my knowledge. I am unable to find this in writing anywhere, so I guess it will depend on my luck and the attitude of check-in agent.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I’m sorry you didn’t get an answer from phone agents. On award tickets you should normally get the full allowance.

Austrian Baggage Allowance on award ticket (X)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.