FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   QUICK - 1 night airport stay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1840092-quick-1-night-airport-stay.html)

QuesoDeCan May 1, 2017 3:41 pm

QUICK - 1 night airport stay

OK so I'm flying into GVA on LX at around 2030h on 5/20/2017 and flying out on 5/21/2017 on United Airliens at 0920h.

I need suggestions asap of lodging at the airport that has free (I hope) shuttle to/from the airport. Totally forgot about this....BUT I hope that there is/are need for VDB for my flight from BCN to GVA AND/OR GVA to EWR the next day. It'd be nice to have internet at the property as the other main amentity....but any kind of good/decent lodging would work. Is it worth it to try to get lodging at/near the French side?

If I'm correct, if chosen and selected, it'll be €250 for BCN/GVA and €600 for GVA/EWR -- for a total of ~900+ USD. HOPE THEY NEED VOLUNTEERS!!?!

Danks/TIA!
QuesoDeCan

vbroucek May 1, 2017 4:03 pm

VDB does not happen as often as you think and I would not hold my breath...

From your calculation, I am guessing that you are on one ticket, so it would be only €600 if you would be late to EWR. If you are on two tickets and your BCN-GVA is delayed so much that you miss your separate ticket GVA-EWR, then you are at much greater financial loss than the benefit of €250 for the BCN-GVA because you will be no show for GVA-EWR flight, ticket will be cancelled and you will have to buy new one.

Finally, GVA is fairly expensive...

pilatusguy May 2, 2017 1:37 am

have you tried google for the hotel? There is a ton of airport hotels in GVA... alot of them are even walking distance (yes GVA is one of the few airports you can actually safely walk to and from :-))
Personally I like to stay at the Movenpick - CHF 191 for the night you're looking at. Ibis budget is naturally cheaper.

Viennafly May 2, 2017 6:26 am

Originally Posted by pilatusguy (Post 28255322)
have you tried google for the hotel? There is a ton of airport hotels in GVA... alot of them are even walking distance (yes GVA is one of the few airports you can actually safely walk to and from :-))
Personally I like to stay at the Movenpick - CHF 191 for the night you're looking at. Ibis budget is naturally cheaper.

There is also a HI Express, Crowne Plaza and others, all in walking distance, but also offering free shuttle service, prizes are ~150 CHF

QuesoDeCan May 2, 2017 7:50 am

how about going to the France side of GVA airport....any hotels there that have shuttle service?

MSPeconomist May 2, 2017 8:00 am

IIRC there's good local train service on the Swiss side, so you're not restricted to airport hotels.

sfoeuroflyer May 2, 2017 9:34 am

Take the train into town

I agree with the other poster that your best bet is to take the train into downtown Geneva. The airport hotels are dreary and the train is cheap and fast. Warning: do not take a hotel near the main train station (not the nicest neighborhood); find something lake side (or along the Rhone).

mmff May 5, 2017 3:23 am

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan (Post 28253758)
I hope that there is/are need for VDB for my flight from BCN to GVA AND/OR GVA to EWR the next day

Oh boy, here we go again. As we told you in your other thread, the chance of this happening is very slim.

Originally Posted by pilatusguy (Post 28255322)

The Nash Airport Hotel, right next to the Ibis, is another cheap option.

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer (Post 28256821)
Warning: do not take a hotel near the main train station (not the nicest neighborhood); find something lake side (or along the Rhone).

This is potentially at odds with his desire to get a cheap hotel room.