Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance for infant if adults are on a light fare (car seat?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Baggage allowance for infant if adults are on a light fare (car seat?)

Flying with an infant on the lap short haul European flight with LX, operated by LX (A320). We booked 2x Adults @ light fare without baggage, plus our toddler @ infant fare (no seat).

My understanding is, that we can bring 1x hand baggage (8kg) per adult, plus a buggy (gate checked). Two questions:

1) I was wondering if it is going to be much of a drama if we bring a 'baby bag' in addition to our hand baggage. It won't be that big but would strictly seen also not qualify as a personal item. We could pack the stuff in the other bags but it would make thinks easier if we can bring it separately, especially during the flight.

2) We are currently debating whether we should bring our own car seat or rent one. If we decided to bring our own, are we allowed to do so? The rule says you can bring a car seat in addition to your baggage. However, we kind of don't have any baggage allowance... Would we be able to check it in nevertheless for free? Or is that gate checked usually?

Thanks for your help - Swiss customer support wasn't that clear and just repeated the general rules (could also be me who just doesn't understand . Just want to make sure I am prepared as good as possible when our little one has his first flight this week.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
1. Diaper bag should be no big deal.
2. Car seat is not allowed as baggage.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/prepare/...hecked-baggage

Children under 4 years of age are entitled to a collapsible pushchair/buggy in all fares. Classic, Flex and Business also entitle infants to 1 item of baggage weighing a maximum of 23 kg.

Carseat not free of charge.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Oliver and Air Rarotonga. I must have mixed things up reg. the car seat - thanks for point this out. It will stay home

Let's hope our little one has some aspiration to become a frequent flyer
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Check the prices for a car seat from the rental, thankfully those days are over for us, but usually the car seat fees were pretty high and you might be better off paying baggage fees for taking your own. Also the car seats provided by the rental agencies are often rather dirty and not always the best quality.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: Miles and More
It is probably too late for the OP, but in this situation it may be better to book Classic fare (with 1 piece of luggage included) for at least one person and add infant reservation to his/her name. In this case you are entitled for 2 pieces of luggage - one for an adult and another - for an infant. So you have two pieces of checked luggage for the price of one. I assume car seat can be checked in as normal luggage. But of course, booking Classic fare somewhere else other than Swiss website is not easy and you may be better off just buying one extra luggage for your Light fares.
I flew Easyjet out of GVA many times and they allow two items of "baby equipment" for free, so car seat and stroller are fine. Until this thread I thought LX has the same policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.