Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by motty
I just made a reservation on LX for a TLV-ZRH and ZRH EWR. Then realized LX was charging for the seats (after a call to their service center), I switched to the direct TLV-EWR on UA Polaris. In UA Polaris - 50% of seats are "Thrones".

Charging for seat assignment on a $3K+ ticket is simply nickel and dimeing your passengers IMHO. In the end LX loss is UA gain. I guess LX has figured out a way to make me prefer UA over them. Way to go LX.

Will not be booking any of my business travel on LX (unless all other airlines start the same despicable practice).
Completely agree with you. SAS business class looks very attractive as well, and their pricing is often better than LX on many transatlantic routes.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by motty;28200975 I switched to the direct TLV-EWR on UA Polaris. In UA Polaris - 50% of seats are "Thrones".[/QUOTE
Much better seat than LX. Pick an odd number window. Better food too.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Ok, saved seats 5 A&B on the 777 from ZRH to YUL months ago. Yesterday kicked out of those seats before OLCI and assigned 10 A&B.
Ouch. That's dirty pool.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:14 pm

Just realized my sister was booted out of 6A (WITHOUT NOTICE) and will no longer be sitting next to myself and my wife on our business class flight we've had booked for months.

I called Swiss to attempt to get her back in that seat and was lied to for an hour by 2 different customer service reps. Was told I had never confirmed 6A and there was no way the system would remove her if I had. Asked why she was randomly assigned 7G 19 days away from our flight when the customer service rep had minutes earlier told me I had confirmed her into 10K...and was promptly hung up on.

Unreal.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Reborn58
Just realized my sister was booted out of 6A (WITHOUT NOTICE) and will no longer be sitting next to myself and my wife on our business class flight we've had booked for months.

I called Swiss to attempt to get her back in that seat and was lied to for an hour by 2 different customer service reps. Was told I had never confirmed 6A and there was no way the system would remove her if I had. Asked why she was randomly assigned 7G 19 days away from our flight when the customer service rep had minutes earlier told me I had confirmed her into 10K...and was promptly hung up on.

Unreal.
Just a follow up on this for anyone who sees it, I called and complained multiple times - they forwarded a request to their "space control department" and 24 hours later my sister was confirmed back into seat 6A (throne seat).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:54 pm

On my upcoming BOS-ZRH flight in J, I have been bumped from my previously selected 6A and moved to 5D. This was booked with AC miles, and I have no LX status.

When I booked my seats a few months ago, I was able to book 6A. Now they have moved me out of it, and are asking for $149 to select it. I can tolerate the idea of charging non-elites for certain J seats, but I think it is unreasonable to remove people from their selected seats once a policy changes. I was also not notified of the change.

Any advice on what seats to choose?

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I'm pretty sure the LX website says seat selections are guaranteed for intercontinental flights - I'd start by complaining loudly and publicly (albeit politely).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by will2288

I'd go for 5A - minicabin feel and usually much nicer service.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

If not willing to pay for a throne (I'm not), next best is one of the middles that's across the aisle from a throne. At least you'll have direct aisle access, with no one climbing over you. And see if you can score a throne for free at check-in.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:23 pm

Happy ending for me. I called them and told them what happened, and they gave me 6A back. I then called back and was able to get 4A (which I'm pretty sure is considered better). Did 4A used to be available to non-status pax for free? I thought not, otherwise I would have selected it originally.

Looking forward to my first LX J flight.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:47 pm

Did 4A used to be available to non-status pax for free?
No, that's always been blocked for SEN/HON.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
If not willing to pay for a throne (I'm not), next best is one of the middles that's across the aisle from a throne. At least you'll have direct aisle access, with no one climbing over you.
Why would you recommend that over an even-numbered K seat? Several appear free, and only the odd-numbered K seats are held for high-level LX elites until check-in.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Why would you recommend that over an even-numbered K seat? Several appear free, and only the odd-numbered K seats are held for high-level LX elites until check-in.
It's been my experience you can't get those, though they do appear open on that seatmap.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's been my experience you can't get those, though they do appear open on that seatmap.
I think there has been a recent change, allowing the even-numbered K seats to be selected for free. I have four upcoming segments on LX J, and in each case I was able to select an even-numbered K seat. (In two cases I decided instead to pay for 4A, since it was bookable.)

I imagine LX made the change because there weren't enough HON/SEN members on each flight to select them at purchase, and a result most of the K seats were going to last-minute check-ins or going out empty.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:11 pm
RJ1

Recently booked some award seats on 77W, LAX-ZRH, and was automatically allocated 5A and 5B. In reading some earlier posts, should I be concerned that we may be bumped from these seats in the future?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: LH HON
5A and 5B are not seen as preferred seats. So you are safe. But they are good seats in the "Stübli", the separate cabin with rows 4 and 5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.