Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Dear MichielR,

As a loyal and valued customer, we would like to inform you in advance about the following changes in SWISS Business.

With the remodeling of SWISS Business on long-haul routes, we have introduced exclusive single seats that are marked by more space and discretion. Due to the overwhelming demand concerning these “Privacy seats”, we will be giving our guests the opportunity to reserve these seats for a fee starting at the end of March.

As a token of our appreciation, we are delighted to continue offering these seats to you at no charge, as long as they are still available at the time of booking.

On behalf of SWISS, I would like to thank you sincerely for your loyalty and your continued trust. We look forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

Best wishes,

Markus Binkert
Chief Commercial Officer
Member of the Management Board
Swiss International Air Lines
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:44 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
"Throne" seats will be available for a charge

Just got a strange email from LX. They will charge extra for the "throne" seats in business, except for their SEN/HON elites.

They justify this with a "high request" for those "privacy seats".

I hope that that price tag will be high enough to keep those best seats available for their own elites.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:04 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by MichielR
for SEN it's free too !

(Sorry MichielR, we posted the same thing at the same time 08:44)
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by behuman
for SEN it's free too !

(Sorry MichielR, we posted the same thing at the same time 08:44)
The email was not specific but at least I added the question mark. Perhaps one of our mods can edit the title.

So, previously thrones were only available and free for SEN and HON, as of March they will be available to anyone at a charge, SEN and HON still free as long as available. I don't consider this an improvement whatsoever, un.ess the price is so steep that nothing changes.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: some
They must be desperate. Outside of BA I was not aware of any carrier who tried to skim C passengers on top of the (often very steep) Biz fares. What is next - BOB in C? Charging for 2A in F?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm curious what this change actually means.

As of last week, all thrones were blocked on the 77W LAX-ZRH-LAX except for SEN/HON. (At first agent said they were "not available." When I said, "you mean they are blocked except for SEN/HON?" she giggled and said "yes.")

Does this change mean that now non-elite can purchase the thrones that were previously blocked?

And how does this play on day of departure? Wonder if I'll be able to get a throne for free next week at check-in?

This is one of the arrogant little LX games that drives me nuts. But I got a great fare and routing, so I have to keep reminding myself to let it go . . . .
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee

Does this change mean that now non-elite can purchase the thrones that were previously blocked?
And how does this play on day of departure? Wonder if I'll be able to get a throne for free next week at check-in?

This is one of the arrogant little LX games that drives me nuts. But I got a great fare and routing, so I have to keep reminding myself to let it go . . . .
This is the same strategy that LH/OS/LX did for the exit row (and bulkhead) seats in Y, which used to be blocked for SEN/HON until check-in starts and then available to anybody for a charge. I guess the difference is that I would argue that there is a considerable increase in comfort from a normal Y to an exit-row Y seat (certainly for people that are as tall as I am), whereas I would argue that I am not sure how many C passengers would pay for a single seat. I guess it will also depend on the prize tag and I would be surprised if it is not at least 50 CHF/EUR!?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Viennafly
This is the same strategy that LH/OS/LX did for the exit row (and bulkhead) seats in Y, which used to be blocked for SEN/HON until check-in starts and then available to anybody for a charge. I guess the difference is that I would argue that there is a considerable increase in comfort from a normal Y to an exit-row Y seat (certainly for people that are as tall as I am), whereas I would argue that I am not sure how many C passengers would pay for a single seat. I guess it will also depend on the prize tag and I would be surprised if it is not at least 50 CHF/EUR!?
So there's something to offend everyone here - SEN/HON who will theoretically have reduced access to thrones, and for the rest of us, an extra charge for a "preferred" seat in business class!

I might pay 50 CHF if the only alternative was a single in one of the window/aisle pairs, especially for an overnight flight.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Would be interesting whats going to happen with existing bookings for "Non Elites". Have a flight mid of april from sin-zrh and got Throne seat in row 15.

From row 15 all the Thrones were available for Non elites when i made the booking last year. Maybe lucky that time. But to say the truth, its going the wrong way to pay additional money for a seat when someone is buying a business class ticket.
I'm ok with it when the better located seat are blocked until a certain moment for their "Elite members". But paying additional for a seat in business, no way. Sorry Swiss
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by frequent-traveller
Would be interesting whats going to happen with existing bookings for "Non Elites". Have a flight mid of april from sin-zrh and got Throne seat in row 15.

From row 15 all the Thrones were available for Non elites when i made the booking last year. Maybe lucky that time. But to say the truth, its going the wrong way to pay additional money for a seat when someone is buying a business class ticket.
I'm ok with it when the better located seat are blocked until a certain moment for their "Elite members". But paying additional for a seat in business, no way. Sorry Swiss
If you want to be a KING for a day why not pay for it? LOL
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If you want to be a KING for a day why not pay for it? LOL
^^
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Why should pay for the seat in biz. Even if i would have the extra money etc...
in my opinion the whole industry is going the wrong way. Squeeze as many people as possible in the biz cabin and reduce the service.

in some planes it doesnt look exclusive anymore. Only advantage is the seat. Emirates doesnt look better with their big planes. Only nice thing is the lounge bar.

Sorry this is only my opinion about it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:54 pm
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
I've also received this E-Mail. Horrible!!! Less availability of the nice seats for SEN/HON means another soft perk is going to be "enhanced" away. The status continues to be for sale! I really hope no pax will pay such ridiculous fees on Business Class (yes we talk avout a several thousand CHF ticket)! @LX: That is poor money making for a cheap airline, but definitely ot how a Premium Airline is supposed to act.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mbr
I've also received this E-Mail. Horrible!!! Less availability of the nice seats for SEN/HON means another soft perk is going to be "enhanced" away. The status continues to be for sale! I really hope no pax will pay such ridiculous fees on Business Class (yes we talk avout a several thousand CHF ticket)! @LX: That is poor money making for a cheap airline, but definitely ot how a Premium Airline is supposed to act.
If I am not wrong I think BA also charges business class passengers for its seats. If I am in J class I dont care what seat I get as the comfort and service is more important for me. Once onboard you are free to select any seat, unless they leave a throne on specific seats to block you from sitting on it?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:00 pm
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.