Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If I am not wrong I think BA also charges business class passengers for its seats. If I am in J class I dont care what seat I get as the comfort and service is more important for me. Once onboard you are free to select any seat, unless they leave a throne on specific seats to block you from sitting on it?
You are correct about BA - Sapphire and higher get selection at booking time, and OW Ruby at about 7 days out. If you flew BA you'd care what seat you get, especially a solo traveler, because there are inside pairs that you have to share a "cabin" space with and climb over someone else to get out of.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by frequent-traveller
Would be interesting whats going to happen with existing bookings for "Non Elites". Have a flight mid of april from sin-zrh and got Throne seat in row 15.

From row 15 all the Thrones were available for Non elites when i made the booking last year. Maybe lucky that time. But to say the truth, its going the wrong way to pay additional money for a seat when someone is buying a business class ticket.
I'm ok with it when the better located seat are blocked until a certain moment for their "Elite members". But paying additional for a seat in business, no way. Sorry Swiss
You shouldn't have a problem, since you booked the seat prior to any changes taking effect. Normally there is no retrospective application.

For elites, this is just following a pattern: e.g., less miles upgrade availability due to upgrade bidding, paid premium seating in Y, etc. Anyway, I find this next step of charging for seat allocations in the premium cabins completely absurd; in my case it is just going to have a counter-productive effect. But it will probably work out for LX, given the high amount of business pax traveling solo they have, most of which will prefer a single seat and most likely some of them willing to pay extra for that...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:16 pm

Complain directly to LX - via your HON/SEN contact mail/phone.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Kacee
I might pay 50 CHF if the only alternative was a single in one of the window/aisle pairs, especially for an overnight flight.
And thereby you validate the LX approach to this: If there is a willingness to pay, they will happily take the money.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is one of the arrogant little LX games that drives me nuts. But I got a great fare and routing, so I have to keep reminding myself to let it go . . . .
Arrogance is the right word and that and it reflects exactely what LX (and the behavior of some of it's air waitress's) are!

Kind of strange. LX & BA have some of the worst inflight seats in business-class and even charge for an advanced seat reservation... bizzarre... Why should I pay higher fares and fees, if I can get a much better inflight product, for i.ex AZ, AY, CX, EY, QR, etc.??? Where the LH Group places 6 people in a row, most airlines just sell 4 seats in a row...

And LX claims to be a 'luxury' airline... ROFL!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Which seats are concerned? Only the real thrones, i.e. the ones with have a table-like armrest on both sides (i.e. 4A, 6A, 8A, 10A, etc on the A330/A340)? Or all single seats?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Arrogance is the right word and that and it reflects exactely what LX (and the behavior of some of it's air waitress's) are!

Kind of strange. LX & BA have some of the worst inflight seats in business-class and even charge for an advanced seat reservation... bizzarre... Why should I pay higher fares and fees, if I can get a much better inflight product, for i.ex AZ, AY, CX, EY, QR, etc.??? Where the LH Group places 6 people in a row, most airlines just sell 4 seats in a row...

And LX claims to be a 'luxury' airline... ROFL!
I assume you are referring to LH, not LX? If you discount the dated IFE in the 330/340 fleet, LX's C seats are actually not that bad, and the 777 actually very good...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Which seats are concerned? Only the real thrones, i.e. the ones with have a table-like armrest on both sides (i.e. 4A, 6A, 8A, 10A, etc on the A330/A340)? Or all single seats?
My money is on all singles
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yuck. Well, got my wife throne seats for her flight to SIN next week.

They got to make them available at OCLI ... then I think it is fine. Curious what they'll charge for these seats.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Curious what they'll charge for these seats.
Swiss has confirmed the 'throne' seat selection fee will be between 99-199CHF (around US$100-$200 or €90-€190) depending on the length of the flight.

Source: https://www.ausbt.com.au/swiss-to-ch...ss-class-seats
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
You will now be de-throned!
Dhamal likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:08 pm

Suddenly it's not so good to be the king... (with apologies to Mel Brooks).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:06 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Swiss has confirmed the 'throne' seat selection fee will be between 99-199CHF (around US$100-$200 or €90-€190) depending on the length of the flight.

Source: https://www.ausbt.com.au/swiss-to-ch...ss-class-seats
That's a crazy amount of money. The email they sent out also read as an insult to SENs.

LX has gone to crazy lengths to deceive people recently. I mean selling bottled champagne to those even in European business, which turns out to be the same bottle you get by being in business...

Now charging up to 200 CHF per flight for a seat assignment.

I wonder how long until they add the ability to buy a First class meal in Business class, or buy access to the F lounge.

Full service carriers remain clueless and without coherent strategies in their efforts to make a quick buck but ultimately lose out to LCCs who have become a lot more customer friendly.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GVA
That's a crazy amount of money. The email they sent out also read as an insult to SENs.

LX has gone to crazy lengths to deceive people recently. I mean selling bottled champagne to those even in European business, which turns out to be the same bottle you get by being in business...

Now charging up to 200 CHF per flight for a seat assignment.

I wonder how long until they add the ability to buy a First class meal in Business class, or buy access to the F lounge.

Full service carriers remain clueless and without coherent strategies in their efforts to make a quick buck but ultimately lose out to LCCs who have become a lot more customer friendly.

That's why LH & LX are losing customers to the ME3!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GVA
That's a crazy amount of money.
That's the point. LX "offers" these seats to non-statuts PAX all while asking for comparably high price which results in little or no demand.

On my most recent BA flights in CW, only few seats were selected in C prior to the 7-day deadline. After that the seats started filling quite quickly.

Originally Posted by GVA
... in their efforts to make a quick buck but ultimately lose out to LCCs who have become a lot more customer friendly.
But given that there is no true substitute for C unless you consider the ME3 to be low cost carriers (which admittedly can be said to some extend), LX and others will get away with it.

That is of course, if you stay loyal to the brand. I've distanced myself from M&M in recent time. We are already 2 months into 2017 and I still haven't flown a single LH/LX segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.