Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrones no longer available for free (except HON/SEN)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
The economic rationale may also be this: if only very few pax actually pay the “premium” seat fee, and most of those few are willing to pay a higher fee, the fee may as well be increased to generate more revenue. Personally, I find the seat booking fee in the premium cabins absurd and have never paid one on any carrier (not an issue to me with LX as status pax anyway).
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by chris63
Indeed, it’s just not premium to charge for seats in J, do agree with blocking some seats for SEN & HON but not charges for the rest.
I’m sure this is losing LX customers
The problem is: I don't think this is actually much of a factor for LX.

First off, most of the money is made on the direct flights (ZRH tends to have high fares). When it comes to paid seat selection vs having a connection, most people probably choose the direct flight option even if it means paying for the good seats.

Secondly, if someone books UA or LH instead of LX: they don't lose any money because of the revenue sharing.

Yes, they've lost me as a customer many times. I'm not the typical customer, I doubt they care.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by televisor
The problem is: I don't think this is actually much of a factor for LX.

First off, most of the money is made on the direct flights (ZRH tends to have high fares). When it comes to paid seat selection vs having a connection, most people probably choose the direct flight option even if it means paying for the good seats.

Secondly, if someone books UA or LH instead of LX: they don't lose any money because of the revenue sharing.

Yes, they've lost me as a customer many times. I'm not the typical customer, I doubt they care.
Yes, ZRH has very high fares but they rely on transfer pax to fill the planes up, some of them will undoubtedly have gone elsewhere rather than pay for a seat in J, with their IT I doubt they are calculating those losses correctly.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fransknorge
BA always has outrageous seat selection fees in J for non elites.
And they just raised theirs, too.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Thrones for/fuer SEN

Hey all with the new LX/LH/OS LH Gruppe seating charges, are the Throne aka Privacy Seats on LX still free for SEN?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes they are.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by airoli
Yes they are.
Thx Super guet!
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:09 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by cbourl
Hey all with the new LX/LH/OS LH Gruppe seating charges, are the Throne aka Privacy Seats on LX still free for SEN?
You may wish to read LX raises price for throne pre-selection...grrr , especially # 6
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:19 am

Question SWISS Throne Seats for Free?

I am flying SWISS business class on LX 41 (LAX to ZRH) and then LX 180 (ZRH to BKK) on a B777-300ER. I am not HON or SEN.

The throne seats normally cost. But I've read that if you ask 48 hours in advance and no one has chosen those seats, you can get them for free. But when I've tested that, it looks like all advanced seat assignments for business class are turned off, and that you have to check in again at 23 hours before take off to get the throne seat.

Has anyone actually scored a throne seat for free without being HON or SEN? What's the exact procedure for doing that?

Thanks.

Last edited by alocsin; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:34 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Afaik being neither HON nor SEN you can only get a throne seat once the check-in opens, means 23hrs in advance. If you have a feeder flight you can usually check in earlier for the following segment, i.e. 23hrs before your first segment the second segment is often also open for Check-In and thus it might be easier to score a throne for the ZRH-BKK segment.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
You will certainly not get one for free by asking. They sell them for several 100$.

48 hours in advance the seats should open up. (That is before check-in!) Then you can select them for free if they are still available.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:37 am

Done it several times at online check in, without status with LH/LX.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by alocsin
The throne seats normally cost. But I've read that if you ask 48 hours in advance and no one has chosen those seats, you can get them for free. But when I've tested that, it looks like all advanced seat assignments for business class are turned off, and that you have to check in again at 23 hours before take off to get the throne seat.

Has anyone actually scored a throne seat for free without being HON or SEN? What's the exact procedure for doing that?
Indeed, Swiss do block (aka disable) seat selection 48+ hours before travel.

I've gotten them for free (as UA*G, but that shouldn't matter), but only via the usual checkin, which doesn't open until closer to the flight.

I'm guessing the 48 hour claim is from older better days when Swiss were less obnoxious than they currently are?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Nick Art
48 hours in advance the seats should open up. (That is before check-in!) Then you can select them for free if they are still available.
But how?

I am a *G and right now, I am ~40h away from a A330 flight in C. Seat selection is now closed and online check-in not yet available.

I am usually successful at getting a throne once online check-in opens, but I'd love to know about a way to get it in the 48-24h window.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
If this is your first flight, SWISS opens online check-in for you 23 hrs before the departure time.

For those whose bookings include other flights before this flight, the online check-in and seat selection will be available 23 hrs before THEIR first flight, so they will be will be ahead of you.

Star Alliance Gold doesn't help, M&M SEN does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.