Swiss denies compensation

Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
I received 5000 miles, and have SEN status with Swiss. It almost feels like an insult.
I felt the same way when I was only offered 5000 miles in a similar case last year (on Brussels Airlines though).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: M&M HON***
positive experience

I just had a very positive experience in this regard: my two children were booked for MUC-ZRH-GRU. The flight MUC-ZRH was delayed so they would have missed the connection. Therefore they were rebooked, still in Munich, for the same flights on the subsequent day. I then wrote an email to Swiss asking for EC261 compensation in the amount of EUR 1,200. I received an email reply a couple of hours later apologizing for the inconvenience and confirming that I would receive the requested compensation amount within 14 days on the bank account I had informed them.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by gru_muc
I just had a very positive experience in this regard: my two children were booked for MUC-ZRH-GRU. The flight MUC-ZRH was delayed so they would have missed the connection. Therefore they were rebooked, still in Munich, for the same flights on the subsequent day. I then wrote an email to Swiss asking for EC261 compensation in the amount of EUR 1,200. I received an email reply a couple of hours later apologizing for the inconvenience and confirming that I would receive the requested compensation amount within 14 days on the bank account I had informed them.
What cabin?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by gru_muc
They must be nicer when HON members make a request, especially when there was a "normal" delay and not some pseudo-technical issue.

Originally Posted by mmff
What cabin?
Does that matter? I think the fact that a HON member claimed on behalf of children made the difference.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Does that matter? I think the fact that a HON member claimed on behalf of children made the difference.
I'd say that a HON making the claim or the affected PAX having travelled in F would have the same effect.

(I did not notice that gru_muc was a HON when I submitted my previous reply.)
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by mmff
I'd say that a HON making the claim or the affected PAX having travelled in F would have the same effect.

(I did not notice that gru_muc was a HON when I submitted my previous reply.)
Could be - but not as a rule. I have had other straightforward EC261 cases where LH first denied compensation to me and only paid after I threatened to simply hand over the matter to fairplane and let them do the legal work.

The entire case handling is a black box to me - sometimes it works out fine, and sometimes it's very cumbersome.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'd have thought that LX should have made some attempt at re-routing the "children" on the same day.

But I guess they were travelling in F, right?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'd have thought that LX should have made some attempt at re-routing the "children" on the same day.

But I guess they were travelling in F, right?
Rerouting was no longer possible, the next available flight would have been on the next day anyway. They were traveling on a cheap eco fare.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:48 am

2 flights cancelled on the same reservation!

Hello, waiting for SWISS to come back on my cancelled flights.
Hard to believe but i had 2 flights cancelled on the same reservation number (on 2 different dates)
ZRH-MAD and then ZRH-LUX
for the wife and 2 kids : ZRH-LUX.

I'll report here what is the outcome,

Have a good day.

Pascal

13-Aug-2017:
Update from SWISS, out of 2 flights (5 tickets in total) only 1 ticket is entitled for compensation.
SWISS was fast to reply but did not offer any kind of compensation for the flights that were cancelled due to "technical reasons". I am a bit disappointed with that.

Have a good day. Pascal

Last edited by froggyranita; Aug 13, 2017 at 9:39 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:43 pm

Was traveling TXL-ZRH-VCE on 23/7/17 with only a 45 minute ZRH layover. First flight delayed, missed connection. Agent was waiting at the gate with our boarding pass for the next flight to Venice, 5 hours later. He also directed us to a lounge, but we were flying paid business so we had access to that anyway.

We arrived in Venice almost 6 hours delayed. Submitted a claim on the website, but expecting to have to fight for our 500 Euro. We also got sick of the lounge after a few hours, since it was constant noise of plates and glasses being cleaned up and banging together. We ate at a restaurant in the airport, and unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to keep the receipt. I included that with a screenshot of the line item on my credit card bill, but I am not expecting to get that reimbursed.

Will report back when I hear anything.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:49 pm

Can I sue Swissair back in the UNITED STATES?

Originally Posted by penner42
Was traveling TXL-ZRH-VCE on 23/7/17 with only a 45 minute ZRH layover. First flight delayed, missed connection. Agent was waiting at the gate with our boarding pass for the next flight to Venice, 5 hours later. He also directed us to a lounge, but we were flying paid business so we had access to that anyway.

We arrived in Venice almost 6 hours delayed. Submitted a claim on the website, but expecting to have to fight for our 500 Euro. We also got sick of the lounge after a few hours, since it was constant noise of plates and glasses being cleaned up and banging together. We ate at a restaurant in the airport, and unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to keep the receipt. I included that with a screenshot of the line item on my credit card bill, but I am not expecting to get that reimbursed.

Will report back when I hear anything.
I was denied the compensation for the 24 hours delay, next day rebooking of my flight Warsaw-Zurich-Newark.
In an email I got this response:

"Flight LX1349 was delayed as a result of an oil temperature problem. This cause is considered an extraordinary circumstance and you are therefore not eligible for any financial compensation."

This is a nonsense, wrong and nasty treatment of a faitfull customer so I would like to try to sue them in tbe US if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Waruszka

I was denied the compensation for the 24 hours delay, next day rebooking of my flight Warsaw-Zurich-Newark.

"Flight LX1349 was delayed as a result of an oil temperature problem. This cause is considered an extraordinary circumstance and you are therefore not eligible for any financial compensation."

This is a nonsense, wrong and nasty treatment of a faitfull customer so I would like to try to sue them in tbe US if possible.
You're aware this is standard practice, right? You can get a lawyer to help you claiming your 600€ (your risk) or using one of various EU Claim agencies (Google up, not suggesting a particular one) who are usually taking 25-30% of the compensation but no risk for you.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Waruszka

This is a nonsense,....
A newsworthy post would be on where SWISS gracefully paid up. Sadly, refusing is by now ingrained behaviour.

Please do go ahead and sue!

As YuropFlyer suggests, the simplest way to assess your chances of success is through one of the agencies that handle these things: if they judge success is likely they can take on your case, relieving you of hassle, but taking a substantial part of the compensation if they're successful.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:31 am

Swiss surprised me. Flight Germany-ZRH cancelled (fire indication after boarding). Re-booked to the flight on the next day.Filled out the form on the website. Was expecting a long wait and a bogous reason for declining.
About a week later I got this from them:
"...Der Flug musste auf Grund eines technischen Defekts kurzfristig annulliert werden. Ihrer Forderung nach einer Kompensation nach EU Verordnung (EG) Nr. 261/2004 kommen wir in diesem Fall gerne nach. Die EU-Verordnung sieht für Flüge über 3500km Entfernung eine Kompensation von EUR 600 pro Person vor.Der Gesamtbetrag in Höhe von EUR 1200 wird Ihnen innerhalb der nächsten 14 Tage auf das Konto...."

google translation:The flight had to be canceled due to a technical defect at short notice. Your demand for compensation according to EU Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 will be met in this case. The EU regulation provides for a compensation of EUR 600 per person for flights over 3500km distance.
The total amount of EUR 1200 will be credited to your account within the next 14 days ....
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Your demand for compensation according to EU Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 will be met in this case. The EU regulation provides for a compensation of EUR 600 per person for flights over 3500km distance.
The total amount of EUR 1200 will be credited to your account within the next 14 days ....

a newsworthy post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.