Community
Wiki Posts
Search

making a child older - problem?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
making a child older - problem?

Hi,
just booked flights for the family in June... my one son is 1.9 years old, I do want a seat for him though... made him one year older in the booking to be able to actually book a seat. Is this a issue? Flight is to PMI...

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2016, 5:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That's fine, as long as you have a seat, it's no issue. What airlines hate is you booking an INF seat when older than 2yrs and taking advantage of CHD fares when >12years.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That's fine..
Doesn't that create trouble with authorities on certain routes?

In Oz that might be a medium sized issue if memory serves right.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by weero
Doesn't that create trouble with authorities on certain routes?

In Oz that might be a medium sized issue if memory serves right.
I'm not sure it will - it is the passport details that are shared with immigration authorities and these will show the correct age.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I'm not sure it will - it is the passport details that are shared with immigration authorities and these will show the correct age.
Yes I am certainly not sure, and in most places it is unlikely to matter. But for some ports age and passport details (and to a lesser degree the spelling of the name) tolerate no deviation. So outside of Europe, I'd be reluctant to book online and modify that parameter.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:05 pm

What a strange discussion; I thought Oliver2002's answer would have been enough, but no). Here's a summary:

- OP wants to pay for the baby, rather than it flying for free! Does LX really mind if somebody pays more on a voluntary basis? Is it explicitly written in any fare conditions that infants must travel for free (or is it 10%)?

- The data in the passport will be "shared with the immigration authorities": will they send the child back to Switzerland for attempting to enter illegally into Spain? Wow, what a thought!

- Now, even if the OP or anybody else would like to repeat this "outside Europe", say in the USA for the sake of the argument, does anybody really think that the CBP agent will look into the booking class of the baby?

I guess none of you ever tried this to have a good personal experience, that's solid "expert" advice! C'me on fellas, cool down!
Old May 9, 2016, 5:06 am

One can be hellenically over-relaxed in such matters.
Originally Posted by KLouis
- OP wants to pay for the baby, rather than it flying for free! Does LX really mind if somebody pays more on a voluntary basis? Is it explicitly written in any fare conditions that infants must travel for free (or is it 10%)?
No idea but LX won't care if you buy an additional seat.
The data in the passport will be "shared with the immigration authorities": will they send the child back to Switzerland for attempting to enter illegally into Spain?
So you have a route in mind ... within Schengen this won't be an issue and no one here has claimed so.
Now, even if the OP or anybody else would like to repeat this "outside Europe", say in the USA for the sake of the argument, does anybody really think that the CBP agent will look into the booking class of the baby?
Leaving the US you may get away with it, entering may be difficult. But a freind of my was denied boarding in Australia based on an obvious single digit typo in is DOB. They forced the whole ticket re-issue.
I guess none of you ever tried this to have a good personal experience, that's solid "expert" advice! C'me on fellas, cool down!
Is this how you derive conclusions? There is no solid evidence either way. There are leads that it can go wrong on certain routes. Hence you resort to the argument "I pick the route I want" and "nothing has happened yet" as 'proof' that it will be ok?
Old May 9, 2016, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Bizarre - why fake the age, just buy a seat and enter the correct birthdate.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by weero
One can be hellenically over-relaxed in such matters...
Absolutely! And certainly better from a medical point of view (lower risk of heart attacks and/or strokes).
Old May 10, 2016, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Bizarre - why fake the age, just buy a seat and enter the correct birthdate.
It sounds like the website won't sell a ticket to anyone younger than 2.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It sounds like the website won't sell a ticket to anyone younger than 2.
That's often the case...a quick phone call solves that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.