Swiss First Class Lounge just for Swiss

Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by worldclubber
But it's ZRH we are talking about here and the FCL in E is not usually too busy. I have seen all tables in the restaurant section occupied a few times during "rush hour", but still would not call it "crowding".
I guess there might be a bit of a difference between US and rest-of-world expectations. Pax in the USA are used to full F and J cabins. And lounges comfortably full. But that's not necessarily how it works elsewhere where an empty lounge is a nice peaceful lounge.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
But it's ZRH we are talking about here and the FCL in E is not usually too busy. I have seen all tables in the restaurant section occupied a few times during "rush hour", but still would not call it "crowding".
oh I agree with you. I’m fine keeping it this way.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I guess there might be a bit of a difference between US and rest-of-world expectations. Pax in the USA are used to full F and J cabins. And lounges comfortably full. But that's not necessarily how it works elsewhere where an empty lounge is a nice peaceful lounge.
youre drawing a false dichotomy between empty and comfortably full. Especially in SFO the lounges before the Polaris lounge were overcrowded (especially the United Club and Cent lounge). I haven’t visited them since Polaris open, but I would say the Polaris lounge isn’t too crowded. It lacks intimacy though.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NYC1
People can argue any point to death, but the concept of flying on LX metal in F yet not getting access to the F lounge is illogical, shortsighted and pigheaded.
+ 1 & that’s putting it politely
justforfun and worldclubber like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mrow

If you’re talking about an SQ codeshare on LX in F then I think similar confusion would ensue. After all, custom and practice dictates that you abide by the operating carriers rules and use their ground services such as checkin etc.
That's the nub of the SWISS silliness. Papa Lufthansa was always happy to open the doors of its F-class lounges and F-terminal to those travelling on its services, regardless of the ticketing carrier. In the same way AA-ticketed passengers travelling on BA get to use Heathrow's Concorde Room (yet another non-designated alliance lounge).

It's behaviour that makes sense. The airline is carrying just a handful of passengers in considerable luxury for up to twelve hours: to segregate them on the ground into first-first class and second-first class is bonkers. Double bonkers operating under the auspice of a joint venture agreement

Only on Swiss would you find a smug employee saying "our lounge is reserved for our passengers"

I had enormous fun on a UA ticketed SWISS flight in first. After being refused F-lounge entry I put together a substantial picnic from the fine shops at Zurich airport and took it on board with my own selection of drinks. The charming cabin crew were shocked when I started my own meal service, explaining that I'd been concerned about what I'd receive as a non-SWISS passenger after the treatment I'd received on the ground. To their credit they kept my drink chilled, and the CdC wrote a detailed report.

I later took things up with United's European chief. He claimed to have no knowledge of the Swiss shenanigans and promised to sort it out. He didn't: for all their fine characteristics, the Swiss can be tremendously stubborn
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I had enormous fun on a UA ticketed SWISS flight in first. After being refused F-lounge entry I put together a substantial picnic from the fine shops at Zurich airport and took it on board with my own selection of drinks. The charming cabin crew were shocked when I started my own meal service, explaining that I'd been concerned about what I'd receive as a non-SWISS passenger after the treatment I'd received on the ground. To their credit they kept my drink chilled, and the CdC wrote a detailed report.
Yes I recall reading about that on FT, possibly in this thread, it did make me laugh. Shame that you had to go to such lengths to make a point though.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrow

Yes I recall reading about that on FT, possibly in this thread, it did make me laugh. Shame that you had to go to such lengths to make a point though.
i dunno seems to be going to great lengths to make a point. who cares

i love FCL E but it’s just a lounge at the end of the day. If I had to “slum” it out in the senator lounge I’d be ok. FCL A can be annoying because it has no windows onto the tarmac. I love traveling to watch the planes so I’ll sometimes skip the lounge altogether to watch in the regular seating area
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That's the nub of the SWISS silliness. Papa Lufthansa was always happy to open the doors of its F-class lounges and F-terminal to those travelling on its services, regardless of the ticketing carrier. In the same way AA-ticketed passengers travelling on BA get to use Heathrow's Concorde Room (yet another non-designated alliance lounge).

It's behaviour that makes sense. The airline is carrying just a handful of passengers in considerable luxury for up to twelve hours: to segregate them on the ground into first-first class and second-first class is bonkers. Double bonkers operating under the auspice of a joint venture agreement

Only on Swiss would you find a smug employee saying "our lounge is reserved for our passengers"

I later took things up with United's European chief. He claimed to have no knowledge of the Swiss shenanigans and promised to sort it out. He didn't: for all their fine characteristics, the Swiss can be tremendously stubborn

It amazes me that you all think you are entitled to use the Swiss Lounge when you are not a Swiss elite. For shame. For once the swiss "rules are rules" outdoes the Germans. Thank you Swiss Air for keeping the "others" out. We really don't want to associate with them. And why are they being stubborn to keep the riff-raff out? Next you will want kids in shorts and barefoot in.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Zurick
It amazes me that you all think you are entitled to use the Swiss Lounge when you are not a Swiss elite. For shame. For once the swiss "rules are rules" outdoes the Germans. Thank you Swiss Air for keeping the "others" out. We really don't want to associate with them. And why are they being stubborn to keep the riff-raff out? Next you will want kids in shorts and barefoot in.
You obviously forgot the at the end.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The primary function of the LX FCL’s is for Pax flying F on LX metal, Elite HON access is the entitlement granted.

HON for life, Wow ^ I am aware of SEN for life, what criteria for HON for life ?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
The primary function of the LX FCL’s is for Pax flying F on LX metal, Elite HON access is the entitlement granted.

HON for life, Wow ^ I am aware of SEN for life, what criteria for HON for life ?
Since he wrote "Swiss Air", he may be Swiss Air Elite for life.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since he wrote "Swiss Air", he may be Swiss Air Elite for life.
Could be, I was going on his published title, can you imagine how many Stars ⭐️HON for life would be ?
Would be life changing, all those ⭐️.
mmff likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by chris63

There is no such thing as lifetime HON.

https://svenblogt.boardingarea.com/l...pt-leserfrage/
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
There is no such thing as lifetime HON.
They know...
chris63 and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Nicely tongue in cheek. Though you can never tell for sure with Zurichers

I was a Swiss uber-elite. OK, a Swissair uber-elite, until the airline went belly up.
chris63 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.