Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ZRH-SIN - LX or SQ from a Star Alliance points and airline product perspective?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Question ZRH-SIN - LX or SQ from a Star Alliance points and airline product perspective?

Hi all

I'll be travelling a lot for work ZRH-SIN. I have the options of flying LX or SQ. Both are direct and the times of the flights work either way.

I'm wondering which airline should I be looking to use to maximise my Star Alliance points? I'd also like to enjoy the better product of the two - I'll be travelling in Business Class - not sure which is better either on this route?

In terms of the points - I'm a newbie to Star Alliance so just starting to build up miles on LX and plan on get Star Alliance Gold in a few months - hopefully.

Thanks - appreciate the suggestions.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you fly a lot why don't you try both?
Old May 7, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

isn't it more beneficial for me to fly on LX if I'm accumulating miles on LX rather than fly with SQ and accrue the miles on an LX miles and more account?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
isn't it more beneficial for me to fly on LX if I'm accumulating miles on LX rather than fly with SQ and accrue the miles on an LX miles and more account?
Not necessarily. In fact if you fly SQ on Miles & More, you may be better off flying SQ. The minimum miles on SQ is 1.5x the distance, while on LX the minimum is only 1.0x the distance. Plus you get to fly on the A380. Both airlines award up to 2.0x the distance in miles, so in some cases you may be better off flying LX (depending on availability and price).
Old May 7, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

ok thanks -

so from a miles perspective it seems it's almost the same or SQ gets the win

What about from a product perspective - which airline has a better service, amenities, lounges, etc?
Old May 7, 2015, 11:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you are comparing miles accrual, don't forget you will earn executive bonus once you reach FTL status in M&M so you will get 125%/175%/225% status/award miles on LX depending on your booking class.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
3 return trips in J on SQ will earn him *G status based on PPS revenue, but he can bank the miles into M&M.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:53 am
CRJ

Programs: LX/LH Life Sen, QF Plat, HH Diamond
Product wise SQ makes LX look positively ordinary IMO. And when you factor in the continuing "refinements" to LX/LH M&M I would even consider to make Krisflyer your home programme. Brilliant SQ lounges at Changi. Overall an entirely different level of valued client appreciation experience. Probably for a better fare too. Wouldn't give it even a minute's further thought, sorry to say (from the LX perspective). Enjoy!
Old May 8, 2015, 4:59 am
CRJ

Programs: LX/LH Life Sen, QF Plat, HH Diamond
Note carefully also as Miles Collector said above, SQ more generous with their miles payout too... Better product, more miles...
Old May 8, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
From a mileage redemption point of view: Premium class awards on SQ metal are (with some exceptions) only available to KF members, whereas LX F redemptions are only possible for SEN or HON. LH F availability is also much better using M&M miles than with partner FFPs. @:-)
Old May 8, 2015, 9:53 am

Other than ZRH-SIN which routes will you be flying? This might determine which program to choose.

In my opinion the SQ business class seat is far superior to the LX seat. Direct aisle access form every seat, much wider seat, more privacy, wider really flat sleeping surface, quieter plane (380). Only disadvantage: You need to get up to change your seat to a bed (the backrest folds down).
Old May 8, 2015, 9:24 pm

SQ Business is superior to LX. No doubt about that. But OP should try both so that he can decide for himself.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you all -

hm... I have been travelling from ZRH-LHR and ZRH-IST so started to accrue miles on LX (after moving away from United as I'm now based in ZRH)

To answer one of the questions above, I will be travelling between ZRH-SIN and ZRH-BLR (which I know you can't fly direct, I'll have to layover somewhere...haven't had to make that journey yet so don't know my layover airport strategy yet!)

I don't have may miles on LX right now and no status so I could start over and point my mileage accrual towards SQ. (don't think I can transfer the miles between SA carriers? )

So I should have asked in the original question - which airline should I focus my miles on - LX or SQ when travelling from ZRH-SIN and ZRH-???-BLR.

Thanks
Old May 9, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; de) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1033 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Fly SQ, bank to M&M and double dipp towards SQ PPS. That's also how I operate .
Old May 10, 2015, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior

Fly SQ, bank to M&M and double dipp towards SQ PPS. That's also how I operate .
^^ , and a much better C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.