Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: None anymore
I'm seeing $1,600 for an upgrade to First on a November flight to Sao Paulo. What do you think my chances of winning the bid if I bid near the minimum?? Fair bid is $2,400.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Some other data points:
LX138 ZRH-HKG, from Business class C, upgrade bargain min bid CHF 1560.
LX177 SIN-ZRH, from Business class D, upgrade bargain min bid CHF 1700.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:02 pm

I bid on ZRH-GRU and GRU-ZRH for 20GBP over the minimum price possible. Minimum was 1,200GBP. Right now on the outbound one seat is taken, return 3 seats taken. Flight is towards the end of November.

We'll see!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177
So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.
Those figures are for upgrades to F.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Those figures are for upgrades to F.
Right, already got a great fare for RT business so this is to upgrade to F. I bid just over the lowest just to see if I get it, otherwise I'm in the throne seat which is fine.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
You can currently buy a F ( A ) return CDG-ZRH-GIG for that price, see premium fares forum 😊
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Does Plusgrade consider the original booking class when setting the minimum bid?

I had a business D fare ticket for which the minimum upgrade amount (with ”poor chance”!) was the same amount as the fare difference between D and A when I initially booked. I wouldn’t consider that an ”upgrade bargain”.

If the minimum bid is set to the same absolute amount also when the initial fare is P or Z, then it would make some sense to bid, but otherwise I don’t see the point of bidding an amount that makes the total expense the same as having booked A up front.

Furthermore, would Plusgrade look at the total airline value (eg Z + 1000 euros wins over P + 1100 euros) or only at the Plusgrade bid amount on its own...?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Vixit
Does Plusgrade consider the original booking class when setting the minimum bid?
Yes and more specifically, segment yield.
Furthermore, would Plusgrade look at the total airline value (eg Z + 1000 euros wins over P + 1100 euros)
Yes but as mentioned, more on an effective segment yield rather than a booking class basis.
Vixit likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:56 am

My bid has been accepted - just over the minimum bid by about 100GBP. Score!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Avios, TrueBlue, FlyingBlue, Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Are "LOW" Economy fares eligible for upgrades to Business Class?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:10 pm

I bid CHF510 on GVA to JFK on a Saturday departure in November. That was the absolute lowest allowed amount. Upgrade cleared about 3 days before the flight. IIRC, 6 seats remained unspoken for and went empty on the flight.

My base fare was less than CHF 300 R/T on a K (or was it T?) fare (on sale). So I essentially went, on a one-way basis, CHF 150 with zero miles in economy to paying CHF 660 for a business class seat with ~3,800 miles posted to my *G account as per P fare. This counts as a status mile in my program, to boot.

All in all, a win-win for me and LX given the loads.

Return leg JFK-GVA was rejected at CHF 470.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Miles & More
Status miles when bidding

Hello,
Swiss is offering the possibility to bid for an upgrade to business from Economy for a BOS-ZRH flight (starting at 550 CHF).
If I win the bid and upgrade, will I receive Status Miles as if I had bought a Business Class ticket? More particularly, what booking class will I be in? Does it depend on how much I bid?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: FB Gold, SPG Plat
Judging from my experience with this (3 years ago) your ticket will be reissued in P class and you will earn award/status miles corresponding to P class.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
I don't think LX will reissue the ticket. But if your bid is accepted, they will just revalidate with the new cabin class (electronic sticker where the original ticket number stays the same.) It can be P or Z or even O, Swiss does not have the same system as LH and they often do things in their own way.
They are offering paying upgrades as the flight is probably full and they prefer doing upgrades for CHF iso for free!
The miles will be credited for the total amount spent for the ticket (original fare + YQ + what you pay for an upgrade. I would never make a bid for an upgrade myself. It is just another "trick" to get more money for already overbooked flights! But good luck!
Before I bid, if I were you, I would check the total fare K + P which is sometimes a good option if the flight is around 6 hours long and being in economy is not so bad. Hope I could answer your doubts. Xmas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.