FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

warrenw Sep 17, 18 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 30213782)
So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.

Originally Posted by mmff (Post 30214031)
Those figures are for upgrades to F.

Right, already got a great fare for RT business so this is to upgrade to F. I bid just over the lowest just to see if I get it, otherwise I'm in the throne seat which is fine.

chris63 Sep 18, 18 2:05 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 30213782)
So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.

You can currently buy a F ( A ) return CDG-ZRH-GIG for that price, see premium fares forum 😊

Vixit Nov 12, 18 11:25 pm

Does Plusgrade consider the original booking class when setting the minimum bid?

I had a business D fare ticket for which the minimum upgrade amount (with ”poor chance”!) was the same amount as the fare difference between D and A when I initially booked. I wouldn’t consider that an ”upgrade bargain”.

If the minimum bid is set to the same absolute amount also when the initial fare is P or Z, then it would make some sense to bid, but otherwise I don’t see the point of bidding an amount that makes the total expense the same as having booked A up front.

Furthermore, would Plusgrade look at the total airline value (eg Z + 1000 euros wins over P + 1100 euros) or only at the Plusgrade bid amount on its own...?

airoli Nov 13, 18 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Vixit (Post 30423885)
Does Plusgrade consider the original booking class when setting the minimum bid?

Yes and more specifically, segment yield.

Furthermore, would Plusgrade look at the total airline value (eg Z + 1000 euros wins over P + 1100 euros)
Yes but as mentioned, more on an effective segment yield rather than a booking class basis.

warrenw Nov 14, 18 5:56 am

My bid has been accepted - just over the minimum bid by about 100GBP. Score!

ussvalor Nov 20, 18 9:23 am

Are "LOW" Economy fares eligible for upgrades to Business Class?

watewate Dec 8, 18 4:10 pm

I bid CHF510 on GVA to JFK on a Saturday departure in November. That was the absolute lowest allowed amount. Upgrade cleared about 3 days before the flight. IIRC, 6 seats remained unspoken for and went empty on the flight.

My base fare was less than CHF 300 R/T on a K (or was it T?) fare (on sale). So I essentially went, on a one-way basis, CHF 150 with zero miles in economy to paying CHF 660 for a business class seat with ~3,800 miles posted to my *G account as per P fare. This counts as a status mile in my program, to boot.

All in all, a win-win for me and LX given the loads.

Return leg JFK-GVA was rejected at CHF 470.

jscivi Dec 26, 18 8:19 am

Status miles when bidding

Hello,
Swiss is offering the possibility to bid for an upgrade to business from Economy for a BOS-ZRH flight (starting at 550 CHF).
If I win the bid and upgrade, will I receive Status Miles as if I had bought a Business Class ticket? More particularly, what booking class will I be in? Does it depend on how much I bid?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Dlougach Dec 26, 18 8:54 am

Judging from my experience with this (3 years ago) your ticket will be reissued in P class and you will earn award/status miles corresponding to P class.

kai.lileboo Dec 29, 18 9:27 am

I don't think LX will reissue the ticket. But if your bid is accepted, they will just revalidate with the new cabin class (electronic sticker where the original ticket number stays the same.) It can be P or Z or even O, Swiss does not have the same system as LH and they often do things in their own way.
They are offering paying upgrades as the flight is probably full and they prefer doing upgrades for CHF iso for free!
The miles will be credited for the total amount spent for the ticket (original fare + YQ + what you pay for an upgrade. I would never make a bid for an upgrade myself. It is just another "trick" to get more money for already overbooked flights! But good luck!
Before I bid, if I were you, I would check the total fare K + P which is sometimes a good option if the flight is around 6 hours long and being in economy is not so bad. Hope I could answer your doubts. Xmas

AviationAddict Feb 5, 19 3:03 am

I bought my ticket via Lufthansa website, and when I cannot see any upgrade options under "Manage My Booking". Is it true that I cannot upgrade the booking with money if I do not book visa Swiss.com? Thanks in advance.

CMK10 Feb 21, 19 12:03 pm

I got an email today for a EWR-ZRH-OSL-ZRH-EWR ticket I have for March. The offer was only for EWR-ZRH and the minimum I could bid was 780 CHF. I passed, that's too much for what I consider a fairly mediocre business class product.

TheAirman May 14, 19 1:59 am

Hi there I am booked on a LX flight North America East Coast to ZRH in P class. Would it be possible to place a bid for an upgrade to First or is "dirt cheap P-class" excluded ?

Viennafly May 14, 19 6:50 am

Originally Posted by TheAirman (Post 31099169)
Hi there I am booked on a LX flight North America East Coast to ZRH in P class. Would it be possible to place a bid for an upgrade to First or is "dirt cheap P-class" excluded ?

see:
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/con...ain-conditions

6. SWISS can exclude low booking classes in the Business class compartment from an Offer (e.g. P-booking class).

Was never able to bid or received a fixed amount offer on a P-fare. On Z-fare, I sometimes received these offers. Never received an attractive offer, for NA East Coast to ZRH minimum was at least 1500$ afaik.

TheAirman May 14, 19 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Viennafly (Post 31099709)
6. SWISS can exclude low booking classes in the Business class compartment from an Offer (e.g. P-booking class).

Argh :mad:
But does "can exclude" mean they always do or there is a very slime chance ? At least currently I can't place a bid.