FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

Viennafly Mar 10, 18 8:19 am

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT (Post 29507571)
I'm flying the MUC-SFO (via ZRH) LX error fare on Swiss next Saturday in J.
I was under the assumption that the Swiss Upgrade Bargain program would apply here and I see a lot of free spots in F.
So far, I have not received any information on that, hotline told me that would work "automatically", and I don't see any option for it when I manage my booking on swiss.com.
Can anyone shed some light whether this flight does not qualify for Swiss Upgrade Bargain?
I would put an offer in but it's not worth the 70k miles for me, especially since I can tax deduct the cost of the flight, but not miles.

Not all booking classes are eligible for the Swiss Upgrade Bargain. Booking class P is not eligible. But from my experience, do not expect a bargain. For a couple of my flights (all booked in Z) the minimum bid was >2500 CHF.

goliath Mar 10, 18 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT (Post 29507571)
I'm flying the MUC-SFO (via ZRH) LX error fare on Swiss next Saturday in J.

Originally Posted by Viennafly (Post 29507708)
Not all booking classes are eligible for the Swiss Upgrade Bargain. Booking class P is not eligible.

That's exactly the problem. The MUC-SFO error fare booked in P (not in J).

YuropFlyer Mar 10, 18 9:31 am

If you keep reminding them that it's an error fare you might fly in Y ;)

Wtravel Jul 3, 18 5:20 am

It seems to me upgrade bids from C to F only make sense if you are upgrading from a market (e.g., CH) with ridiculously high fares to begin with, so pretty pointless for many markets. On my last 4 trips in each case the minimum bid was just slightly higher than if I would have simply paid the fare difference...

f4freeJunior Jul 3, 18 4:02 pm

I have never seen it cheaper than 1500 chf to/from far east. Not even when I was on a J fare.

Nick Art Jul 4, 18 5:20 am

JFK to ZRH was 960.- from J to F if I recall correctly.

f4freeJunior Jul 5, 18 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 29936680)
JFK to ZRH was 960.- from J to F if I recall correctly.

Possible, it is also a shorter flight.

bawm Jul 6, 18 11:19 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior (Post 29941913)
Possible, it is also a shorter flight.

Indeed; I've seen minimums less than CHF 900 on ZRH-BOS.

YuropFlyer Jul 6, 18 3:09 pm

Actually those flights are so short I would probably not do it on a day flight.

Wtravel Jul 11, 18 9:41 am

US West Coast doesn’t seem to go below CHF 1700/1800.

warrenw Aug 11, 18 7:59 am

I'm seeing $1,600 for an upgrade to First on a November flight to Sao Paulo. What do you think my chances of winning the bid if I bid near the minimum?? Fair bid is $2,400.

f4freeJunior Aug 31, 18 2:18 am

Some other data points:
LX138 ZRH-HKG, from Business class C, upgrade bargain min bid CHF 1560.
LX177 SIN-ZRH, from Business class D, upgrade bargain min bid CHF 1700.

warrenw Sep 16, 18 6:02 pm

I bid on ZRH-GRU and GRU-ZRH for 20GBP over the minimum price possible. Minimum was 1,200GBP. Right now on the outbound one seat is taken, return 3 seats taken. Flight is towards the end of November.

We'll see!

ermis177 Sep 17, 18 12:24 pm

So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.

mmff Sep 17, 18 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 30213782)
So minimum is 2,400GBP for a return upgrade?! You could buy a business class return with so many airlines around half of that price.

Those figures are for upgrades to F.