FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

UAPremExecflyer Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am

Right on the first page of the forum.
Not sure how you missed it? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-upgrade.html

criske Sep 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 28869539)
Right on the first page of the forum.
Not sure how you missed it? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-upgrade.html

Hello,

Perhaps I had missed it, because I first posted on LH (Miles & More) forum and then it was removed to Swiss forum, which I had not even knew!:(

I had read most of the above thread. It seems to be impossible to bid an upgrade when booking on swiss.com from Brasil and India.

I also checked it on http://www.swiss.com/gb/en/book/swis...pgrade-bargain and this information is there too: "Local legal requirements prohibit bids from Brazil and India." :confused::confused::rolleyes:

This I could not understand, since other Star Alliance airlines which use the Plusgrade system, including LH, premit the bid for upgrades (MyOffer from LH permits it, I have even used it, with success).

So, perhaps I will book again with LH! ;)

uiucsb Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am

This ~week is my first time looking to upgrade from cheap economy ticket to business via the bidding for LAX-ZRH on 3/3. 4 days ago (2/19), the cheapest USD bid option was $980. To my surprise, today it's $1100. I should have realized there would be dynamic pricing, but hadn't thought about it. I also didn't notice anyone else posting about changing prices either. So, A) public service announcement to all the newbies out there! and B) Does anyone have info on how much prices change and if they move up and down a lot? Thanks!

Nic33 Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

I have also observed that. I have tried to understand the pattern using expert flyer to determine the loads, but I could not come to any conclusive explanation. If they is some rationality in those changes, I would tend to assume the following:

- the minimum price is increased when LX believes that it will fill its C cabin and that it can hence ask for higher minimum prices to get higer offers from bidders in lesser numbers.
- the minimum price is decreased when LX wants more people to bid (I just experienced a minimum price decrease today in connection with one of my LH flights occuring in a couple of days)

flockavelliFT Mar 10, 2018 7:06 am

I'm flying the MUC-SFO (via ZRH) LX error fare on Swiss next Saturday in J.
I was under the assumption that the Swiss Upgrade Bargain program would apply here and I see a lot of free spots in F.
So far, I have not received any information on that, hotline told me that would work "automatically", and I don't see any option for it when I manage my booking on swiss.com.
Can anyone shed some light whether this flight does not qualify for Swiss Upgrade Bargain?
I would put an offer in but it's not worth the 70k miles for me, especially since I can tax deduct the cost of the flight, but not miles.

Viennafly Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT (Post 29507571)
I was under the assumption that the Swiss Upgrade Bargain program would apply here and I see a lot of free spots in F.
So far, I have not received any information on that, hotline told me that would work "automatically", and I don't see any option for it when I manage my booking on swiss.com.
Can anyone shed some light whether this flight does not qualify for Swiss Upgrade Bargain?
I would put an offer in but it's not worth the 70k miles for me, especially since I can tax deduct the cost of the flight, but not miles.

Not all booking classes are eligible for the Swiss Upgrade Bargain. Booking class P is not eligible. But from my experience, do not expect a bargain. For a couple of my flights (all booked in Z) the minimum bid was >2500 CHF.

goliath Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT (Post 29507571)

Originally Posted by Viennafly (Post 29507708)
Not all booking classes are eligible for the Swiss Upgrade Bargain. Booking class P is not eligible.

That's exactly the problem. The MUC-SFO error fare booked in P (not in J).

YuropFlyer Mar 10, 2018 9:31 am

If you keep reminding them that it's an error fare you might fly in Y ;)

Wtravel Jul 3, 2018 5:20 am

It seems to me upgrade bids from C to F only make sense if you are upgrading from a market (e.g., CH) with ridiculously high fares to begin with, so pretty pointless for many markets. On my last 4 trips in each case the minimum bid was just slightly higher than if I would have simply paid the fare difference...

f4freeJunior Jul 3, 2018 4:02 pm

I have never seen it cheaper than 1500 chf to/from far east. Not even when I was on a J fare.

Nick Art Jul 4, 2018 5:20 am

JFK to ZRH was 960.- from J to F if I recall correctly.

f4freeJunior Jul 5, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art (Post 29936680)
JFK to ZRH was 960.- from J to F if I recall correctly.

Possible, it is also a shorter flight.

bawm Jul 6, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior (Post 29941913)
Possible, it is also a shorter flight.

Indeed; I've seen minimums less than CHF 900 on ZRH-BOS.

YuropFlyer Jul 6, 2018 3:09 pm

Actually those flights are so short I would probably not do it on a day flight.

Wtravel Jul 11, 2018 9:41 am

US West Coast doesn’t seem to go below CHF 1700/1800.