SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)

Old Mar 29, 17, 10:02 am

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
I'm curious if experiences have evolved on this. I have an upcoming flight to ZRH and the minimum bid to go from coach to business is $705. The minimum "fair" chance of success bid is about $1200 (which I've gone for).

Based on expertflyer, the business class cabin has slowly been adding passengers such that now it is about 1/2 full (3.5 weeks out).

I generally bid much lower, close to the minimum bid amount, and am generally successful. One of the most important criteria is of course on the number of available seats in C.
Old Mar 29, 17, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
If I booked an "extra legroom seat" and then bid for an upgrade and win - would they refund the extra legroom fee? (I had success with that on Finnair and Sas in the past, but they had explicit rules so stating).
Actually, I contacted Swiss and here is what they replied:
Thank you for your email with regards to your query.

Have reviewed your query and would like to inform you that the extra legroom seat you have purchased, will be refunded back to you should your bid upgrade be confirmed on the flight from Zurich to Shanghai.

We Hope this email clarifies and we remain available should you need further clarifications.
Sounds like their policy is consistent with other airlines I've used.
Old Mar 30, 17, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by mmff View Post
No.
Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Sounds like their policy is consistent with other airlines I've used.
I am sorry. It seems I was completely in the wrong on this one. I'm redacting my previous comment to avoid misleading anyone.
Old Mar 31, 17, 4:22 am

Having scoured this thread, I still don't have a clear answer regarding who gets emails to upgrade and who doesn't. Flying ZRH to YUL in two days, haven't received an email, and no option to bid for upgrade on Swiss Air website. I am in class W currently.

Anyone have any insight? Also, what I am realistically looking at for a competitive upgrade bid?
Old Apr 16, 17, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Well, it worked. I awoke to a charge on my Amex and the bookings page reflects the upgrade (ahead of the 132 hour window by a bit). I'm happy and apparently they're happy.
Old Apr 29, 17, 11:15 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Vishalca View Post
Having scoured this thread, I still don't have a clear answer regarding who gets emails to upgrade and who doesn't. Flying ZRH to YUL in two days, haven't received an email, and no option to bid for upgrade on Swiss Air website. I am in class W currently.

Anyone have any insight? Also, what I am realistically looking at for a competitive upgrade bid?
Here is a data point (albeit late), I purchased a cheap economy fare (K) for my wife for YUL-FLR via ZRH, she is travelling next week. I had the upgrade bargain option on the right hand side, put a bid a bit higher than weak chance. She just got confirmed in Business for the outbound, waiting for the inbound. Was pretty happy with the process.
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
Here is a data point (albeit late), I purchased a cheap economy fare (K) for my wife for YUL-FLR via ZRH, she is travelling next week. I had the upgrade bargain option on the right hand side, put a bid a bit higher than weak chance. She just got confirmed in Business for the outbound, waiting for the inbound. Was pretty happy with the process.
Will the booking page actually say "BID" or "upgrade" or is it hidden under one of the options? My flight is in a week and am interested in what the price would be for SFO to ZRH into first from business.
Old Sep 16, 17, 8:34 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by Viennafly View Post
May I ask in which booking class you are booked and how many days/months in advance you could bid?
I would assume that for the lowest possible bids the Upgrade would only be granted if it looks like the flight is overbooked and likely upgrades would need to be made anyhow, especially from Business to First?

In another scenario, assuming you are traveling Economy and want to upgrade to Business and provide the lowest bid will the upgrade be granted even when it is sure that the cabin will not sell out?
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Victoria
Plusgrade on Swiss

Hello,

I dont't know if there is a specific thread for my question, but I did not see anything related on the first pages here, so this post can be moved to another place if does not fit here.

So, my question about plusgrade on Swiss: Is really impossible to bid for an upgrade using plusgrade ("swiss bargains") on a LX flight booked on www.swiss.com if the booking is made from Brazil, India or Japan?

I was considering to book a multy-destiny flight from GRU to Rome and then Zurich to GRU directly on Swiss web page, but while searching for Plusgrade information, to know how to bid an upgrade later, I found this information saying it would not be possible, which I think it is odd, since I can bid for upgrades on LH for flights booked from Brazil (I already did it and was sucessful) and even with other Star Alliance airlines such as TAP.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Cris
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Right on the first page of the forum.
Not sure how you missed it? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-upgrade.html
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:39 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Victoria
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Right on the first page of the forum.
Not sure how you missed it? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-upgrade.html
Hello,

Perhaps I had missed it, because I first posted on LH (Miles & More) forum and then it was removed to Swiss forum, which I had not even knew!

I had read most of the above thread. It seems to be impossible to bid an upgrade when booking on swiss.com from Brasil and India.

I also checked it on http://www.swiss.com/gb/en/book/swis...pgrade-bargain and this information is there too: "Local legal requirements prohibit bids from Brazil and India."

This I could not understand, since other Star Alliance airlines which use the Plusgrade system, including LH, premit the bid for upgrades (MyOffer from LH permits it, I have even used it, with success).

So, perhaps I will book again with LH!
Old Feb 23, 18, 10:35 am

This ~week is my first time looking to upgrade from cheap economy ticket to business via the bidding for LAX-ZRH on 3/3. 4 days ago (2/19), the cheapest USD bid option was $980. To my surprise, today it's $1100. I should have realized there would be dynamic pricing, but hadn't thought about it. I also didn't notice anyone else posting about changing prices either. So, A) public service announcement to all the newbies out there! and B) Does anyone have info on how much prices change and if they move up and down a lot? Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: LX SEN
I have also observed that. I have tried to understand the pattern using expert flyer to determine the loads, but I could not come to any conclusive explanation. If they is some rationality in those changes, I would tend to assume the following:

- the minimum price is increased when LX believes that it will fill its C cabin and that it can hence ask for higher minimum prices to get higer offers from bidders in lesser numbers.
- the minimum price is decreased when LX wants more people to bid (I just experienced a minimum price decrease today in connection with one of my LH flights occuring in a couple of days)
Old Mar 10, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott PP
I'm flying the MUC-SFO (via ZRH) LX error fare on Swiss next Saturday in J.
I was under the assumption that the Swiss Upgrade Bargain program would apply here and I see a lot of free spots in F.
So far, I have not received any information on that, hotline told me that would work "automatically", and I don't see any option for it when I manage my booking on swiss.com.
Can anyone shed some light whether this flight does not qualify for Swiss Upgrade Bargain?
I would put an offer in but it's not worth the 70k miles for me, especially since I can tax deduct the cost of the flight, but not miles.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: