FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

br2k Mar 29, 2017 10:02 am

Nic33 Mar 29, 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee (Post 28098427)
I'm curious if experiences have evolved on this. I have an upcoming flight to ZRH and the minimum bid to go from coach to business is $705. The minimum "fair" chance of success bid is about $1200 (which I've gone for).

Based on expertflyer, the business class cabin has slowly been adding passengers such that now it is about 1/2 full (3.5 weeks out).

I generally bid much lower, close to the minimum bid amount, and am generally successful. One of the most important criteria is of course on the number of available seats in C.

br2k Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 28099893)
If I booked an "extra legroom seat" and then bid for an upgrade and win - would they refund the extra legroom fee? (I had success with that on Finnair and Sas in the past, but they had explicit rules so stating).

Actually, I contacted Swiss and here is what they replied:

Thank you for your email with regards to your query.

Have reviewed your query and would like to inform you that the extra legroom seat you have purchased, will be refunded back to you should your bid upgrade be confirmed on the flight from Zurich to Shanghai.

We Hope this email clarifies and we remain available should you need further clarifications.
Sounds like their policy is consistent with other airlines I've used.

mmff Mar 30, 2017 1:29 am

Originally Posted by mmff (Post 28100616)
No.

Originally Posted by br2k (Post 28104009)
Sounds like their policy is consistent with other airlines I've used.

I am sorry. It seems I was completely in the wrong on this one. I'm redacting my previous comment to avoid misleading anyone.

Vishalca Mar 31, 2017 4:22 am

Having scoured this thread, I still don't have a clear answer regarding who gets emails to upgrade and who doesn't. Flying ZRH to YUL in two days, haven't received an email, and no option to bid for upgrade on Swiss Air website. I am in class W currently.

Anyone have any insight? Also, what I am realistically looking at for a competitive upgrade bid?

Yahtzee Apr 16, 2017 7:23 am

Well, it worked. I awoke to a charge on my Amex and the bookings page reflects the upgrade (ahead of the 132 hour window by a bit). I'm happy and apparently they're happy.

brentford77 Apr 27, 2017 5:56 am

Swiss upgrade bid pricing

i have no previous experience of this. Can anyone advise what might be an appropriate bid for a Y>J upgrade Zurich to LA on May 12?

brentford77 Apr 27, 2017 6:05 am

Swiss upgrade bid pricing

I have no previous experience of this. Can anyone advise what might be an appropriate bid for a Y>J upgrade Zurich to LA on May 12?

Air Rarotonga Apr 27, 2017 6:57 am

Here is the link of the master thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swis...e-upgrade.html

brentford77 Apr 27, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks. Not surprised re if it's due to iPhone limitations but I can't find any comments referencing pricing?

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga (Post 28235917)
Here is the link of the master thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swis...e-upgrade.html

Nic33 Apr 27, 2017 7:32 am

At this stage, it does not look like the C cabin is full. You should be able to bid succesfully close to minimum if the cabin does not fill up until then.

Admiral Ackbar Apr 29, 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Vishalca (Post 28110266)
Having scoured this thread, I still don't have a clear answer regarding who gets emails to upgrade and who doesn't. Flying ZRH to YUL in two days, haven't received an email, and no option to bid for upgrade on Swiss Air website. I am in class W currently.

Anyone have any insight? Also, what I am realistically looking at for a competitive upgrade bid?

Here is a data point (albeit late), I purchased a cheap economy fare (K) for my wife for YUL-FLR via ZRH, she is travelling next week. I had the upgrade bargain option on the right hand side, put a bid a bit higher than weak chance. She just got confirmed in Business for the outbound, waiting for the inbound. Was pretty happy with the process.

legallyblond Sep 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar (Post 28245193)
Here is a data point (albeit late), I purchased a cheap economy fare (K) for my wife for YUL-FLR via ZRH, she is travelling next week. I had the upgrade bargain option on the right hand side, put a bid a bit higher than weak chance. She just got confirmed in Business for the outbound, waiting for the inbound. Was pretty happy with the process.

Will the booking page actually say "BID" or "upgrade" or is it hidden under one of the options? My flight is in a week and am interested in what the price would be for SFO to ZRH into first from business.

LXA350 Sep 16, 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Viennafly (Post 26914916)
May I ask in which booking class you are booked and how many days/months in advance you could bid?

I would assume that for the lowest possible bids the Upgrade would only be granted if it looks like the flight is overbooked and likely upgrades would need to be made anyhow, especially from Business to First?

In another scenario, assuming you are traveling Economy and want to upgrade to Business and provide the lowest bid will the upgrade be granted even when it is sure that the cabin will not sell out?

criske Sep 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Plusgrade on Swiss

Hello,

I dont't know if there is a specific thread for my question, but I did not see anything related on the first pages here, so this post can be moved to another place if does not fit here.

So, my question about plusgrade on Swiss: Is really impossible to bid for an upgrade using plusgrade ("swiss bargains") on a LX flight booked on www.swiss.com if the booking is made from Brazil, India or Japan?

I was considering to book a multy-destiny flight from GRU to Rome and then Zurich to GRU directly on Swiss web page, but while searching for Plusgrade information, to know how to bid an upgrade later, I found this information saying it would not be possible, which I think it is odd, since I can bid for upgrades on LH for flights booked from Brazil (I already did it and was sucessful) and even with other Star Alliance airlines such as TAP.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Cris