SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)

Old Jul 14, 16, 6:19 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
Did not notice the information here that F is also available on bidding now. Just surprisingly saw in my booking overview that I have the possibility to bid on one of my upcoming flight tickets for all segments.

Interestingly: It is a 4 segment ticket (all long hauls) and I can place a bid for each segment. In fact if I would place the minimum bid on the two shorter segments I would already pay more than the fare difference for the whole 4 segments. So to me it makes totally no sense. I would rather call my travel agent and just upsell the whole ticket.
May I ask in which booking class you are booked and how many days/months in advance you could bid?
Old Jul 14, 16, 6:28 am

Programs: LX SEN
I also found the 'Swiss Upgrade Bargain' option for one of my bookings (JNB-ZRH in October). Minimum bid is 2720 CHF (max. is >8000). Availability is F0A0 though with 6/8 seats reserved.
Old Jul 15, 16, 7:49 am
mbr

Programs: LX HON, SK Diamond, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Originally Posted by Viennafly View Post
May I ask in which booking class you are booked and how many days/months in advance you could bid?
Booked in D (outbound) and C (inbound). The first flight is booked in early September.
Old Jul 21, 16, 6:02 am

I have flights booked in C to Singapore in January. Manage my booking does not show the upgrade option. Does this become available at a later date or are some flights excluded. Anyone know this please
Old Aug 2, 16, 11:00 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
We have a flight booked in October to Asia and it does not show as being available to bid on yet, if that helps..
Old Aug 4, 16, 6:44 am

It is now visable in my booking. Bids start at 2590 Euro's per person for segment Zurich - Singapore.....
Old Aug 4, 16, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
The F upgrade bid program is an attempt by LX to boost revenue in F cabin, which is starting to show lack of high level of occupation especially on North America flights
Then why didn't they allow me to bid up to F on my recent North American flights! I did check and the button was not there.

(Probably because I paid so little for these P class flights anyway!! Or maybe P is excluded from bidding)
Old Aug 11, 16, 12:36 pm

Programs: Miles&More ; A3*G
I will fly Swiss from GRU to ZRH in few weeks, early september.
Booked Business Z, I can see I am allowed to bid for 'Swiss Upgrade Bargain' to SWISS First.

Bids start at 1990 Euro's (low chance), 2670 (equal chance), 3410 (good chance), 4170 (optimal chance), 5170 (excellent chance) to 5970.

No... I'll not bid
Old Aug 18, 16, 6:32 am
mbr

Programs: LX HON, SK Diamond, AF Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
I wonder whether anyone would be stupid enough to bid for such prices. Even the lowest bid's are usually almost in the range of a fare difference, at least if the Biz ticket you buy was not a P fare.
Old Aug 18, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Probably because I paid so little for these P class flights anyway!! Or maybe P is excluded from bidding
Originally Posted by mbr View Post
I wonder whether anyone would be stupid enough to bid for such prices. Even the lowest bid's are usually almost in the range of a fare difference, at least if the Biz ticket you buy was not a P fare.
Somebody at Vielfliegertreff recently posted that they were told by LX in writing that P was indeed excluded.
Old Sep 16, 16, 4:15 am

Programs: Virtuoso,RitzStars,Belmond Bellini,Dorchester Diamond,Starwood Luxury,FSPP, Pen Club, Rosewood Elite
Ok,so I originally purchased a discounted ORD-ZRH economy fare ($740, RT) for a flight next week. The email to bid came in a few days ago. My bid of 940CHF was in the "poor" chance of upgrade category. That said, I was notified less than 12 hours after bidding that I was upgraded. Sure beats the $3600 change of date difference for that segment.

Last edited by Fitstylist5; Sep 16, 16 at 4:20 am
Old Sep 16, 16, 11:34 am

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
Originally Posted by goliath View Post
Somebody at Vielfliegertreff recently posted that they were told by LX in writing that P was indeed excluded.

I was also told by the LX call center agent just a few days ago that P was indeed excluded. Would be easier if they went and put that reasonably accessible small print.
Old Mar 28, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Originally Posted by wanderer35 View Post
A little bidding strategy.
A lot of people submit the minimum bid, just as you and your co-conspirators did.
If you submit a bid with the smallest possible delta (the size of which is usually determined by the slider) above the minimum you are ahead of, probably, most of the bidders. I do not think the selection software is too sophisticated, all it knows that you bid more than the others.
The amount of the minimum bid is quite high, about $855. If I recall correctly the minimum bid was definitely less than $500 on Austrian (JFK-VIE) when I successfully bid a couple of years ago, or so.
Ooops, I just noticed that the min bid of 850 was for a flight to Brazil. For that route it is probably a reasonable amount.
I'm curious if experiences have evolved on this. I have an upcoming flight to ZRH and the minimum bid to go from coach to business is $705. The minimum "fair" chance of success bid is about $1200 (which I've gone for).

Based on expertflyer, the business class cabin has slowly been adding passengers such that now it is about 1/2 full (3.5 weeks out).

I think that explains why the bid range hasn't changed, but does it ever change? Does the minimum fair chance bid ever fall as departure nears? Or do they just peg them and rest?

Anyone have success on "fair" bids going through?
Old Mar 28, 17, 8:41 pm

If I booked an "extra legroom seat" and then bid for an upgrade and win - would they refund the extra legroom fee? (I had success with that on Finnair and Sas in the past, but they had explicit rules so stating).
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
If I booked an "extra legroom seat" and then bid for an upgrade and win - would they refund the extra legroom fee?
Yes.

Last edited by mmff; Mar 30, 17 at 1:30 am Reason: Redacted

Search this Thread
Search Engine: