FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

Air Rarotonga Jan 16, 16 10:29 am

Originally Posted by LH_001 (Post 26022508)
Hi everyone!

This morning I received an bidding for upgrade invitation via e-mail. Me and my +1 are flying in 10 days to GRU and the lowest offer you can chose was 850CHF!!! R they completely nuts in LX?

Why? That would be a very good price for an upgrade on this route! If it's too much for you, fly in the class you bought your ticket!

LH_001 Jan 16, 16 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga (Post 26028175)
Why? That would be a very good price for an upgrade on this route! If it's too much for you, fly in the class you bought your ticket!

Before u start giving your "clever advices" read first: I said "THE LOWEST POSSIBLE OFFER was 850CHF". That means as well: NO CHANCE FOR AN UPGRADE. 850CHF as the final price is great for the boutique LCC in biz, but unfortunately they don't offer it for that price.

duvin Jan 17, 16 2:37 am

Originally Posted by LH_001 (Post 26029073)
Before u start giving your "clever advices" read first: I said "THE LOWEST POSSIBLE OFFER was 850CHF". That means as well: NO CHANCE FOR AN UPGRADE. 850CHF as the final price is great for the boutique LCC in biz, but unfortunately they don't offer it for that price.

No it doesn't mean that there is no chance for an upgrade. You may offer what you want, the amounts seem very reasonable when compared to business class ticket prices people actually pay.

YuropFlyer Jan 17, 16 3:12 am

Originally Posted by duvin (Post 26031156)
No it doesn't mean that there is no chance for an upgrade. You may offer what you want, the amounts seem very reasonable when compared to business class ticket prices people actually pay.

It's always about demand and supply.

If one wants, you can fly from ZRH to GRU for less than 2000 CHF in Business class. Via Madrid. Or starting in GVA. Or with a long layover. On other routes which sometimes can't be had for below 4000 CHF during high season, they'll throw it after you for <2k in low season. Or the good old trick on checking when are which holidays start/end (almost guaranteed OpUp from Y to C on airlines that run those according to status when you hold some and not like LX, where they'll try to sell upgrades when they've to, instead of thinking of their elites...)

This said, if you got a decent offer for ZRH-GRU direct on Swiss (I would consider everything below 600 CHF as decent, considering low oil) then 1700 CHF on top will make it 2300 CHF totally RT, earning P miles (afaik) - which is definitely a good price. But considering this is the starting offer, it might very well not work out (obviously NOT working out on this flight here, but generally spoken) - and if you calculate in just, say, 1200 CHF for the bid (RT 2400 CHF), making it 3000 CHF totally. For which you can fly Business class without any tricks pretty easily guaranteed (still maybe not on the direct flight as LX likes to squeeze their monopoly)

LH_001 Jan 17, 16 3:17 am

Originally Posted by duvin (Post 26031156)

Sure, I can offer the lowest amount of 850CHF, as I did already on my to HKG and got rejected. Some of my colleagues from the company I work in did the same:took the lowest possible offer and got rejected aus well. Dunno about other users around the world but it seems to me, that LX never takes such low offers.

kooks Jan 17, 16 6:28 am

just my 2cents here... ;)

but if you if you start your journey in BRU...

BRU - GRU (via ZRH) rt in P class is 2000 euros..... :cool:

(where the A class is 7000 euros.... in case)

duvin Jan 18, 16 2:07 am

Originally Posted by LH_001 (Post 26031231)
Sure, I can offer the lowest amount of 850CHF, as I did already on my to HKG and got rejected. Some of my colleagues from the company I work in did the same:took the lowest possible offer and got rejected aus well. Dunno about other users around the world but it seems to me, that LX never takes such low offers.

I don't think its that LX refuses your offer, but that other passengers have outbid you.

laoshu Jan 19, 16 9:01 pm

Yield Management...

It's called YIELD Management... Example:LX has 2 seats to upgrade, 4 people offer CHF 850, 2 Offer CHF 900

Guess who gets the Seat..

cheers and happy flying !

Giamasetti Jan 26, 16 6:00 am

On the route FLR-ZRH-GRU (flight on 6 nov, if i remember well) I too was offered a paid upgrade by email for the outgoing flight; price range was from CHF 850 ("weak chance") to CHF 3'250 ("excellent chance").
I didn't bid.
A round trip ticket in business cost 2150€, so I found that offer was not suitable as, adding at least 850 CHF (770€ more or less) to my economy ticket paid about 800€, it would have ended at about 1570€ for outgoing in business and return in economy...

jawnbc Feb 2, 16 10:50 pm

Am a bit annoyed that I've not received an invite to bid. LH allows me to log on and see if my fare is one that allows a bid.

LX has my email address, since I had to ring them to pre-reserve seats in Y. Ticket's on LH stock because the aggregated LH/LX/OS sales office here in NZ pushes LH as the validating carrier unless there are no longhaul LH segments on the itinerary. Would've hoped that being *G meant something with LX.

duvin Feb 3, 16 1:30 am

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 26124821)
Would've hoped that being *G meant something with LX.

That there is more money to be squeezed from you using this upgrade bidding system?

livious Feb 5, 16 5:18 am

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 26124821)
Am a bit annoyed that I've not received an invite to bid. LH allows me to log on and see if my fare is one that allows a bid.

I don't think it has anything to do with being *G. With that being said, my wife (SK *G) declined her opportunity to bid and ended up being op-upped to C class, where I assume *G factored in. Given the costs associated with a successful bid, I don't think you are missing out a golden opportunity.

jawnbc Feb 5, 16 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by duvin (Post 26125178)
That there is more money to be squeezed from you using this upgrade bidding system?

Well...strictly speaking, my employer has paid so far. So I'm willing to pay out of pocket for an upgrade when it's good value to do so.

wanderer35 Mar 9, 16 7:59 pm

A little bidding strategy.
A lot of people submit the minimum bid, just as you and your co-conspirators did.
If you submit a bid with the smallest possible delta (the size of which is usually determined by the slider) above the minimum you are ahead of, probably, most of the bidders. I do not think the selection software is too sophisticated, all it knows that you bid more than the others.
The amount of the minimum bid is quite high, about $855. If I recall correctly the minimum bid was definitely less than $500 on Austrian (JFK-VIE) when I successfully bid a couple of years ago, or so.
Ooops, I just noticed that the min bid of 850 was for a flight to Brazil. For that route it is probably a reasonable amount.

On a slightly different aspect of the topic, I have paid economy tickets JFK-ZRH for mid-April, bought on swiss.com and I did not get an invitation to upgrade.

(Promise: no more edits ...)

JanoSicek Apr 3, 16 3:03 am

I have booked a ticket using a travel agent and of course, there was no button to bid on the booking. Until today -- 14 days before the departure, when the email landed in my inbox. Immediately bid 200 above minimum.