Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
FLR to GVA

Paid upgrade offer was 100 CHF. I bid the lowest, 70 CHF each for two people, and it was accepted.

The flight ended up full in Y so it was nice having the extra space.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zmicer88
Paid upgrade offer was CHF 790.

Bids started at 300. I placed a bid of 410 (now I regret it - should have placed a bid of 310 :-))

There were 9 Business class seats for sale at the time of placing my bid.

I am NH Platinum (SA Gold) through a recent status match.

The first leg of my trip was M class which I upgraded to business with 25k UA miles. The second leg is in W so not upgradable with any SA carriers outside M&M programme.

Not sure at this stage what mileage I collect from these shenanigans
wow, nice score for 410 CHF!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
As an update. I bid 1500 CHF from Zurich to Newark. Offer was declined. At check in asked the upgrade price and was told there were 2 seats occupied and 6 seats open in First. I asked the price to upgrade and was quoted 1790 Euros, I then said ok I will upgrade but the agent told me there were no window seats available which I found odd. She said the remaining seats were being "held". I declined the offer and just stuck to my seat in C class. I am surprised they did not accept my bid for 1500, I guess they would rather have empty seats up front.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
As an update. I bid 1500 CHF from Zurich to Newark. Offer was declined. At check in asked the upgrade price and was told there were 2 seats occupied and 6 seats open in First. I asked the price to upgrade and was quoted 1790 Euros, I then said ok I will upgrade but the agent told me there were no window seats available which I found odd. She said the remaining seats were being "held". I declined the offer and just stuck to my seat in C class. I am surprised they did not accept my bid for 1500, I guess they would rather have empty seats up front.
if there are 6 open seats then there are 2 window seats min. At check-in they should all be 'open' for assignment. This is strange. Also, you got that quoted in EUR? In ZRH? Odd.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
I agree the whole thing was weird. I almost feel like they didn’t want me to upgrade to first class. Yes and she said euros I specifically asked if they were Swiss francs and she said no it’s euros.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:22 pm

Wow, talk about terrible IT (maybe combined with terrible customer service—I don’t want to make that leap since I wasn’t there) costing a company 1790 euros of almost pure profit in one second.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
im checking with Lufty and will get back to you on what they tell me about my miles
Ok so I got credited about 6000 more status miles by Luthansa, they didn't quantify it, just added it as a 'mileage adjustment'.

I checked with them for clarification to see what those miles mean exactly and does it include the bonuses.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: OZ - Diamond Plus (SA Gold)
I have the option of Y to C upgrade bid from ZRH - NRT. The fixed price bid is 670CHF for now (they seem to only offer fixed price bid for Japan flight). I cannot increase or decrease the price as it is just set at that price. If cleared, do you think this is a good deal?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by tklee999
I have the option of Y to C upgrade bid from ZRH - NRT. The fixed price bid is 670CHF for now (they seem to only offer fixed price bid for Japan flight). I cannot increase or decrease the price as it is just set at that price. If cleared, do you think this is a good deal?
yes for such a long flight definitely.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tklee999
nobrainer. Go for it.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:51 am

Same offer as you.

Originally Posted by FreqTrav27
I did the exact same as you, 2 seats from J to F for 1500 CHF each for ZRH-JFK. 4 open seats at check in. Rejected. At the airport I asked what the buy-up offer was and they quoted 1790 CHF (not Euros but I might be mistaken). I accepted the buy up since my wife wanted to try F on Swiss. It was nice but not sure I would do it again.

Flight went full in F.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
If I booked LX as a UA codeshare, could I still bid for an upgrade? or be offered one at check in?
On the website, it keeps giving me an error when trying to bid.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:07 pm

LX54

Scheduled on LX54 next week ZRH to BOS. I was going to try a Bid Upgrade and last week had looked and there still appeared to be plenty of seats for sale. Tonight went on and am still able to place a Bid Upgrade to J but on Expert Flyer the flight inventory is completely zeroed out for our flight and date. Thoughts? Should I be concerned the flight is destined for cancellation? Or is it really just a fully sold out flight even though ever other ZRH to BOS flight appears to have plenty of inventory?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of fully booked TATL flights these days.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AHC96
If I booked LX as a UA codeshare, could I still bid for an upgrade? or be offered one at check in?
On the website, it keeps giving me an error when trying to bid.
You need an LX flight number for that. UA might covert that for you; call and tell them you want to upgrade and see if they do the flight number convention. At the airport it will work regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.