FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1666260-swiss-upgrade-bargain-bid-email-invite-upgrade.html)

AviationAddict Feb 5, 2019 3:03 am

I bought my ticket via Lufthansa website, and when I cannot see any upgrade options under "Manage My Booking". Is it true that I cannot upgrade the booking with money if I do not book visa Swiss.com? Thanks in advance.

CMK10 Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm

I got an email today for a EWR-ZRH-OSL-ZRH-EWR ticket I have for March. The offer was only for EWR-ZRH and the minimum I could bid was 780 CHF. I passed, that's too much for what I consider a fairly mediocre business class product.

TheAirman May 14, 2019 1:59 am

Hi there I am booked on a LX flight North America East Coast to ZRH in P class. Would it be possible to place a bid for an upgrade to First or is "dirt cheap P-class" excluded ?

Viennafly May 14, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by TheAirman (Post 31099169)
Hi there I am booked on a LX flight North America East Coast to ZRH in P class. Would it be possible to place a bid for an upgrade to First or is "dirt cheap P-class" excluded ?

see:
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/con...ain-conditions

6. SWISS can exclude low booking classes in the Business class compartment from an Offer (e.g. P-booking class).

Was never able to bid or received a fixed amount offer on a P-fare. On Z-fare, I sometimes received these offers. Never received an attractive offer, for NA East Coast to ZRH minimum was at least 1500$ afaik.

TheAirman May 14, 2019 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Viennafly (Post 31099709)
6. SWISS can exclude low booking classes in the Business class compartment from an Offer (e.g. P-booking class).

Argh :mad:
But does "can exclude" mean they always do or there is a very slime chance ? At least currently I can't place a bid.

MacMyDay Jun 2, 2019 1:11 am

https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/book/swi...pgrade-bargain it mentions

A fixed bid is possible for flights from and to Japan.
I cannot seem to find a data point for what to expect from J to F and whether it's just going to be the difference between the original tickets or a "realistic" figure. Does anyone have any experience? We are flying to NRT on the 19th June

Vixit Jun 3, 2019 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Dlougach (Post 30575083)
Judging from my experience with this (3 years ago) your ticket will be reissued in P class and you will earn award/status miles corresponding to P class.

Reading the Bid Upgrade FAQ page on Swiss website this morning, it says that Award miles will be credited to the higher booking class, but Status miles will not. This makes it less interesting to me.

I believe that on Lufthansa both categories of miles are adjusted upwards.

ced_lx Jun 3, 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 31161886)
https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/book/swi...pgrade-bargain it mentions

I cannot seem to find a data point for what to expect from J to F and whether it's just going to be the difference between the original tickets or a "realistic" figure. Does anyone have any experience? We are flying to NRT on the 19th June

Last time I flew in 2018, the bid upgrade would not let me select a price, it was a set amount (I forget the amount) so I think that's what they mean. If a fixed bid is possible you would see it on your profile booking. This was J to F in my case. I forget the actual amount but it wasn't to far off the actual fare difference. something like 2900 CAD.

MacMyDay Jun 3, 2019 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ced_lx (Post 31165470)
Last time I flew in 2018, the bid upgrade would not let me select a price, it was a set amount (I forget the amount) so I think that's what they mean. If a fixed bid is possible you would see it on your profile booking. This was J to F in my case. I forget the actual amount but it wasn't to far off the actual fare difference. something like 2900 CAD.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for and suspected.

testycal Jun 9, 2019 12:47 pm

Purchased economy ticket TLV Tokyo El Al codeshare to Zur then Swiss to Tokyo. Online upgrade price shown as $900 USD each way Zur to Tokyo in addition to ticket price paid $647 USD return so grand total around 2447. New ticket same day shows $2000 business class ticket for Tlv to Tokyo. Post purchase upgrade more expensive or is there another way to navigate a paid upgrade? Tickets purchased 2 weeks ago but I do not recall what business class price was at that time.

ermis177 Jun 9, 2019 4:43 pm

Many airlines ( including LH group) do not offer attractive upgrades. Only Y to PE is usually good value. Most of the others are mostly more expensive than buying a C return ticket. Recently i was quoted about 2.000£ to upgrade from PE to C with Air Canada!

phoxay Jul 17, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm not sure how much I should put in the bid, I added a minimum like 440 CHF for Narita to Zurich long haul flight.
how likely it will be confirmed to get a upgrade from T class to P class?
I guess T class is eco flex?

Nick Art Jul 19, 2019 4:06 am

I wasn't aware you could bid as low as 440 CHF, I alwawys thought the minimum was around 800 CHF.
But Booking class doesn't tell you if you're flex or not, most booking classes have the sub option of light, classic and flex, with the higher ones only offering classic or only flex. T is at the very low end of the booking classes anyway so with a bid of 440 CHF on a premium heavy route like NRT I don't see many chances.
It would help if you could include the actual number you bid and date of the flight.

bennyg2 Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm

I was just quoted $2,400 CAD per person at the gate by a Swiss Agent to go from C to F.

We’ll see what they say on the plane.

YUL to ZRH

testycal Aug 6, 2019 8:54 am

When playing the bid game as swiss holds all the cards ie you commit to their price and wait and can be rejected or accepted based on its terms...any point in waiting to place a bid until close to departure? If flight will fill closer to departure there seems to be little point to committing to purchase IF accepted. Thoughts?