Search

Overnight at ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:15 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by holocker
It looks like both flights in the schedule are operated by the A330- Is that the usual?
Yes. But aircraft often get changed to A321s on this route.
My fault. I checked LX 253 on 29th and not the 28th, where it indeed is an A330.

As for hotels, I can't really help you, I never had to stay in any hotel in Zurich, but I'm not convinced you should opt for one of the chain hotels.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:22 pm

For Marriott hotels: the Marriott is the easiest to get to because it's right at the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), which you get to via a 10-minute train ride from the airport. The next easiest is the Renaissance, which requires making a connection to a different train either at the main station or at Oerlikon. It's one train stop away from the main station / town center, which is a 2 minute train ride or 20 minute walk. The Four Points is the farthest from the town center but is right next to a shopping center and some food options, called Sihlcity.

Personally I will generally prefer to stay at the Marriott unless the prices are too high, in which case I go to the Renaissance.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:41 pm
Suspended

I have 2 options for a Swiss flight from TLV-ZRH-LAX-SAN using United Miles for Business Class:
One leaving Nov 29 at 5:20 AM arriving in ZRH at 8:40 AM with a 4.5 hour layover.Leaving Zurich at 1:10 PM. Disadvantage is early flight time means leaving Jerusalem at probably 2:00 AM.
Other option is leaving TLV at 4:00 PM on Nov 28 at 4:00 PM arriving in Zurich at 7:20 PM and leaving at 1:10 PM next day.
I have never been to Zurich and no plans in the near future otherwise.

A couple of questions if I decide on the overnight:
1) Can I check my luggage thru all the way without picking it up in Zurich and rechecking?
2) Do US citizens need a Visa?
3) Is it worth spending the evening in the city? Any sights to see in that short time?
4) Hotel recommendations at the airport and near where train drops you off in the city- Preferably Marriott, Hilton, IHG where I have points- How long is the train ride to the city?
5) Would I need a heavy winter jacket that time of year?
6) What time would I need to be back at the airport?
7) Does the train to/from the airport go directly to the terminal or does it involve a bus connection? Does it run frequently?

If I decide to just do the thru flight is there anything to do for the 4+ hours besides sitting in the lounge?
You WILL have to claim and keep your checked bags if your connection is <10 hours! The LH group of carriers have put this into place. I had it happen to me on SN via BRU, and a couple of months ago on LX connecting to UA the next day. Was told both times that nags will Only be held if the layover is < 10 hrs

I usually stay at The Radisson Blu which is in airport and a 5 min walk from the arrival term. You can simply walk across the road into the building where the train station is and walk to the hotel indoors as well, just follow the signs its to the Left

Trains run like crazy and its maybe 10 mins once it goes till youre at the main station. However some trains pull into the upstairs portion while the S trains go downstairs which means a much longer walk till you get outside

Winter time can be very cold and if you will have to schelp your bags it wont be fun. I suggest staying at The Rad and you can always get up early and go into the city if you decide to. All the other airport hotels require a shuttle ride some are free both ways, some charge just to the airport while some charge both ways
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:15 am

Sorry but that’s wrong. Both regarding luggage being held overnight (no problem as long as it’s less than 24hrs) as well as the hotel. Well. For the second one it’s obviously just an opinion but it seems everyone but you prefer a city hotel. With an early evening arrival and mid day departure I would strongly suggest to stay in the city. The radisson blu is convenient indeed, but for such a long layover Staying in the city will simply make more sense. An evening at an airport hotel? Doesn’t sound like much fun to me, when the alternative would be to explore ZRH downtown instead.

there might be cities where heading into „downtown“ would be more tricky on such layover, but in ZRH it’s literally a no brainier to me.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I just called Swiss today and was told that I would need to claim and recheck my luggage on an overnight connection. If that is true the idea of taking the train into the city with 2 large pieces of luggage does not look so great.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:26 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I just called Swiss today and was told that I would need to claim and recheck my luggage on an overnight connection. If that is true the idea of taking the train into the city with 2 large pieces of luggage does not look so great.
According to this page on swiss.com you can drop off your luggage at ZRH (and GVA) from 23 hours before departure. There's no need to take two large pieces of luggage on the train.

https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/...the-day-before

If you check-in on the previous day, you can check in your baggage up to 23 hours before departure for flights operated by SWISS and Edelweiss from Zurich and Geneva airports. Take advantage of the benefits of online check-in, and have your boarding pass sent to your smartphone or emailed to you to print it out yourself. Plan to check in your baggage at a quieter check-in time. Then, on the day when you travel, you can go straight to the departure gate without your baggage and without time pressure.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:38 pm

Whoever you talked to clearly has no clue. Unfortunately, the Swiss callcenters, being mostly based somewhere on the opposite side of the world, are in average less informed than this forum The SEN hotline is still reasonable quality on average (with the occassional great experience STILL in), but for the "normal" customer, you'll really be answered somewhere in South Africa or Fiji...

Checking luggage through overnight in ZRH does work. I've done it before (quite some ZRH-based members here take advantage of flying off cheaper airports nearby, like ZRH, but stay overnight at home when doing so)
Nick Art likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Sorry but that’s wrong. Both regarding luggage being held overnight (no problem as long as it’s less than 24hrs) as well as the hotel. Well. For the second one it’s obviously just an opinion but it seems everyone but you prefer a city hotel. With an early evening arrival and mid day departure I would strongly suggest to stay in the city. The radisson blu is convenient indeed, but for such a long layover Staying in the city will simply make more sense. An evening at an airport hotel? Doesn’t sound like much fun to me, when the alternative would be to explore ZRH downtown instead.

there might be cities where heading into „downtown“ would be more tricky on such layover, but in ZRH it’s literally a no brainier to me.
back in April I was denied check thru bags arrived into ZRH @ 19:15 and departed next morn , reason it was > then 10 hours. It USED to be <24 but that has changed AFAIK for the entire LH group.

Had the same problem with SN back in Oct 18 and thought it was only with SN

When is the last time you did an overnight that was > 10 hrs and they held you didnt have to claim your bags?

Also with the link above about rechecking the bags once you claim them thats good as long as your continuing on Swiss or Edel seems anyone else no rechecking

Also a person can always stay at The Rad checkin drop their bags and head into the city for a few hours at night or early the next morn if they so want.Id rater be in the city w/o any kind of bags , unless the hotel is directly across the street from the HB, but thats me
altabello likes this.

Last edited by craz; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
If anyone is flying Swiss in the near future and checking bags would they mind asking the agent the policy?
Alos at ZRH does it usually take a long time to go thru passport control?
Thanks

If I have to claim bags and recheck the next day would not do the overnight connection.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
We have longhaul flights into ZRH on TG to stay with friends for a few weeks. Then have a 3 nite trip to Rome with LX flights ZRH-FCO-ZRH (overnight in ZRH), then 4 nites ZRH-AGP-ZRH (overnight ZRH), then ZRH-BKK on TG again.

The LX flights are separate tickets. So I decided to build in the overnights in ZRH to de-risk flight delays. Since we will have stayed already in Zurich, we just want to stay near the airport. As Accor Gold, we selected the Novotel Messe for around €75 a night. We will just ‘chill’

We will drop large bags into storage whilst we zip over to Rome. Can someone please confirm that the only Left Luggage facility is at teh train station and not the airport? Or is it one and the same?

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:59 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:50 am

There is a manned luggage store from the airport and the blue boxes at the railway station. Surprisingly for Switzerland the manned station isn’t always the worse option than the blue automated boxes.

https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/pas...epaeck-service
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by craz
When is the last time you did an overnight that was > 10 hrs and they held you didnt have to claim your bags?
I had last week an overnight (around 17h) AAA-ZRH-NRT and it was no problem to check the luggage through.
All on 1 ticket.
I only know that the 10h rule is enforced at US airports. (maybe also flights to US?)
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
I had last week an overnight (around 17h) AAA-ZRH-NRT and it was no problem to check the luggage through.
All on 1 ticket.
I only know that the 10h rule is enforced at US airports. (maybe also flights to US?)
I used to never have a problem when heading back to NY, that includes LX to ZRH and UA to EWR. But as Ive posted back in Oct SN refused to hold my bags since it was gonna be > 10 hrs, it was SN to BRU & UA to EWR. And back in April it was LX to ZRH and UA to EWR and again was told they wouldnt hold and transfer my bags since it was > 10 hrs. Both of these tkts were 1 tkt, 1 PNR. Was told all LH Group members wont hold and transfer a bag/s if the layover is > 10 hrs

Ive never over nighted on my Outbound , only when Inbounding back to The US, so maybe its as you said it only applys when heading to The US, or when youre heading to The US and theres a change of carriers. Its not really a big deal except had I known I wouldnt have booked a hotel that wasnt in airport, alot easier with bags to simply walk the 5 mins to The Radisson, which can be done using the free baggage carts to boot
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL
overnight in city or ZRH?

Flying ZRH-AMS-United States (this is the return). ZRH-AMS flight leaves 7am, which would require leaving the place I'm staying at around 3am (assuming I want to be at the airport 2hrs prior to the Schengen flight, is that enough? I'm checking a bag). Staying at the airport or nearby would let me sleep a bit longer and cause less stress/worry about getting to the airport in time. I'm looking for a clean bed to sleep in, not a luxury accommodation, as I would only spend a few hours overnight there, and probably have to leave long before breakfast. Budget is of concern. Are there reasonable, convenient places within walking distance of ZRH? Should they have airport shuttle? Or should I plan on riding a train/subway/bus to the airport? Would it be cheaper and more entertaining to stay downtown-ish? If staying at the airport, I probably would spend the late afternoon/evening in downtown before returning to my room around 10pm. Any must-see attractions close to the train station? Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:09 pm

The Radisson is IN the airport. You can't get closer than that. It is not "budget" but you may find a good deal.

Shuly (there now)
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.