Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK schedule change led me to an experiment...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Sorry to revive a very old thread but did the ZRH to BKK schedule change? I recall seeing LX depart BKK at 1pm local time. I tried to dummy booking for April 2022 and it shows a departure of 11:30pm instead. Will that be a permanent change?
My ZRH BKK flight in August 2021 has just been changed: from 22:40 (arrival 14:20 next day) to departure 13:10 and arrival in BKK at 4:50 next day in the morning.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BinSabai
thanks!
are the cheap fares for
ZRH BKK ZRH or BKK ZRH BKK
for this route only or with additional leg
Sorry for the late response. None from ZRh has to be an additional leg, try AMS or CDG. Also XXX-ZRH-SIN
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Apr 29, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by andywaw
My ZRH BKK flight in August 2021 has just been changed: from 22:40 (arrival 14:20 next day) to departure 13:10 and arrival in BKK at 4:50 next day in the morning.
that's the current schedule yes, since Europe changed to Summertime...must be a pretty old reservation....
Old May 3, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Nothing unusual with such departure times. In the past almost all TG flights from Europe to BKK were based on early afternoon departures from Europe and early morning arrivals into BKK. As I recall it pre-Covid LX would depart for BKK late afternoon and arrive BKK in the morning (around 7 or 8 AM) and return to ZRH a couple of hours later/before noon.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
As I recall it pre-Covid LX would depart for BKK late afternoon and arrive BKK in the morning (around 7 or 8 AM) and return to ZRH a couple of hours later/before noon.
To be exact: Pre-Covid (July 2019) LX ZRH-BKK departed 17:15 and arrived in BKK at 9:15 am. BKK to ZRH departed at 13:05.

To me, 4:50 am arrival vs 9:50 am arrival at the final destination makes a big difference.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

To me, 4:50 am arrival vs 9:50 am arrival at the final destination makes a big difference.
I agree. I makes a difference also to me, but my point was that there is nothing unusual in those afternoon flights to BKK. Actually late evening departures to BKK are not common I believe.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:53 am

To be exact: Pre-Covid (July 2019) LX ZRH-BKK departed 17:15 and arrived in BKK at 9:15 am. BKK to ZRH departed at 13:05.

in my record it was actually 17:55 and 09:35 during Europen Summertime and 18:00 and 10:35 during Wintertime...
Old May 4, 2021, 2:36 am

in my record it was actually 17:55 and 09:35 during Europen Summertime and 18:00 and 10:35 during Wintertime...
Good point.
For what it's worth, my records as of July 2019
BinSabai likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
In find the early afternoon departure time to the far east horrible.
I'm not tired to sleep, and when I am finally tired (i.e. middle of the night in Europe), it's time to get up and disembark.

By the way: the one (maybe main) reason for this odd schedule to BKK is that the cabin crew has to return on the same plane.
arrival at around 5 AM, then getting quarantined in a hotel room for the day, and departing the same night at 11:20 PM.
Not too much fun.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
In find the early afternoon departure time to the far east horrible.
I'm not tired to sleep, and when I am finally tired (i.e. middle of the night in Europe), it's time to get up and disembark.

By the way: the one (maybe main) reason for this odd schedule to BKK is that the cabin crew has to return on the same plane.
arrival at around 5 AM, then getting quarantined in a hotel room for the day, and departing the same night at 11:20 PM.
Not too much fun.
indeed yes they return with the same plane
but they also returned the same day during European winter time with an arrival time at 08:40 AM but left just a little bit later...
most of the TG precovid daily flights from Europe to BKK (ZRH, FRA, CDG, MUC, LHR etc.etc.) were leaving early afternoon; flew those dozens of times and got used to... it helps if you shorten your sleep the night ahead of your flight and never sleep during arrival day...
Old May 5, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
indeed yes they return with the same plane
but they also returned the same day during European winter time with an arrival time at 08:40 AM but left just a little bit later...
Of course pre-pandemic the plane did not park in BKK overnight, though I assume back then the aircraft returned the same day but with a new crew that already got to enjoy a wonderful few days in Bangkok; meanwhile now the very same crew works on the return flight with the same aircraft only after a 16-hour or so rest in hotel quarantine. At least that was what I gathered from talking to cabin crew on LH, so I assume similar logic applies for LX scheduling here. Actually I did see some dead-heading pilots on FRA-BKK, so I wonder if a new crew flies the plane but the same FAs work in the cabin?
Old May 5, 2021, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Of course pre-pandemic the plane did not park in BKK overnight, though I assume back then the aircraft returned the same day but with a new crew that already got to enjoy a wonderful few days in Bangkok; meanwhile now the very same crew works on the return flight with the same aircraft only after a 16-hour or so rest in hotel quarantine. At least that was what I gathered from talking to cabin crew on LH, so I assume similar logic applies for LX scheduling here. Actually I did see some dead-heading pilots on FRA-BKK, so I wonder if a new crew flies the plane but the same FAs work in the cabin?
pre-covid they had a daily flight, the crew stayed for one night and a bit more than 24 hours and could also get some leisure time in Bangkok and then returned with the next airplane arriving in BKK.
now there are only 3 flights a week (Tue, Thu and Sat ZRH BKK and Wed, Fri, Sun back) and the crew is not allowed to leave the quarantine hotel; that's why they let them return the same day
Old May 5, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
And even better pre 2014. I remember departure ex ZRH at 22:45 and the return ex BKK departing 23:40. Two night flights with a flat bed, nothing better to & from SE Asia.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by MichielR
And even better pre 2014. I remember departure ex ZRH at 22:45 and the return ex BKK departing 23:40. Two night flights with a flat bed, nothing better to & from SE Asia.
Correct - that was when the flight continued to Singapore. Took it several times in 2008 and was perfect, especially on the way back: you were ready to sleep, and had more than 10 hours before you landed at 6am in Zurich. Nice long night, and ready to go to work directly from the airport (after freshening up at the ZRH arrivals lounge).
Old May 6, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Correct - that was when the flight continued to Singapore. Took it several times in 2008 and was perfect, especially on the way back: you were ready to sleep, and had more than 10 hours before you landed at 6am in Zurich. Nice long night, and ready to go to work directly from the airport (after freshening up at the ZRH arrivals lounge).
Though they only started SIN in 2012? Or was that a restant? I remember BKK with the night flights only from 2010-2014 and then they changed the schedule to what's been posted, probably so that they could improve fleet utilization (and reduce crew hotel time, but that's another story).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.