LX to cease flights from BSL beginning 2015

Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More
LX to cease flights from BSL beginning 2015

According to the local newspaper LX ceases flights from BSL beginning 2015. LH plans to offer some flights under the brand "Eurowings".

Link: Bazonline.ch
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: some
Another brilliant move by LH management to strengthen Easyjet et al....
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
There was some talking about creating a "wings family" in the Swiss news (in context with this move).

Would we see someting like "Swiss wings" and "Austrian Wings" "Lot wings" "SN Wings" and so on?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, LOT is a separate company with no equity links to the LH Group.

LX/SN/OS will get Eurowings.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, LOT is a separate company with no equity links to the LH Group.

Chickenwings.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
So that's the reason U2 have announced BSL-LGW and BSL-LTN and FR are continuing with BSL-STN.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quite like this quote:

"The plan is for two to four Eurowings A320s to put pressure on EasyJet, which last year flew 54% of passengers at Basel, Lufthansa said on Wednesday. Swiss had a market share of 5%."

http://origin.swissinfo.ch/eng/eurow...95602?rss=true

Sounds like quite a bit of "pressure" the plan will be putting on the competition- Easyjet must be really worried now.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The BSL ops of LX is a remnant of some grand SR plan had to fly everywhere from every small airport.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The BSL ops of LX is a remnant of some grand SR plan had to fly everywhere from every small airport.
That was Crossair, not Swissair.

Crossair indeed had the Basel hub including trunk routes such as Basel-Baden-Baden/Karlsruhe or Basel-Friedrichshafen.

During the SR days there was an A330 going to EWR, at the time that was a special request from the pharmaceuticals industry in Basel. Maybe a Privatair BBJ would have been sufficient.

Now Easyjet will completely dominate, just as they already dominate GVA. But then we must admit that LX (or LH) simply do not have the right operating model for serving non hub P2P routes in Europe for small markets like BSL.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:19 am

If this triggers one of the ME3 carriers to send multiple daily 777 (or 380s) to BSL then traveling to Asia/Africa would become relatively convenient from there.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If this triggers one of the ME3 carriers to send multiple daily 777 (or 380s) to BSL then traveling to Asia/Africa would become relatively convenient from there.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:00 am

Update:

http://www.20min.ch/finance/news/sto...rueck-10622971

Swiss will close BSL for good at the end of May 2015 (I assume that means 31st May)

The more important part: No plans yet if there will be any further operations in BSL from LH group (ie, Eurowings) - ie, not just no date set yet, according to the article it's unclear IF there will be any Eurowings base at all.

So it might be that - apart the shuttle flights to MUC/FRA, and the "Flugzug" to ZRH (which isn't a flight anyway..) BSL will be given up fully. The article basically says that Easyjet has won.

Doesn't surprise me. Direct trains to ZRH in just a bit more than 1 hour (compared with a rather annoying ride on Bus 50), unclear situation about further status of BSL (France wants more money..) plus Easyjet having the better business model for whatever was left at BSL.

Plus, for LH, Frankfurt airport reachable in under 3hrs with hourly trains from Basel. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it some sort of "LH Train" as well, just keeping the flight to MUC as "last man standing" in the near future.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
It was stupid of LX to announce to cease operations at BSL without having good alternative plans at hand... In the case of BCN, I am happy that Vueling steps in, maybe LCY will be served by another carrier, PRG will probably be lost and HAM an EasyJet monopoly, which is not good for the airport.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Swiss own press release on the subject:
http://www.swiss.com/corporate/EN/me...elease20141208

My main take aways:
- BSL Ops never made a profit
- Eurowings Ops ex-BSL not a given

As previously announced, SWISS will cease its flight operations at EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg at the end of May 2015, since these have failed to generate a profit ever since they were commenced. The decision has been taken independently of whether Basel may be chosen as a future Eurowings base of the Lufthansa Group.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Update:

...So it might be that - apart the shuttle flights to MUC/FRA, and the "Flugzug" to ZRH (which isn't a flight anyway..) BSL will be given up fully. The article basically says that Easyjet has won...

...Plus, for LH, Frankfurt airport reachable in under 3hrs with hourly trains from Basel. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it some sort of "LH Train" as well, just keeping the flight to MUC as "last man standing" in the near future.
My anecdotal observation is also that U2 has become quite dominant at BSL/MLH.

Last week on Wednesday morning early, the departure board at BSL was full of EasyJet flights, and I counted 8 EasyJet A320s on the ground, with another arrival as we were pushing back with our Cityline flight to FRA. Despite living in Freiburg, I don't originate from BSL very often (only typically to go to LON or BRU), and I was reminded again that as much as I am growing to detest DB, they are equally if not more convenient as a feeder to FRA compared to flying from BSL. I am returning this Wed again to BSL, and when I include the taxi ride, it will actually take me more time to get home than simply taking DB from FRA directly to Freiburg (my house is 12 min by car/taxi from Hbf FR). I flew from BSL this time because I found the ticket price was about the same as ex-FRA (which is not typically the case).

Train or drive to ZRH is also, IMHO, easier than trying to feed in from BSL.

Especially if the French want to make operations more expensive/difficult, it is not surprising to me that LX wants to give up at BSL/MLH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.