SWISS introduces "SWISS Choice" (seat reservation, ancillary services)

Old Aug 19, 14, 7:01 pm

Great. I just booked a trip for December and found out I cannot select seats until checkin. Ugh.
Old Aug 19, 14, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Great. I just booked a trip for December and found out I cannot select seats until checkin. Ugh.
Not even by forking over real currency?
Old Sep 3, 14, 11:02 am

I'd recommend against any of the ancillary services

I just booked a roundtrip to Zurich. With 2 evouchers left, I booked economy out and business return. Since I'm meeting up with my partner for our anniversary, I opted for the chocolate cake on the return (biz) segment and apparently flagged my entire reservation as "special". That means you can't apply evouchers online nor can Miles&More support cannot touch it (nor can they see what is "special", when I explained they were as entertained as I was at how bad this is).

Calls to Swiss says they can't modify the reservation to remove the special request because I booked online (don't the majority of passengers?), nor can I find any place on their website to modify this selection after the booking. So I can look forward to a 14 hr flight in economy because 10 days later I opted for a 65 CHF chocolate cake 10 days later [yes it's also more expensive than Sprüngli].
Old Sep 3, 14, 2:48 pm

Have you tried writing to the Swiss Lurker? This is rather hilarious.. I guess you also killed your chances for an opup etc. with being "special"..
Old Sep 3, 14, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Have you tried writing to the Swiss Lurker? This is rather hilarious.. I guess you also killed your chances for an opup etc. with being "special"..
It gets better:
- Miles&More instructed to call Swiss
- Swiss phone support said have to do online
- Swiss online support said I have to call Swiss phone support

Back to Miles&More:
- "No problem! Ask at the airport and we'll be able to manually pull your evouchers up to 4 hrs before the flight."

Regardless of whether I would actually arrive at the airport 4 hrs in advance, check-in only opens 3 hrs in advance and isn't otherwise open in the preceding 24 hr window (flying from SFO).

So yep, in the interest of an overpriced chocolate cake as a fun upsell I shot myself in the foot for SEN op-ups (the flight is oversold) as well as voucher/mile based upgrades. I'd recommend skipping the cake in the future
Old Sep 3, 14, 3:32 pm

dhotchkiss: I mean the Swiss Lurker here in this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...ss-lurker.html

Often he can find a solution where the Teflon-M&M/Swiss hotline couldn't.

However, his powers are limited as much I'm aware, and he can't do more than internally check whats going on imho. Which often is enough to solve an issue, but not always.
Old Sep 5, 14, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by weero View Post
Not even by forking over real currency?
Codeshare ... sigh
Old Sep 15, 14, 4:18 am

Programs: Miles and More
My experience has not been good so far....

I made a reservation for ZRH-NRT (economiy flex) for my wife and my daughter for Monday, 29 September and duly paid an ASR fee (CHF 99 per person if I remember well), the seat was booked accordingly.

I had to re-book the flight and to advance it by one day, i.e. on Sunday, 28 September.

The travel agent (Amex) mentioned that the ASR would be valid also on the new flight. Now it turns out that the ASR is worthless as Swiss blocks the reservation as soon as 75% of the seats are sold. I will have to see what reservation I can make during the web check-in.

It also looks like the money for the ASR is down the drain....

The ASR turns out to a rip-off for customers like me, who end up paying twice for flexibility: (i) the ticket price is very much higher if you want a flexible ticket and (ii) you risk losing the ASR fee.

Regards,
Adrian
Old Sep 23, 14, 12:15 pm

When I asked SwissLurker I was told they don't allow seat selection for codeshares since they do not get the proper information (e.g. full ticket information) from other airlines. They claim to have blocked it to be "fair" to all customers. What doesn't make sense is that if this was true then it would also be the same case for business and first class and not just economy codeshares.

Its terrible decision to not even allow codeshare customers to pay for seat selection. At checkin I am sure we will be left with two middle seats. Sigh .... likely my last time flying Swiss in economy.
Old Sep 29, 14, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
LX charges *G for advance intra-euro seat assignment?

Seems pretty tacky, when did this start?
Old Sep 30, 14, 2:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
According to my information, LH has been doing this for quite some time.
Why would LH/LX offer seat-assignments for free to A3 Gold Card holders? Do they think, there are something special?
Old Sep 30, 14, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
According to my information, LH has been doing this for quite some time.
Why would LH/LX offer seat-assignments for free to A3 Gold Card holders? Do they think, there are something special?
Without a , it's hard to know if your question is ironic....

I'm rather hoping it is - but if it's not, the answer is enshrined in the spirit of alliance agreements.

If these are falling apart, we all need to worry.

I value any privileges I get from using my senator card with alliance partners, and i have no problem with Lufthansa granting reciprocal favours to Aegean-folk.
Old Sep 30, 14, 5:03 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
Seems pretty tacky, when did this start?
Check this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...-services.html

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
[...]
If these are falling apart, we all need to worry.

I value any privileges I get from using my senator card with alliance partners, and i have no problem with Lufthansa granting reciprocal favours to Aegean-folk.
+1 !
Old Sep 30, 14, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
+1 !
+2
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Free seat selection is not part of an alliance agreement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: