SWISS / Edelweiss New routes and changes

Old Oct 14, 2023, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Gioventu
I’ve heard from an internal LX source today evening that also ICN will be started in 2024.
Any one have any info around this?
Similar question to my post here: LX ZRH to ICN Direct again?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
is it true ?

Originally Posted by Gioventu
I’ve heard from an internal LX source today evening that also ICN will be started in 2024.
how reliable is your source ?
Don't you think they would have announced ICN together with DC and Toronto ?

I really hope it will finally happen. ZRH-ICN is a huge gap in the Swiss network.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
Originally Posted by milesfixed
how reliable is your source ?
Don't you think they would have announced ICN together with DC and Toronto ?

I really hope it will finally happen. ZRH-ICN is a huge gap in the Swiss network.
Wat about KIX, the route that barely launched in March 2020?
milesfixed likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: LXFF
Originally Posted by LXA350
Wat about KIX, the route that barely launched in March 2020?
With the extra miles to go around Russia, I would think any asia expansion is harder to justify right now.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
From 22JAN24, 6weekly RTM.
HKG1111 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
LX will do RTM? Huh.

edit: see it. A bit irregular schedule, and only until end of Winter 23/24.

I was hoping it would connect to the new KSC route, would be very convenient for me, unfortunately it doesn't really.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Oct 26, 2023 at 5:02 am
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Initially I thought this route was opened to bring Dutch ski tourists to Switzerland (just as HV flies from Rotterdam to Geneva). But not with these schedules, no Saturday flight, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:53 am

The lack of Saturday flight I don't think would matter in that case, as you'd want to have a full day of skiing on Saturday ideally. But then I would expect a Friday flight in the evening (similar to Tuesday) so you can ideally leave after work, and also a Sunday flight in the (late) afternoon so you can get some skiing in before you leave ideally.

As it is, you'd leave Friday early afternoon, too early to have a meaningful day of work/whatever at home, but late enough that by the time you arrive at your resort after dark. And on Sunday, you'd be leaving ZRH quite early.

I'm thinking if this is not LHg testing the waters for RTM as Schiphol is at capacity.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:49 am

For skiing holidays, the Saturday flights are much more important, because Saturday is the "change" day in almost all holiday appartments (rentals start and end on Saturdays) and often in hotels as well during the peak season. What you describe is for weekend ski trips, which are less common. I promise you, a Saturday at an airport like GVA or INN or CMF (Chambéry). For instance, on a Saturday in February there are 50 (!) flights between London and Geneva (18x BA from LHR, LGW, LCY // 8x Swiss from LHR, LGW, LCY // 24x Easyjet from LGW, LTN, SEN). On a Friday that same weekend there are "only" 43 flights, on a mid-week day during the UK there are 33. To compare, on a weekday in May there a only 21 flights between London and Geneva. So yes, weekend flights matter, but Saturday is "the" day. The variation is even more marked for destinations that are pure ski destinations/don't have some non-ski traffic mixed in, such as INN. 30 flights on a Winter Saturday (including several flights by KL, HV and OS to AMS, EIN and RTM) vs 23 on a Winter Friday vs only 12 mid-week. Chambéry has flights only on Saturday (many) and Sunday (a few), nothing on Fridays.

Sorry, off-topic but related: what is it with the Dutch and complaining about prices in ski resorts all the time?? In Swiss ski resorts, whenever I meet Dutch people or overhear their conversations in ski lifts and cable cars, they complain about how costly transportation in the country and up the mountain, how they go to this or that mountain food outlet because it's cheaper, how they play tricks to get less expensive ski passes, how prices are so much higher than xxx for accomodation... Seriously, it seems to be 75% of the conversation topic. As if they were traumatised. I get it, SUI is very expensive especially for those coming with EUR, which is why many rather go to cheap France or inexpensive Austria. But choosing to go to expensive Switzerland and then moaning about it all the time in such an obsessive way? I just know some Dutch colleagues from work so don't really "know" the country and its people - are Dutch people in general penny-pinchers?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:22 am

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I wasn't aware of that facet of ski holidaying.

The Dutch are penny pinching, but I think this might just be sticker shock, especially lately with the CHF exchange rate. There are not many places more expensive than The Netherlands in Europe, and Switzerland is one of them.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: LXFF
I go every year with some friends in Zermatt and it always blows my mind how cheap it is for what you get. Mountains in North America are either small or very expensive, or both.

plus I get to fly Swiss if I go to Switzerland
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ced_lx
I go every year with some friends in Zermatt and it always blows my mind how cheap it is for what you get. Mountains in North America are either small or very expensive, or both.

plus I get to fly Swiss if I go to Switzerland
Yep. Zermatt for me as well (in fact I go this afternoon!), and I am always surprised how many Americans there are. They tell me that it's less expensive, even including the flights!

Anyways, off topic.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:07 am

The US is a different world. Anything basic/standard is usually a bit cheaper, but if you can present it as at least upper middle class kinda thing, suddenly there's a brutal markup. A 5 euro wine going for $25 and nobody finds it weird kinda thing.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 4:43 pm

Saw some reasonably priced RTM-GVA flights via ZRH last week, however when I wanted to book today I only saw flights for 4k+ EUR return. I checked some other destinations in Europe and it looks like they pulled fares there as well for some reason (they are still available from AMS).
Old Nov 9, 2023, 4:38 am

Weirdly enough if you want to fly anywhere other than Europe, prices are quite normal.

I wonder how they even came to those numbers, like 5379 to Madrid. That's not even like full IATA flex Y
KL714 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.