FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS changing their booking system to Amadeus in 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1500078-swiss-changing-their-booking-system-amadeus-2016-a.html)

LH4116 Sep 4, 13 6:03 am

SWISS changing their booking system to Amadeus in 2016

Hello,

I've always been rather curious why SWISS doesn't use Amadeus as their booking system, which is rather strange given that the rest of the LH Group and the majority of Star Alliance uses it.

Will SWISS be changing to Amadeus anytime soon. And if not, why?

TRAVELSIG Sep 4, 13 6:19 am

Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 21386467)
Hello,

I've always been rather curious why SWISS doesn't use Amadeus as their booking system, which is rather strange given that the rest of the LH Group and the majority of Star Alliance uses it.

Will SWISS be changing to Amadeus anytime soon. And if not, why?

Recently the rumour is they made some rather large investments with SITA so I doubt they will be changing shortly FWIW.

oliver2002 Sep 4, 13 6:20 am

LX has contracts with atraxis/EDS/HP that run for some time (LX use axsRes and axsControl). AFAIK they will move to Amadeus Altea after LH does. LH has already moved the RM to Altea Inventory system, DCS and ticketing will follow in mid 2014. Sita is infrastructure.

Mr. Strong Sep 6, 13 3:03 am

If SWISS moves to Amadeus Altea, I hope they avoid the cluster f*** issues that CX pax had to endure when CX migrated to Amadeus. However, I think CX migration problems were likely rooted in extremely poor CX IT.

oliver2002 Sep 6, 13 3:30 am

AY migrated to Altea with a LOT of problems, I've been part of a checkin meltdown in December and it has repeated a few times since then.

SK migrated to Altea in Feb last year and has been mostly OK so far. LH has migrated their entire nordic operation to Altea as a test last year (because SK does the handling of LH there) and is learning from it. So far all is positive.

NA-Flyer May 21, 14 9:39 am

LX to use Amadeus

Finally LX will use Amadeus in its reservation system as early as 2016:

http://www.travolution.co.uk/article...ines-deal.html

irishguy28 May 21, 14 9:46 am

early!!! :D

gojko88 May 21, 14 10:40 am

At long last.

Long.

LH4116 May 21, 14 1:44 pm

It should be a requirement for Star Alliance airlines.

oliver2002 May 22, 14 1:29 am

Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 22901969)
It should be a requirement for Star Alliance airlines.

Indeed, the Amadeus Altéa platform was developed with *A to provide a common basis. UA opted out when CO took them over, but all other partners primarily use it. SN&LX are due to follow LH & OS who will migrate later this year. TP already migrated from axsRes to Altea, so they will have some experience already.

LX22 May 22, 14 1:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 22904882)
Indeed, the Amadeus Altéa platform was developed with *A to provide a common basis. UA opted out when CO took them over, but all other partners primarily use it. SN&LX are due to follow LH & OS who will migrate later this year. TP already migrated from axsRes to Altea, so they will have some experience already.

In GVA all *A carriers still use axsRes, with the exception of A3. It's now been 3 years that I hear we're moving on to Altéa, still no news, some airlines did the move but none of them but A3 were part of *A.

Anyway that is good for me as I prefer my old program and not a fan at all of GUI interfaces. But well, I guess it'll be good for everybody in the end.

weero May 22, 14 5:01 am

Originally Posted by LX22 (Post 22904929)
..But well, I guess it'll be good for everybody in the end.

No matter how messed up it will be, it cannot possibly be worse than the status quo.

At ZRH LH left LX de facto non-operational. The times I heard "we can no longer.." for the most trivial of all operations is mind blowing. Cannot upgrade an LH flight operated by LH as the system doesn't allow access to LH 'stuff'.
Cannot change the seat on an LH operated flight (after the seat was change automatically for me :rolleyes: ).

Cannot upgrade an LX flight with M&M instruments as it has been booked by a 3rd party (my most recent encounter) - the degree of how non-op LH/LX are at ZRH is hard to convey.

San Gottardo May 25, 14 2:17 am

It takes a long time to migrate from one IT platform to another. So for a migration that starts mid-2014 to end in 2016 is quite reasonable. The real question is: why didn't they start before mid-2014, for instance in 2006?

YuropFlyer May 27, 14 1:05 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 22920899)
It takes a long time to migrate from one IT platform to another. So for a migration that starts mid-2014 to end in 2016 is quite reasonable. The real question is: why didn't they start before mid-2014, for instance in 2006?

imho Swiss had just renewed their contract before LH took over, and quitting it and changing to LH's platform would have cost some money..

And we all know how the bean counters in Frankfurt work.. don't spend a penny to save a pound ;)

oliver2002 May 27, 14 2:12 am

PLus you have to consider that its not just using a new software, they have to replicate their fine tuned revenue management over to Altea, which requires considerable effort.

swiss_global Jun 15, 14 9:00 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 22905399)
No matter how messed up it will be, it cannot possibly be worse than the status quo.

Agree. Definitely a very positive move!

oliver2002 Jan 18, 16 4:58 am

LX moves to Altéa for reservation and inventory in two weeks... the DCS follows in spring. It seems the online booking display facility is already accepting amadeus record locators...

YuropFlyer Jan 18, 16 2:19 pm

Not sure if it's relevant (or related) to this, but I've done some searched on Kayak today: When I checked the Swiss flights (some European routes where there is little alternatives) it always showed me the various OTAs, but NEVER Swiss website offering it (Yes, I know, I could go there, enter the flights manually etc. - but most users on Kayak won't do that) - any chance that is related to the switch?

A picture says more than 1000 words:

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uplo...vafqzxir3o.jpg

airoli Jan 18, 16 6:55 pm

I imagine whether Kayak (which is owned by OTA Priceline) shows search results and referral links from swiss.com is much more a commercial decision between the two involved parties than a technical one.

oliver2002 Jan 18, 16 10:48 pm

Yes, its the same with LH regional right now. I'm looking at a MUC-BCN return in April and even if I select LH I only get 10 other sites in the list.

LH4116 Jan 20, 16 4:55 pm

Is there a chance that SWISS will make the same screw up as SQ did when they transitioned to Amadeus, and release a floodgate of First Class awards to all *A partners? I know, it's wishful thinking :D

oliver2002 Jan 21, 16 1:18 am

TG had major hickups when they moved to the CITP too... ;)

rosenkavalier Jan 22, 16 11:45 am

I am told by a travel agent friend that LX's migration to Amadeus will occur on 30 January...
Any news on that?

Would be nice to know, as I have had issues purchasing LH tickets at the LX ticket office at ZRH, since they can't access LH fares. Never mind that LX is ticketing agent for LH and OS at ZRH and the logos of all 3 airlines feature prominently at the ticket desk at ZRH...
Most recently, the LX employee tried to replicate the same itinerary that LH had put on hold for me and price it on 724 ticket stock, it quoted me a price more than double...

You think it will be possible to start accessing LH fares from the LX system on 31 January?

oliver2002 Jan 22, 16 2:29 pm

Yes, the inventory control and GDS will migrate next week. DCS (axContol) will move to Altea later this year.

rosenkavalier Jan 23, 16 10:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26063779)
Yes, the inventory control and GDS will migrate next week. DCS (axContol) will move to Altea later this year.

I guess the transition period of the first week or so will be a hot mess??
Will LX office on the Bahnhofstrasse will be able to handle LH/OS ticketing, or just strictly airport office?

San Gottardo Jan 24, 16 12:58 am

SWISS changing their booking system to Amadeus in 2016

What does "DCS" stand for?

airoli Jan 24, 16 1:46 am

Departure Control System. The system that handles check-in and flight close-out.

goliath Jan 25, 16 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier (Post 26062834)
I am told by a travel agent friend that LX's migration to Amadeus will occur on 30 January...
Any news on that?

LX.com now displays the following on the booking page:

Important information: Change of SWISS’s reservation system over the weekend of 30-31 January 2016 (start Saturday 17:00 CET). During this time, no flight bookings and reservation changes will be possible.
linking to more detailled information here: SWISS changes reservation system:

Temporary suspension of services

Over the weekend of 30-31 January, SWISS will be changing to the reservation system that is used by the entire Lufthansa Group, which will provide our customers with significant benefits.

SWISS’s entire reservation system will be unavailable from Saturday, 30 January (around 5 pm CET) until mid-morning on Sunday, January 31.

Kindly note that during the transition phase, no SWISS flights (including codeshare) can be booked or modified online or by phone. Due to this, we would like to ask you to plan ahead accordingly and book your flights in advance.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and look forward to providing you with even better service in the future.

Kind regards,

Swiss International Air Lines

rcs85551 Jan 31, 16 3:55 am

The migration has been successful and LX is operating on Amadeus Altéa since this morning.

fanb Jan 31, 16 4:34 am

Does this mean that i will be able to open bookings made on swiss.com in my profile on lh.com and the m&m website? that would be cool ..

klausa Jan 31, 16 5:28 am

Nope. At least it doesn't work for bookings made before the switchover.

goliath Jan 31, 16 5:41 am

Adding older bookings to M&M / CheckMyTrip / ... works fine for me.

Obviously, the old LX booking reference does not work.

You have to find the new Amadeus reference first, which is hidden here: open your booking on swiss.com -> click on "e-Documents" -> "send". Here you will find the new Amadeus booking reference at the top.

lukasz Jan 31, 16 6:03 am

It looks though that only booking classes U and above are loaded for GVA originating flights

fanb Jan 31, 16 6:24 am

Originally Posted by goliath (Post 26109237)
Adding older bookings to M&M / CheckMyTrip / ... works fine for me.

Obviously, the old LX booking reference does not work.

You have to find the new Amadeus reference first, which is hidden here: open your booking on swiss.com -> click on "e-Documents" -> "send". Here you will find the new Amadeus booking reference at the top.

Thank you ! I could also see the new booking code on the top of the my bookings page on the left under booking reference :) !

goliath Jan 31, 16 6:45 am

Originally Posted by fanb (Post 26109321)
Thank you !

That would have to go to spoky83 at VFT, that is where I got the tip from.

LHSEN Jan 31, 16 7:41 am

Just tried to change my trip online via SWISS.com, did not work ...

Your enquiry cannot be processed at the moment due to technical problems. Please try again later. (90002)

San Gottardo Jan 31, 16 7:44 am

Originally Posted by fanb (Post 26109074)
Does this mean that i will be able to open bookings made on swiss.com in my profile on lh.com and the m&m website? that would be cool ..

Yes.

But you'll need to manually import your LX bookings into LH. Which is simple, as the new reservation reference is the one shown in the booking overview on the LX site if you have booked through a channel that used Amadeus (some online portals, travel agencies, etc). Otherwise you get it by clicking on "e-documents". Just use that to manually add it to the LH booking overview.

Except that just now the LX booking system has a breakdown... managed to import several bookings, but then suddenly it doesn't work anymore, nor can I see details of the booking on the LX site. Matter of time I guess.

PetzLUX Jan 31, 16 8:01 am

Originally Posted by fanb (Post 26109074)

I just did import all my LX bookings into M&M. Works fine, all seats are still in...^

LoungeLizzard Jan 31, 16 9:26 am

Yes, it looks like they didn't break it so far. That's good.

Apart from the fact that I can still see my reservations, I did expect a bit more.
For example, I would like to see more services to become available (again) online. Wishful thinking maybe but I find that LX is not progressing at all here.

- The Multi City Tool on Swiss appears to be as poor as before. (It refuses to find availability for anything even slightly interesting.)
- I still can neither reserve nor see special meals or special services online.
- Seats still show incorrectly or not at all for other star alliance carriers in my reservation. (for example United.)

So those smart people at the world economic forum can continue to talk about a new industrial revolution.
I'd already be happy with a small evolution.

greg5 Jan 31, 16 10:27 am

I've got a booking now working with the 'My Flights' iPhone app. It'll be interesting to see if it now picks up any changes that happen with the flights, as it should.