FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   SWISS changing their booking system to Amadeus in 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1500078-swiss-changing-their-booking-system-amadeus-2016-a.html)

LH4116 Sep 4, 13 7:03 am

SWISS changing their booking system to Amadeus in 2016
 
Hello,

I've always been rather curious why SWISS doesn't use Amadeus as their booking system, which is rather strange given that the rest of the LH Group and the majority of Star Alliance uses it.

Will SWISS be changing to Amadeus anytime soon. And if not, why?

TRAVELSIG Sep 4, 13 7:19 am


Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 21386467)
Hello,

I've always been rather curious why SWISS doesn't use Amadeus as their booking system, which is rather strange given that the rest of the LH Group and the majority of Star Alliance uses it.

Will SWISS be changing to Amadeus anytime soon. And if not, why?

Recently the rumour is they made some rather large investments with SITA so I doubt they will be changing shortly FWIW.

oliver2002 Sep 4, 13 7:20 am

LX has contracts with atraxis/EDS/HP that run for some time (LX use axsRes and axsControl). AFAIK they will move to Amadeus Altea after LH does. LH has already moved the RM to Altea Inventory system, DCS and ticketing will follow in mid 2014. Sita is infrastructure.

Mr. Strong Sep 6, 13 4:03 am

If SWISS moves to Amadeus Altea, I hope they avoid the cluster f*** issues that CX pax had to endure when CX migrated to Amadeus. However, I think CX migration problems were likely rooted in extremely poor CX IT.

oliver2002 Sep 6, 13 4:30 am

AY migrated to Altea with a LOT of problems, I've been part of a checkin meltdown in December and it has repeated a few times since then.

SK migrated to Altea in Feb last year and has been mostly OK so far. LH has migrated their entire nordic operation to Altea as a test last year (because SK does the handling of LH there) and is learning from it. So far all is positive.

NA-Flyer May 21, 14 10:39 am

LX to use Amadeus
 
Finally LX will use Amadeus in its reservation system as early as 2016:

http://www.travolution.co.uk/article...ines-deal.html

irishguy28 May 21, 14 10:46 am

early!!! :D

gojko88 May 21, 14 11:40 am

At long last.

Long.

LH4116 May 21, 14 2:44 pm

It should be a requirement for Star Alliance airlines.

oliver2002 May 22, 14 2:29 am


Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 22901969)
It should be a requirement for Star Alliance airlines.

Indeed, the Amadeus Altéa platform was developed with *A to provide a common basis. UA opted out when CO took them over, but all other partners primarily use it. SN&LX are due to follow LH & OS who will migrate later this year. TP already migrated from axsRes to Altea, so they will have some experience already.

LX22 May 22, 14 2:44 am


Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 22904882)
Indeed, the Amadeus Altéa platform was developed with *A to provide a common basis. UA opted out when CO took them over, but all other partners primarily use it. SN&LX are due to follow LH & OS who will migrate later this year. TP already migrated from axsRes to Altea, so they will have some experience already.

In GVA all *A carriers still use axsRes, with the exception of A3. It's now been 3 years that I hear we're moving on to Altéa, still no news, some airlines did the move but none of them but A3 were part of *A.

Anyway that is good for me as I prefer my old program and not a fan at all of GUI interfaces. But well, I guess it'll be good for everybody in the end.

weero May 22, 14 6:01 am


Originally Posted by LX22 (Post 22904929)
..But well, I guess it'll be good for everybody in the end.

No matter how messed up it will be, it cannot possibly be worse than the status quo.

At ZRH LH left LX de facto non-operational. The times I heard "we can no longer.." for the most trivial of all operations is mind blowing. Cannot upgrade an LH flight operated by LH as the system doesn't allow access to LH 'stuff'.
Cannot change the seat on an LH operated flight (after the seat was change automatically for me :rolleyes: ).

Cannot upgrade an LX flight with M&M instruments as it has been booked by a 3rd party (my most recent encounter) - the degree of how non-op LH/LX are at ZRH is hard to convey.

San Gottardo May 25, 14 3:17 am

It takes a long time to migrate from one IT platform to another. So for a migration that starts mid-2014 to end in 2016 is quite reasonable. The real question is: why didn't they start before mid-2014, for instance in 2006?

YuropFlyer May 27, 14 2:05 am


Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 22920899)
It takes a long time to migrate from one IT platform to another. So for a migration that starts mid-2014 to end in 2016 is quite reasonable. The real question is: why didn't they start before mid-2014, for instance in 2006?

imho Swiss had just renewed their contract before LH took over, and quitting it and changing to LH's platform would have cost some money..

And we all know how the bean counters in Frankfurt work.. don't spend a penny to save a pound ;)

oliver2002 May 27, 14 3:12 am

PLus you have to consider that its not just using a new software, they have to replicate their fine tuned revenue management over to Altea, which requires considerable effort.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:52 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.