FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Mxp-zrh C, Zrh-Jfk F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1480894-mxp-zrh-c-zrh-jfk-f.html)

fkaway Jul 11, 2013 1:26 am

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines (Post 21074731)
Rome is a splendid city but I would second the advice to avoid FCO. At all costs.

MXP has always worked for me when transiting through ZRH but I try to leave myself a buffer, i.e., book an earlier MXP-ZRH flight than the minimum allowable transit time. You did not specify whether you're thinking of making the LX mileage run to New York, but let's suppose so, and let's suppose you have the 1300 ZRH-JFK flight in mind. You might then consider booking the 0700 MXP-ZRH flight; if for some reason there's an irrop you still have two later flights that morning to catch the JFK flight.

Consider staying the night before at the Sheraton MXP, across the street from the terminal. On a C ticket you can use the fast-track security lane which, even when backed up, means you can make it from the Sheraton lobby to airside in 15 minutes.

Strikes? Yes, they happen, but normally with some notice. If for some reason there's a last-minute strike, you can still get to Milano Centrale for the 0710 train to Zurich on the Malpensa Express train at 0543 or bus to Milano Centrale at 0500 or 0530.

Thinking of a MR ZRH-XXX-ZRH-SIN/BKK so everything without any city sightseeing nor stay, just back2back transit rushing through arrival/security/gate, with minimum transit time, therefore my question about strike, fog, LX cancellation, probability ;)

TRAVELSIG Jul 11, 2013 1:54 am

Originally Posted by fkaway (Post 21077206)
Thinking of a MR ZRH-XXX-ZRH-SIN/BKK so everything without any city sightseeing nor stay, just back2back transit rushing through arrival/security/gate, with minimum transit time, therefore my question about strike, fog, LX cancellation, probability ;)

Strikes are usually announced at least 10 days in advance and usually much further- and often are cancelled before they occur. There was recently a transportation strike and although it did not affect air traffic greatly this usually means you are safe for at least a little while. I see your trip plan- just one point you may want to check is if it is less expensive to "start" your journey at MXP and then just buy a roundtrip to/from ZRH separately. If you are flying in business class particularly the MXP starting point can be interesting- the only point though is that the interesting fares are usually in "P" class which are not really interesting for a mileage run (100% miles).

senzur Jul 12, 2013 6:51 am

If you are flying in business class particularly the MXP starting point can be interesting- the only point though is that the interesting fares are usually in "P" class which are not really interesting for a mileage run (100% miles).
second that - if it's for money saving reasons, MXP is almost always better than for getting miles. Although saying this, for the price of a ZRH-somehwere-ZRH ticket in P, you can get a D ticket from/to MXP.

Strike-wise, I would be much more worried taking the train to MXP or from there rather than flying out of MXP - at least to me, the prior happened multiple times while the latter was never an issue (planning the connecting flight with one connection as a reserve in between however paid off for me twice - although only due to "normal" delays into ZRH, not cancellations).

FriendlyConfines Jul 12, 2013 7:50 am

Originally Posted by fkaway (Post 21077206)

Turnaround at MXP is simple on LX flights. From where the terminal bus (LX flights have an apron position) lets you off, instead of proceeding to baggage claim, you follow the transit sign upstairs, turn left, walk straight ahead 30 meters, and down to the boarding gate, usually A35 or A36 for LX.

fkaway Jul 15, 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by FriendlyConfines (Post 21084379)
Turnaround at MXP is simple on LX flights. From where the terminal bus (LX flights have an apron position) lets you off, instead of proceeding to baggage claim, you follow the transit sign upstairs, turn left, walk straight ahead 30 meters, and down to the boarding gate, usually A35 or A36 for LX.

Thanks everyone for your inputs ^ - yet I'm still debating if this tight evening LX back2back via MXP or VCE...

TRAVELSIG Jul 15, 2013 8:26 am

Originally Posted by fkaway (Post 21099266)
Thanks everyone for your inputs ^ - yet I'm still debating if this tight evening LX back2back via MXP or VCE...

I would choose VCE simply because there are far fewer delays at VCE compared to MXP- not that this would affect your turnaround but it will affect your time!

begemot Jul 18, 2013 7:49 am

Back from my trip, I did leave from MXP because of price. The trip was nice, no delays. I had used eVouchers to upgrade ZRH-JFK to F. When I started in Milan there was a problem with my wife's upgrade. While I was able to even check us all in online, she was missing a ticket number. After debating that this might be might fault due to a lack of eVouchers, or never confirmed upgrade eventually everything got fixed after they called Zurich.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 21016381)
Pick-up by a Business bus if it's an apron arrival. Then you have to walk to the FCL. No special arrangement if a gate arrival.

A van to E Dock where they drop you at the bottom of an elevator.

Thanks NewbieRunner, I just returned and you were right on all accounts.

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 21017250)
Humor or not, NewbieRunner comprehensively sums up the transfer arrangements (or lack thereof) you will get.

Yup, my orignal reply was to UAP but NewbieRunner was faster then me.

Bege