FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   LX 146 ZRH-DEL - Flight review (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1471157-lx-146-zrh-del-flight-review.html)

julmops May 29, 2013 8:28 am

LX 146 ZRH-DEL - Flight review

I couldn't find a specific section for this but if it does exist, please move this to the relevant spot.
This is the review of my very first long-haul flight with Swiss.

Arrived just on time on gate D35 from LHR. I had 1 hour and 20 minutes to connect to LX146 to Delhi who was departing from gate E16.
Got out of the plane first (I was on 1A) and shortly was on my way to Dock E via the Skymetro train.
Arriving in Dock E was a little bit confusing as it’s on several levels but got through security easily and arrived to the gate with 10 minutes to spare. I didn’t get the chance to visit any lounge on that particular occasion.
Soon, boarding was announced and priority boarding enforced. I was one of the first ones to be allowed through but had to wait for a few minutes arriving at the aircraft door as the Maitre de Cabine wasn’t around.
I had managed to secure 4A at online check-in as I had heard a lot of good feedback and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed.
Quickly settling in the very comfortable seat, I was offered a choice of champagne, OJ and water. I took a glass of champagne and another of water.
After a few minutes, I was presented with the Qwestion amenity kit. Green-brownish fabric with the usual suspects, however the addition of a Ricola bonbon was a nice local touch.
Menus were then handed out as were a choice of newspapers and I was pleasantly surprised that they had a few Swiss French ones !
After take –off, another round of drinks was served with snacks. There was a choice of mustard crisps and cashew nuts, I opted for both and another glass of that delicious champagne.
The Maitre de Cabine came round a few minutes later to introduce herself and switched straight to French when she saw the newspaper I was reading. She apologised in advance for her rusty French but it was really good.
A bit later, cabin crew came round to ask for our starter choice. I opted for the Taste of Switzerland option, which was sturgeon and absolutely delicious.
For main, I decided to stay within the Taste of Switzerland offer and pick the Beef Sauerbraten.
A choice of Swiss cheeses and a wonderful walnut mousse completed that superb display of Swiss cuisine.
To go with this, I went for the Swiss white and the Saint Emilion red for the cheese. Superb !
An espresso and a Baileys rounded up this wonderful meal.
I was pretty full after that so put my seat in lounge mode and watched “Quartet” which was really good.
I decided then to try the fully reclined mode and it was very comfy indeed but as it was a day flight, I didn’t want to sleep and adjust my body clock straight away.
Mid-flight, we were presented with a Moevenpick Crème Brulee ice cream, which was again superb !
After watching Hyde Park on Hudson, I decided to go for a stretch and had a little chat with the Maitre de Cabine, which is always very interesting.
Around 90 minutes before landing, another meal was served from a trolley with several choices including samosas, cold roastbeef, Nicoise salad and many other options.
Another glass of the beautiful Swiss white to go with and it was almost time to get ready for landing.
First Officer announced 20 minutes to landing and about 1 minute later corrected it to 10 minutes.
I assumed we were given more direct approach which was good and we landed ontime.
A very long taxi later, we were docked at Terminal 3.
As I was on the first row of Business and a separate jetty was brought for First Class at door L1, I sneaked out from there once all First passengers had left.
A VERY long walk back to Immigration but virtually no queue there and my luggage was already waiting for me on the carousel.
All in all, my first long haul flight with Swiss will be one to remember and I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.
I’m flying back on Sunday, so I’m really looking forward to it and will review this flight in due time.

hugolover May 29, 2013 10:19 am

SWISS LH J is wonderful, why they have to be part of LH group though, that's awful. Pulling them down to their level regrettably.

FlyingHi4Now Jun 3, 2013 7:25 pm

moved to seat config thread

LXA350 Jun 4, 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 20830304)
SWISS LH J is wonderful, why they have to be part of LH group though, that's awful. Pulling them down to their level regrettably.

Well if we look at the past I think we have to say that without the LH group there would be no LX. Nevertheless being part of the LH group does not make an automatic success story, when looking at OS and SN. Lastly LX is the little cash cow and pearl in the LH group, something they can be really proud of.

djjaguar64 Jun 4, 2013 4:14 pm

What a delightful review, Merci!!!

julmops Jun 5, 2013 12:39 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 20866492)
What a delightful review, Merci!!!

Mais de rien ! My absolute pleasure !!! :D

julmops Jun 5, 2013 6:31 am

LX147 - DEL-ZRH - Flight review

I'm adding the review for my flight back and you will notice that it's definitely not the same experience ...

My flight was scheduled for 1.15am so I decided to leave my hotel around 10pm. My hotel rate was including return transfers from and to the airport. Traffic was dense but it only took us about 25 minutes to do the 15 or so kilometres.
Upon arrival, I presented my travel documents to the armed guard at the entrance who let me in after thorough check of the document. I’m used to travel to India so it didn’t come to a surprise.
I headed straight to Zone J where I could drop my bag. Service was efficient but not very personable.
A quick stop to fill the Departure form and I went to Emigration.
It took quite a while as the officer decided to take his time in checking every page of my passport. Pity for him as it was only issued last year and there’s nothing more exciting than my Indian visa in there ;-)
Once through, I looked for the First & Business classes security lane. Only took a few minutes and I was through and in the Duty Free area.
As I was flying with Swiss, I had access to the Lufthansa Lounge which is located on 3rd floor.
I was welcomed there by a very nice lady, who asked for my boarding pass and provided me with credentials for the free wifi. I wasn’t offered a quick tour or an introduction to the lounge (a far cry from Virgin Clubhouses for example). Anyhow, I was pleased to finally being able to sit and enjoy a glass of wine.
Lounge is brand new and it shows. Service was attentive but discreet. It’s mainly a self-service affair and nothing to call home for but it served the purpose, at least for me, being out of the crowd, have a bite and a drink, waiting for your flight.
The wine was particularly to my taste and after the 3rd glass, I decided it was the right time to stop and go back to the buzz of the terminal and check the shops.
I got to Gate 10 a good 10 minutes before boarding started but I was starting to get tired and decided to wait with the others.
Finally boarding started and priority boarding strictly enforced. However, only one of the jetties was open when I arrived downstairs , meaning that people needing assistance and families with children were still queuing to get into the plane … Not a major issue but definitely on the “could have done better” list.
Once on-board, I settled in seat 4K. I was happy to have snagged one of the mini cabin seats as I really loved 4A on my way out.
4K felt a little bit different but comfortable all the same.
Pre- take off drinks were brought by an Indian male steward who happened to already be on my outbound flight. He recognised me and welcomed back. A nice gesture indeed.
Went for a glass of champagne and some water.
Menus were distributed and I duly fill the breakfast form with my choices.
Taxi took forever as it’s often the case in Delhi but once in the air, service started quite quickly. No drinks round before the meal and the meal itself was pretty poor in my opinion … A small plate of some salad mix of fruits and vegetables and 3 slices of chicken “charcuterie” and a mango dessert … Far far away for the absolute delights of the outbound flight ... I appreciate that the catering isn’t done in Zurich for flights back but the difference was so big, it’s quite a shame.
No coffee, liquor or chocolate offered at the end … Quite disappointed.
After this disappointing service, the lights were dimmed quickly so I decided to make the bed flat and watched Hitchcock (really good film by the way !)
I then proceeded to sleep, which was quite easy and I did for some 5 hours, waking up just in time for breakfast … I shouldn’t have bothered at all as this must have been the most disgusting breakfast I’ve ever had … Croissant and orange juice were good but the omelette and whatever was with it were simply revolting. I knew that I would get another breakfast on my next flight so didn’t make any fuss out of it.
Soon it was time to get ready for landing in Zurich.
Landing was smooth but the captain had to seriously apply brakes to get us out of the runway before the end …
We were slightly late and I only had 50 minutes for my connection. I was expecting to be docked at Dock E but surprisingly the aircraft went all the way to Dock B, which was the best news of the whole flight as my next flight was departing from D.
A few minutes and a security check later, I was at the gate and boarding started about 3 minutes later.
All in all, I’ve had mixed feelings about my first experience with Swiss. The outbound flight was superb, personable service and gorgeous food but the inbound was very disappointing to say the least.
I think I might need to pick and mix my Star Alliance airlines next time to get 2 day flights.

RTW1 Jun 5, 2013 6:44 am

You will that most that fly at night prefer a quick meal and then go to sleep..... lot's of threads from people here who find LX being too slow in serving when they want to sleep.

That really seems your only complaint. And if you want coffee after your meal, just ask for it....

julmops Jun 5, 2013 6:59 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 20869550)
You will that most that fly at night prefer a quick meal and then go to sleep..... lot's of threads from people here who find LX being too slow in serving when they want to sleep.

That really seems your only complaint. And if you want coffee after your meal, just ask for it....

Hi RTW1, it's mainly a feeling of being rushed, quick quick quick ... It was on a Sunday morning so nobody had to rush to the office ... I would have liked a little bit more service, maybe not to the extent of the outbound flight but for me the difference between both flights was so big that I was obviously disappointed ... For the coffee, I thought that just offering would have been nice, especially in C Class ...

RTW1 Jun 5, 2013 8:10 am

The rush was because (most) people want to sleep.... One of the major reasons for booking a premium class seat.

julmops Jun 5, 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 20869970)
The rush was because (most) people want to sleep.... One of the major reasons for booking a premium class seat.

Whilst I fully appreciate it's the case for most, I don't fly to sleep but to enjoy it ... Especially when I don't have to work the next day :p
I think I will give Turkish Airlines a go next time as most of the flights would be in the day and it's still within *A

RTW1 Jun 5, 2013 8:49 am

I don't really get your way of looking at things.... First you are happy with the flight during the day, now you're unhappy about the food on a night flight..... And as a result you're trying someone else on a day flight?

It might surprise you that others will do exactly the same since hardly anybody wants a full meal at 2 am, they want to sleep.

julmops Jun 5, 2013 11:43 am

LX 146 ZRH-DEL - Flight review

RTW1, what I would prefer is to get day flights on both outbound and inbound as I don't like sleeping in planes and prefer enjoying nice and lengthy food services, that's why I will try to get an inbound day flight when I'm flying back to India next time ...

RTW1 Jun 5, 2013 12:01 pm

Ok, now i get it..... That's also what I prefer. Although long flights starting late in the afternoon can be nice when you can have both, a decent meal with some drinks and some sleep. But it's hard to find those on both legs.

TRAVELSIG Jun 12, 2013 3:44 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 20871244)
Ok, now i get it..... That's also what I prefer. Although long flights starting late in the afternoon can be nice when you can have both, a decent meal with some drinks and some sleep. But it's hard to find those on both legs.

BKK is very good for this departing from Europe. Leave later in the evening in both directions which is ^^^