Wiki Posts
Search

B777-300ERs to replace the A340 [rumour confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
Lightbulb B777-300ERs to replace the A340 [rumour confirmed]

Swiss cube inventor and editor-in-chief of Monocle magazine Tyler Brűlé just posted in his "fast track" column of the ft this:

"...late-night Swiss departure to Bangkok... on board the A340 I chat to the captain, who tells me ... there’s a shortage of first officers and that he’s hoping his A340 will soon be replaced by 777-300ERs."

Anyway: not to be taken too seriously and highly unlikely...
Probably more wish thinking of some former MD-11 LX pilots than anything else... ?!?

link to the article: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/abcc0...#axzz26oPLPb9I
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I don't know how that man created the swiss cube, he is certainly lacking in various other fronts... FTers love to joke about him, the are a few threads, I clearly remember this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-radisson.html

Evidently he had a few Aperol Spritz too many in ZRH and missed the A330 reference to only remember it as a triple 7 What also puzzles me is that he evidently booked economy to Brisbane... on QF. The poor man...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:12 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Well he did event the cube which was iconic. A pity LX got rid of it.

He did also come up with the concept of using brown on board LX, which has survived.

Have to admit though that the guy does seem capable of doing very stupid things.

And the 77W at LX is a pipedream.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I believe LX will opt the A350 for its future replacement of the A340 fleet.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

They have a few scenarios out there, some are about taking over some A346 from LH and expanding next summer, some about buying the new A330X with a longer range, some about A350 purchases. LX shouldn't get too excited about their current good fortune and rather stick to a solid medium sized operation... expanding like crazy may not be a great idea if you look at the SR history
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:52 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Exclamation A pipedream not for everybody

Originally Posted by GVA
And the 77W at LX is a pipedream.
not for everybody.

I prefer an European product anytime and Airbus are fantastic planes and not flying fossils. Fly by wire .
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:08 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They have a few scenarios out there, some are about taking over some A346 from LH and expanding next summer, some about buying the new A330X with a longer range, some about A350 purchases. LX shouldn't get too excited about their current good fortune and rather stick to a solid medium sized operation... expanding like crazy may not be a great idea if you look at the SR history
What took down SR was the various companies on the side, notably Sabena and AOM.

LX in fact needs to expand however they seem to continually be unable to find additional crew to meet these needs. I'm not sure whether this is due to unfavorable conditions or language requirements (for example requirement to speak German & English and for flight deck crew to learn French if not spoken when hired).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by GVA
I'm not sure whether this is due to unfavorable conditions or language requirements (for example requirement to speak German & English and for flight deck crew to learn French if not spoken when hired).
I don't think language is a great barrier to recruiting. I know that most pilots and FAs of AC are not bilingual despite AC policy of providing bilingual service to all their customers.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:40 am

Well on Swiss it is, especially my "collegues romands" can get pretty upset if they can not converse with the FA's in fluent French.

Well on AC we Europeans are stuggling anyway to understand when they speak Canadien French or Canadian English
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Don't know how we came to this but it's an interesting conversation and long overdue regarding LX: the French language skills of their FA!

It seems to me, LX doesn't really care anymore about their FA having French skills. Or is it just me?
How can it be that even SBB manages to recruit people with at least some French skills, while at LX you can assist at the ever further decline of language skills limited to German (not even Swiss German in some cases) and bad English... French on non-GVA legs? Long gone.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by thomasalexandre
Don't know how we came to this but it's an interesting conversation and long overdue regarding LX: the French language skills of their FA!

It seems to me, LX doesn't really care anymore about their FA having French skills. Or is it just me?
How can it be that even SBB manages to recruit people with at least some French skills, while at LX you can assist at the ever further decline of language skills limited to German (not even Swiss German in some cases) and bad English... French on non-GVA legs? Long gone.
On my last ZRH-YUL flight the cabin crew were almost totally francophone as their first language from what I could tell.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
On my last ZRH-YUL flight the cabin crew were almost totally francophone as their first language from what I could tell.
Also I had the same experience many times on the GVA-JFK-GVA flights.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

"B777-300ERs to replace the A340 (not to be taken seriously...)"
actually more serious than I initially thought...

According to the Swiss Newspaper "Der Sonntag" - Swiss CEO Hohmeister is indeed investigating the B777 and even calls it his favorite option to replace the A340. A decision should be made within the next 6 to 12 months. Hohmeister is said to be looking for a plane with an additional 50 seats.

This article further reports about LH trying to give LX some of their A340-6. Yet Hohmeister is against this option, the seat costs being too high in his opinion. The A350 is certainly an option yet Hohmeister wants a replacement sooner than the A350 would be available.

http://www.sonntagonline.ch/ressort/wirtschaft/2603/
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:19 am

HH must remember that he probably will not earn enough to afford an expensive 77W if you compare the cost to a used 346 which LH bought pretty cheap post 9/11 and with some A380 delay discounts thrown in. My bet is still on some more A330-300X.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
HH must remember that he probably will not earn enough to afford an expensive 77W if you compare the cost to a used 346 which LH bought pretty cheap post 9/11 and with some A380 delay discounts thrown in. My bet is still on some more A330-300X.
I much prefer the 777 as an airplane to the A340/A330- I have my doubts it will come to LX but it would be great if it did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.