B777-300ERs to replace the A340 [rumour confirmed]

Old Sep 18, 12, 4:36 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ZRH / AMS
Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
Posts: 109
Lightbulb B777-300ERs to replace the A340 [rumour confirmed]

Swiss cube inventor and editor-in-chief of Monocle magazine Tyler Brűlé just posted in his "fast track" column of the ft this:

"...late-night Swiss departure to Bangkok... on board the A340 I chat to the captain, who tells me ... there’s a shortage of first officers and that he’s hoping his A340 will soon be replaced by 777-300ERs."

Anyway: not to be taken too seriously and highly unlikely...
Probably more wish thinking of some former MD-11 LX pilots than anything else... ?!?

link to the article: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/abcc0...#axzz26oPLPb9I
thomasalexandre is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 9:47 am
  #2  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,747
I don't know how that man created the swiss cube, he is certainly lacking in various other fronts... FTers love to joke about him, the are a few threads, I clearly remember this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-radisson.html

Evidently he had a few Aperol Spritz too many in ZRH and missed the A330 reference to only remember it as a triple 7 What also puzzles me is that he evidently booked economy to Brisbane... on QF. The poor man...
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 12, 10:12 am
  #3  
GVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Here there everywhere
Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,636
Well he did event the cube which was iconic. A pity LX got rid of it.

He did also come up with the concept of using brown on board LX, which has survived.

Have to admit though that the guy does seem capable of doing very stupid things.

And the 77W at LX is a pipedream.
GVA is offline  
Old Sep 19, 12, 11:20 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Posts: 7,978
I believe LX will opt the A350 for its future replacement of the A340 fleet.
NA-Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 12, 2:27 am
  #5  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,747
They have a few scenarios out there, some are about taking over some A346 from LH and expanding next summer, some about buying the new A330X with a longer range, some about A350 purchases. LX shouldn't get too excited about their current good fortune and rather stick to a solid medium sized operation... expanding like crazy may not be a great idea if you look at the SR history
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:52 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 1,781
Exclamation A pipedream not for everybody

Originally Posted by GVA View Post
And the 77W at LX is a pipedream.
not for everybody.

I prefer an European product anytime and Airbus are fantastic planes and not flying fossils. Fly by wire .
behuman is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 1:08 pm
  #7  
GVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Here there everywhere
Programs: AA EXP, NW Plat (in my heart), bmi DC Gold, BA EC Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,636
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
They have a few scenarios out there, some are about taking over some A346 from LH and expanding next summer, some about buying the new A330X with a longer range, some about A350 purchases. LX shouldn't get too excited about their current good fortune and rather stick to a solid medium sized operation... expanding like crazy may not be a great idea if you look at the SR history
What took down SR was the various companies on the side, notably Sabena and AOM.

LX in fact needs to expand however they seem to continually be unable to find additional crew to meet these needs. I'm not sure whether this is due to unfavorable conditions or language requirements (for example requirement to speak German & English and for flight deck crew to learn French if not spoken when hired).
GVA is offline  
Old Sep 22, 12, 1:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Posts: 7,978
Originally Posted by GVA View Post
I'm not sure whether this is due to unfavorable conditions or language requirements (for example requirement to speak German & English and for flight deck crew to learn French if not spoken when hired).
I don't think language is a great barrier to recruiting. I know that most pilots and FAs of AC are not bilingual despite AC policy of providing bilingual service to all their customers.
NA-Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 12, 5:40 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,063
Well on Swiss it is, especially my "collegues romands" can get pretty upset if they can not converse with the FA's in fluent French.

Well on AC we Europeans are stuggling anyway to understand when they speak Canadien French or Canadian English
Fendant is offline  
Old Sep 23, 12, 10:00 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ZRH / AMS
Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
Posts: 109
Don't know how we came to this but it's an interesting conversation and long overdue regarding LX: the French language skills of their FA!

It seems to me, LX doesn't really care anymore about their FA having French skills. Or is it just me?
How can it be that even SBB manages to recruit people with at least some French skills, while at LX you can assist at the ever further decline of language skills limited to German (not even Swiss German in some cases) and bad English... French on non-GVA legs? Long gone.
thomasalexandre is offline  
Old Sep 23, 12, 10:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,602
Originally Posted by thomasalexandre View Post
Don't know how we came to this but it's an interesting conversation and long overdue regarding LX: the French language skills of their FA!

It seems to me, LX doesn't really care anymore about their FA having French skills. Or is it just me?
How can it be that even SBB manages to recruit people with at least some French skills, while at LX you can assist at the ever further decline of language skills limited to German (not even Swiss German in some cases) and bad English... French on non-GVA legs? Long gone.
On my last ZRH-YUL flight the cabin crew were almost totally francophone as their first language from what I could tell.
Crampedin13A is online now  
Old Sep 24, 12, 1:15 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Posts: 7,978
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
On my last ZRH-YUL flight the cabin crew were almost totally francophone as their first language from what I could tell.
Also I had the same experience many times on the GVA-JFK-GVA flights.
NA-Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 22, 12, 8:22 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ZRH / AMS
Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
Posts: 109
"B777-300ERs to replace the A340 (not to be taken seriously...)"
actually more serious than I initially thought...

According to the Swiss Newspaper "Der Sonntag" - Swiss CEO Hohmeister is indeed investigating the B777 and even calls it his favorite option to replace the A340. A decision should be made within the next 6 to 12 months. Hohmeister is said to be looking for a plane with an additional 50 seats.

This article further reports about LH trying to give LX some of their A340-6. Yet Hohmeister is against this option, the seat costs being too high in his opinion. The A350 is certainly an option yet Hohmeister wants a replacement sooner than the A350 would be available.

http://www.sonntagonline.ch/ressort/wirtschaft/2603/
thomasalexandre is offline  
Old Nov 23, 12, 6:19 am
  #14  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,747
HH must remember that he probably will not earn enough to afford an expensive 77W if you compare the cost to a used 346 which LH bought pretty cheap post 9/11 and with some A380 delay discounts thrown in. My bet is still on some more A330-300X.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 12, 8:25 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VCE
Posts: 14,161
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
HH must remember that he probably will not earn enough to afford an expensive 77W if you compare the cost to a used 346 which LH bought pretty cheap post 9/11 and with some A380 delay discounts thrown in. My bet is still on some more A330-300X.
I much prefer the 777 as an airplane to the A340/A330- I have my doubts it will come to LX but it would be great if it did!
TRAVELSIG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: